Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#5849 - 25/08/1999 05:12 Organic LEP Display
Cadders
new poster

Loc: Concept 2000, Farnborough
I know its going to be a little while before they become avaliable, but I hearing some really good things about Organic light emitting polymers. They use hardly any power, require no back light, and can be produced to high resolutions. Also, from what I understand they should be no more expensive than a cheap LCD.

Now a full colour display, taking next to no power, with a low cost, would be an excellent replacement to the current vacuum display.

Oh and also the people who make the displays (CDT) are based in Cambridge, as is EMPEG. Nice.

Cadders,
Number 10163 in the queue. I fear I'll be in for a bit of a wait.

#5850 - 25/08/1999 08:36 Re: Organic LEP Display [Re: Cadders]
NasalGoat

Loc: Toronto, ON, Canada
Man, they haven't even finished writing the software and already you want a new display?

Relax, dude!

#5851 - 25/08/1999 10:05 Re: Organic LEP Display [Re: NasalGoat]
Cadders
new poster

Loc: Concept 2000, Farnborough
"Man, they haven't even finished writing the software and already you want a new display?"

Yes this is true. But then again this is a wish list and I wish that it had an organic LEP display.

Cadders,
Number 10163 in the queue. I fear I'll be in for a bit of a wait.

#5852 - 25/08/1999 15:00 Re: Organic LEP Display [Re: Cadders]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Organic EL displays (might be the same thing?) are already in car radios - Pioneer do one - and they're very nice. The technique is patented by Kodak and I believe licenced to Pioneer and Sharp (Sharp are working on laptop stuff for it). We did look at trying to get the displays, but Pioneer make them in-house (! very unusual). The Pioneer unit keeps inverting its display though, which points to a pixel life problem if you ask me...

Hugo

#5853 - 25/08/1999 16:51 Re: Organic LEP Display [Re: altman]
jstrain
enthusiast

Loc: philadelphia pa
sort of on the subject, i have one of those pioneers. is there any way to stop the head unit from constantly inverting the colors? just wondering.

jeremy

oh, i wish i wish i had an empeg...