Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#59330 - 15/01/2002 15:50 Install on a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix?
WildBill
new poster

Anyone done an install on a car like this? I've got the Grand Prix GTP, it's got a standard GM oversize CD player in the dash. I'd replace it with the RioCar, but... the CD player interfaces with the steering wheel controls and the Heads-Up-Display. So - I'm currently looking at doing an install where I remove the ashtray, put the RioCar in that area, and hook it up with an FM modulator. Any tips or gotchas?

Thanks,
Bill

#59331 - 15/01/2002 16:38 Re: Install on a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix? [Re: WildBill]
rtundo
addict

Loc: Albany, NY
You actually have one other option:

http://www.peripheral-aamp.com/periph_products/cd_changer_autos/gm.htm

The only catch is these adaptors REQUIRE a cd changer for the aux. RCA inputs to work with a GM headunit. The cost for everything is probably between $200-400US depending on the cd changer you want. The positive is that the sound is excellent. If you want to go that route I can help you out. The FM modulator is slightly quicker (not really easier) to install but the sound will not be as good. The cost is obviously cheaper at approx. $60-70US.

#59332 - 15/01/2002 16:53 Re: Install on a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix? [Re: rtundo]
WildBill
new poster

Thanks for the info on that, I can't afford to hook up a changer, though. I'm not too worried about the sound quality out of the modulator - my hearing's pretty bad anyhow. That, and the cost is right on the modulator. But I appreciate the info - it's nice to know there are alternatives. My big question is now the actual mechanics of the install, not so much the electrical portion.

#59333 - 16/01/2002 05:12 Re: Install on a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix? [Re: WildBill]
rtundo
addict

Loc: Albany, NY
By mechanics do you mean dash installment ?? I can help out with wiring but I am not familiar enough with the dash to help with custom fitting. If you could be more specific about what type of help you need (or problems you may be having) maybe I or someone else could help out more.

#59334 - 16/01/2002 16:48 Re: Install on a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix? [Re: rtundo]
WildBill
new poster

Yeah, I'm actually looking for someone who's done something on this car or a similar car (Chevy Impala, Buick Regal, etc) - about the only place I can figure out to put the unit is in the place where the ashtray is. I don't use it anyway, so it's no great loss - and it's *just* wide enough, it appears. There's a small cubby beneath the ashtray that I can take some room from, as well.

And if anyone has a red faceplate for sale, drop me an email. My car's got all red instrumentation and it'd be nice for it all to match.

#59335 - 17/01/2002 04:53 Re: Install on a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix? [Re: WildBill]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

I have a 98 Buick Riviera, and replaced out the CD storage unit and part of the ashtray. For details, check out my install on the RioCar.org site.

#59336 - 21/01/2002 23:19 Re: Install on a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix? [Re: pgrzelak]
WildBill
new poster

Thanks! That's what I was looking for - I figure that's about what I'm gonna have to do on my Grand Prix - remove the ashtray, and take up part of the CD cubby.

#59337 - 23/01/2002 00:47 Re: Install on a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix? [Re: WildBill]
WildBill
new poster

OK, I've got details on how to remove the Grand Prix's ashtray, and I'm convinced that the Empeg will fit in the hole that's left (I've seen pictures of a fellow who put a DIN-sized EQ there).

One last question, then I'll quit bugging ya'll about this issue;
I'm about to buy the $55 Clarion FM modulator for this project. However, the Clarion FM modulator has an on/off switch, which I'm not too hot about having to install. Is there a way to hook the amplifier remote power lead(blue wire) on the Empeg to that unit so that the FM modulator is "automagically" on whenever the Empeg is in use? According to the manufacturers spec, the unit draws 200ma in use, and the amp line is rated at 1amp, so it should be fine. My only question is - is the amp power on signal a constant-on - hot when the empeg is running?
Thanks again!

#59338 - 23/01/2002 12:03 Re: Install on a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix? [Re: WildBill]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Is there a way to hook the amplifier remote power lead(blue wire) on the Empeg to that unit so that the FM modulator is "automagically" on whenever the Empeg is in use?

I don't know how the clarion FM modulator is wired, so I can't answer that question with authority. Sounds like it might work, but don't count on it working 100 percent until you've actually hooked it up and tested it.

Sometimes wiring things that way can induce odd ground loops. If hooking it to the amp remote doesn't work well, you can also try hooking it to the ignition-switched power.

Wait a minute. I just reread your message. You don't have it in your hands yet. I'll bet the Clarion unit has instructions on how to properly wire it. Why don't you just wait until you get the unit, and then read its instructions?

My only question is - is the amp power on signal a constant-on - hot when the empeg is running?

Yes. It is hot whenever the VFD display is on. It is off when the standby light is pulsing or when there is no power to the empeg.

#59339 - 23/01/2002 12:58 Re: Install on a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix? [Re: tfabris]
WildBill
new poster

In reply to:

Wait a minute. I just reread your message. You don't have it in your hands yet. I'll bet the Clarion unit has instructions on how to properly wire it. Why don't you just wait until you get the unit, and then read its instructions?

Y'know, that's a good idea. Seriously, though - I've installed a few other FM modulators, and they've all been close to the same. I didn't think about a ground loop - I should watch for that - but the big question I had was about the amp-power-on. That's exactly the behavior I'd need if the auto-modulator-on is to work at all. Thanks, Tony!