Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#64676 - 04/02/2002 17:15 Re: Post VW install, and sound quality side effect [Re: eternalsun]
Heather
addict

Loc: NY

What does performance have to do with chick cars? If a car, regardless of performance or any other criteria, is owned and driven by disproportionately large numbers of women, then it is a CHICK CAR.

Whether it goes 200 miles an hour, or can turn circles on a dime and requires a parachute to stop does not matter. :-)

I'm in no way disparaging chicks <http://empeg.comms.net/images/icons/wink.gif> or volkswagens. VW's are also named as the top Gay cars.

official useless statistics from the VW sourcebook:

Golf - 50% of buyers are male

GTI - 84% of buyers are male

Jetta - 41% of buyers are male

Beetle - 32% of buyers are male

Passat - 59% of buyers are male

Cabrio - 18% of buyers are male - a higher percentage of female buyers than any other car on the US market

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#64677 - 04/02/2002 17:39 Re: Post VW install, and sound quality side effect [Re: Heather]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
i KNEW i was right about the GTI! haha. Thanks for that awesome stat list.

#64678 - 04/02/2002 17:49 Re: Post VW install, and sound quality side effects [Re: acurasquirrel]
skritch
journeyman

Loc: San Jose, CA
By extension then, the Integra is the preferred vehicle for adolescents who aren't secure in their gender and/or sexuality.

Really, this has gone beyond juvenile...it's gotten offensive. I drive a Jetta. I'm also 6'1", 260lbs, and in a long-term monogamous relationship with a member of the opposite sex. I lift weights. I also happen to enjoy musicals, gourmet food, fine art, and audio entertainment that goes beyond the need to include an expletive or depiction of violence every other bar. Does that make me "gay"? Are you going to pull up next to me in your riced-out, lowered Integra with the "R-Type" sticker on it and try to intimidate me and demonstrate your dominant, alpha-male heterosexual urge by revving your engine and yelling insults at me? Do you feel in some way intimidated by the fact that there are men who actually *like* driving the Jetta, and -- horror of horrors -- perfer women? Or do you just feel threatened by those who are sexually attracted to members of the same sex?

Grow up. Better yet, go away.
#2529 [blue]Mk2a 10GB + Tuner[/blue] Original reg #3422 http://www.bitshift.org

#64679 - 04/02/2002 20:40 Re: Post VW install, and sound quality side effect [Re: muklebust]
Heather
addict

I don't want to come off like a prick, but I will. Why in the world are you installing it in a VW Golf, Jetta or whatever. When you see a VW you are looking for a hot chick driving it, period. So unless you are a hot chick...what the hell are you thinking????

Hot chicks in VWs dig a man in a golf or a jetta.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#64680 - 04/02/2002 20:52 Re: Post VW install, and sound quality side effect [Re: skritch]
Heather
addict

By extension then, the Integra is the preferred vehicle for adolescents who aren't secure in their gender and/or sexuality.

Really, this has gone beyond juvenile...it's gotten offensive. I drive a Jetta. I'm also 6'1", 260lbs, and in a long-term monogamous relationship with a member of the opposite sex. I lift weights. I also happen to enjoy musicals, gourmet food, fine art, and audio entertainment that goes beyond the need to include an expletive or depiction of violence every other bar. Does that make me "gay"? Are you going to pull up next to me in your riced-out, lowered Integra with the "R-Type" sticker on it and try to intimidate me and demonstrate your dominant, alpha-male heterosexual urge by revving your engine and yelling insults at me? Do you feel in some way intimidated by the fact that there are men who actually *like* driving the Jetta, and -- horror of horrors -- perfer women? Or do you just feel threatened by those who are sexually attracted to members of the same sex?

HA HA!
Reminds me of some idiot who this past summer pulled up along side me in his mid eighties accord hatchback with yellow racing stripes, a type R badge, and the word "newspeed" in bright yellow across the windshield. In a pathetic attempt to pick me up, offered me "one of these for two of those" pointing at my car.

And speaking of "chick" cars, I sold about 15 beetles last year. 3 to women in their mid 20's, two to gay couples, and 6 of them to some really BIG guys who no one in their right minds would pick a fight with. It's a great car for bigger people (and my 6'8" boyfriend fits in one better than he does in his eldorado)

Or maybe he's just bitter because gays make more money and are more educated than the heterosexual population.

#64681 - 04/02/2002 21:08 Re: Post VW install, and sound quality side effect [Re: Heather]
fusto
addict

Loc: Lummi Island, WA
Sigh...
This is all really great.
But the empeg in my car still sounds like crap.
See above (above, above, above, all the waaaay up) posts from moi.

