Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#5808 - 20/08/1999 00:24 Emplode: Recovery function
jfranke

What would be nice is a function to recover a broken sync. E.g., i loaded 3GB to the unit which takes several hours. Just as 2.9GB are transferred, some guy (me) pulls the USB cable - resulting in loss of all the changes, so do it all over again. Would be better to restart from a point before it lost connection.

Tks, Jo

#5809 - 20/08/1999 01:28 Re: Emplode: Recovery function [Re: jfranke]
PaulH
enthusiast

Loc: England
Yes I agree. After having this happen a couple of times
due to my PC locking up it gets a bit annoying. It needs
to checkpoint after each track is uploaded.

The sync error messages are also a bit cryptic too :-)

Cheers

PaulH

#5810 - 20/08/1999 01:54 Re: Emplode: Recovery function [Re: PaulH]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
This gets to be 10 times worse when you are downloading over serial, and it blows its guts on the last synch stage....

Checkpointing is a good idea. I would not be too upset if say, on track 8 of a 10-track download something went wrong, but at least the database had been kept up to date to that point, leaving me with *something* on the disk, rather than *nothing* as at present.

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#5811 - 20/08/1999 05:57 Re: Emplode: Recovery function [Re: jfranke]
borgcube
stranger

Loc: Texas, US
I found that there is a folder(read Play list) called "Unattached Items" that all the downloads are thrown into before they are assigned to a folder. This folder is not visible on the EMPEG play list though.

A more appropriate behavior would be to create the folders and download the songs to the download folder and create the symlink(??)to the corresponding play list folder after each download. This way when (NOT if) my machine locks up (this is 98 after all) I will have my work saved up to the last complete download done. If there is a problem with the data base it can be recreated from the folder hierarchy and contents there in.

---
Kamau Wanguhu
BORGcube Systems
[email protected]

#5812 - 20/08/1999 07:50 Re: Emplode: Recovery function [Re: schofiel]
mac
addict

Loc: Cambridge, UK
Playlists aren't represented by directories and symlinks on the empeg-car disk. Every track is stored in a single directory along with playlist files. Playlists are stored as a list of all the contained tracks and playlists. One modification to a playlist causes the entire playlist to be downloaded (this doesn't take long - it's only four bytes for each track in the playlist).

When emplode downloads the database from the unit any tracks that aren't referenced are automatically added to the Unattached Items playlist so that they can be moved elsewhere - if you've suffered a failed download then you should check this playlist.

--
Mike Crowe
I may not be speaking on behalf of empeg above :-)

#5813 - 21/08/1999 09:03 Re: Emplode: Recovery function [Re: mac]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Not knowing what that playlist was I think I renamed or deleted it, is this a problem ?

Number 330 in the queue...

#5814 - 21/08/1999 11:17 Re: Emplode: Recovery function [Re: andy]
mac
addict

Not knowing what that playlist was I think I renamed or deleted it, is this a problem ?

If you renamed it then this isn't a problem - it will just never appear on the playlist list on the unit itself.

If you've deleted it then it should get recreated next time emplode connects to your unit. If it doesn't then some things may go awry.

Really it should not be possible to delete it - I'll put this on my todo list.

--
Mike Crowe

#5815 - 21/08/1999 12:34 Re: Emplode: Recovery function [Re: mac]
CHiP
enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Mike,

During an error, Is it possible for the unit to store "un-used" data on the harddrive, like the File001.chk files that are created when win95 runs scandisk, or does it delete that kind of stuff?

thanks

-CHiP

#5816 - 21/08/1999 17:41 Re: Emplode: Recovery function [Re: mac]
Jazzwire
addict

Loc: Guernsey
I renamed it to Misc, and it does appear on the unit...
It wasn't clear that it was a system thing.. =)

Jazz
(List 112, S/N 00030, 4 gig blue)
Jazz (List 112, Mk2 42 gig #40. Mk1 4 gig #30. Mk3 1.6 16v)

#5817 - 22/08/1999 06:04 Re: Emplode: Recovery function [Re: CHiP]
mac
addict

During an error, Is it possible for the unit to store "un-used" data on the harddrive, like the File001.chk files that are created when win95 runs scandisk, or does it delete that kind of stuff?

Anything that is partially downloaded should turn up in Unattached Items next time you start emplode. I can think of a few ways that partial tracks could end up taking up space on the unit without emplode seeing them but future releases should take care of this (and pick up any files erroneously left behind by earlier versions).

--
Mike Crowe

#5818 - 23/08/1999 02:37 Re: Emplode: Recovery function [Re: mac]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
> Anything that is partially downloaded should turn up in Unattached Items next
> time you start emplode

.. except it doesn't. I appear to be able to successfully download many tracks, only to have the synch fail during post-download verification. There's never anything left under Unattached.

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015