This weekend I abandoned the factory speaker wiring and re-wired all the speakers from the speaker to the amp with nice heavy gauge speaker wire. (and I made sure the polarity was correct)
I re-routed the RCA cables down the passenger side cable trough to get them further away from the power wire for the amp.
And I played around with the gain settings on the amp until I was almost permanently crippled from crouching behind the front seats (The amp is mounted under the rear bench).

No luck.
I'm screwed.

My next course of action is to try a different amp. My buddy with the Jetta has a spare amp that he's waiting to mount with his spare empeg into his convertible 1968 Oldsmobile Delmonte Rocket 88.
Is that also a chick car?

Anybody out there have any other suggestions while I'm at it?

I'm thinking its the amp 'cause my empeg sounds great in his jetta, and we have basically identical sound systems.

Sure you could make an argument that the acoustics are different between the 2 models, but up until a month ago when I installed the empeg and the amp, I got plenty of bass with the stock Clarion VW head unit and cd changer and these same speakers.

Oh well...
Ill notify if anything changes.

Z~

#64682 - 04/02/2002 21:14 Re: Post VW install, and sound quality side effect [Re: fusto]
skritch
journeyman

Only other thing I could think of is switching the front and rears on the amp, and seeing if the problem follows the wiring or the ports on the amp. If it follows the ports, it's the amp at fault. If it follows the wiring, it's either the wiring, the speakers, or the acoustics to blame.
#2529 [blue]Mk2a 10GB + Tuner[/blue] Original reg #3422 http://www.bitshift.org

#64683 - 04/02/2002 21:29 Re: Post VW install, and sound quality side effect [Re: Heather]
acurasquirrel

Loc: Georgia
Haha I hope your not talking about me and my integra. I might add my car has no stickers on it. Its not a type-R nor do I claim it to be. It just a regular LS 1.8 liter. Last fall I finally had the money to buy a Drag Gen 3 turbo kit, and well my car is faster than most v8s, but I dont brag about it. My car is a sleeper it looks dead stock. I dont drive around trying to impress girls in it. I dont race on the streets, and I most certainly do not rev to other people, Ill admit most import owners are greasy haired teenagers who only care about what the car looks like. Im not like that Im more into peformance. I mean occasionally Ill get into a little race with a BMW or something on the freeway but Im not trying to impress a girl or anything.

#64684 - 04/02/2002 21:56 Re: Post VW install, and sound quality side effect [Re: fusto]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Did you make sure that you have the loudness setting turned up on the empeg? I know that when I have it turned down, the 12's in my room have no bass whatsoever, but they definitely start to hit when I turn it up.

#64685 - 04/02/2002 22:10 Re: Post VW install, and sound quality side effect [Re: acurasquirrel]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
My car is a sleeper it looks dead stock.

Strictly amateur in the sleeper category.

Now this is a sleeper! (check the .jpg attached to the link)

Might be able to run with your turbocharged Acura, but probably not -- certainly not handling or braking in any case.

But it'll haul more plywood faster than your rice-toy ever thought of.

tanstaafl.

#64686 - 04/02/2002 22:19 Re: Post VW install, and sound quality side effect [Re: tanstaafl.]
loren
carpal tunnel

Aight, at the next empeg meet... we'll have to have an Empeg Quarter Mile! hahah.

#64687 - 05/02/2002 02:22 Re: Post VW install, and sound quality side effect [Re: Heather]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Reminds me of some idiot who this past summer pulled up along side me in his mid eighties accord hatchback with yellow racing stripes, a type R badge, and the word "newspeed" in bright yellow across the windshield.

I'm sure he thought he was both fast and furious.

It is at this time I think it would be appropriate to re-link this old classic page.

And thanks for those VW statistics, I now feel a little better about having driven a GTI for ten years.

#64688 - 05/02/2002 05:47 Re: Post VW install, and sound quality side effect [Re: acurasquirrel]
Schorschi
stranger

Loc: FL, USA
I mean occasionally Ill get into a little race with a BMW or something on the freeway but Im not trying to impress a girl or anything.

I've said it before and I say it again: would someone please explain to me what sense it makes to own a car that can go two or three times the posted speed limit in that country?

And how do your "races" look like? Who can go up to 80mph first? And then you have to fear that the cops are waiting for you with a radar gun on the next overpass?

I just don't get what one needs a fast car for when you can't even travel at a speed adequate for that car on public roads.

Georg

#64689 - 05/02/2002 07:20 Re: Post VW install, and sound quality side effect [Re: Schorschi]
Anonymous
Unregistered

That's the beauty of America.

#64690 - 05/02/2002 07:26 Re: Post VW install, and sound quality side effect [Re: Schorschi]
rtundo
addict

Loc: Albany, NY
I just don't get what one needs a fast car for when you can't even travel at a speed adequate for that car on public roads.

Same reason someone buys a riocar/empeg.

#64691 - 05/02/2002 08:23 Re: Post VW install, and sound quality side effect [Re: Schorschi]
synergy
enthusiast

Who can go up to 80mph first?

80? You're just not trying....

#64692 - 05/02/2002 09:34 Re: Post VW install, and sound quality side effect [Re: Schorschi]
loren
carpal tunnel

It's not a matter of whether or not you CAN, it's a matter of whether or not you are willing to risk the ticket in doing so. You certainly CAN go as fast as you want. I'm sure most of the people on this board who are speedsters are very careful about it. I've seen Tony go 100 on a California backroad that i wasn't all that anxious to go 90 on. Remember boys and girls... speed kills....

oh yeah, not to mention a lot of people use their cars at track days and other organized races.

#64693 - 05/02/2002 09:45 Re: Post VW install, and sound quality side effect [Re: Schorschi]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK

Because a car that can do 140mph can do 70mph with much less effort than a car that can only do 80mph. This results in a nicer drive, a safer car (because it's designed to go that fast -- brakes, etc.), and less wear on the car. It's probably also better for the environment.

Once you've got a car that can do 200mph, that's overkill for this argument, but who cares? Take it out on the track (e.g., a drive-what-you-brought day), and have fun.

#64694 - 05/02/2002 10:39 Re: Post VW install, and sound quality side effect [Re: Roger]
Anonymous
Unregistered

The fastest I've gone is 125. And that's only because the car wouldn't go any faster.

#64695 - 05/02/2002 12:56 Re: Post VW install, and sound quality side effect [Re: loren]
synergy
enthusiast

Remember boys and girls... speed kills...

naw... That's a common Falsehood.

It's the sudden stops that get you. Speed, no problem...

I'm spoiled by living in the south. We don't (yet) have the congestion that makes it so unsafe around here. There are a couple of places here that I've bumped the speed limiter (damn it) without worrying about safety. Worrying about Cops... That's another post, but frankly, if you are driving that fast, you damn well better be worried. I get over 90, and everything starts to be real aware. Push 120 and I'm hyperintense.

Which is good, because if I'm looking THAT much for cops, I'm also looking that much for ANYTHING that might be a problem.

Pursuit courses via US Army Military Police helps.

#64696 - 05/02/2002 13:56 Re: Post VW install, and sound quality side effect [Re: synergy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
It's the sudden stops that get you. Speed, no problem...

Heh, yeah. Like the old saying, "it's not the fall that kills you, it's the deceleration trauma".

#64697 - 05/02/2002 14:07 Re: Post VW install, and sound quality side effect [Re: Heather]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

But will women buy it? :-)

Calvin

#64698 - 05/02/2002 14:08 Re: Post VW install, and sound quality side effect [Re: Heather]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

That's great. Now you have to split those statistics by sexual orientation. :-D

Wink! Wink! Wink!

Calvin

#64699 - 05/02/2002 14:10 Re: Post VW install, and sound quality side effect [Re: Heather]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

The Beetle is a recommended car for large people. (!) Recommended by Cartalk.com, due to the cavernous interior.

Calvin

#64700 - 05/02/2002 14:13 Re: Post VW install, and sound quality side effect [Re: synergy]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Look at Interstate 5 for example. 80 is what the *slow* cars are doing.

Calvin

#64701 - 05/02/2002 14:21 Re: Post VW install, and sound quality side effect [Re: eternalsun]
loren
carpal tunnel

Yeap, same with 280. People going 80 get passed left and right.

#64702 - 05/02/2002 14:24 Re: Post VW install, and sound quality side effects [Re: skritch]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Juvenile? Maybe. Anti-gay? Hardly. Amusing? Yep! Take it with a grain of salt basically.

About Guy Versus Chick Cars:
http://cartalk.cars.com/About/Guy-Chick-Cars/index.html

About Gay and Lesbian Cars:
http://cartalk.cars.com/About/Gay-Lesbian/index.html

Calvin

#64703 - 05/02/2002 14:27 Re: Post VW install, and sound quality side effect [Re: loren]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Why bother with a 65 mph limit? They should simply do a speed survey and raise the limit to 80.

Calvin

#64704 - 05/02/2002 14:48 Re: Post VW install, and sound quality side effects [Re: eternalsun]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I love this quote:
    My nomination for a chick car is the Volkswagen Cabriolet. Especially the convertible.
And, apparently, there is no intelligence-based criterion for nominators, since 1) the Cabriolet doesn't come non-convertible, probably because; 2) ``cabriolet'' means convertible. Chuckle-head.

#64705 - 05/02/2002 14:50 Re: Post VW install, and sound quality side effects [Re: wfaulk]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

I laugh my ass off reading Cartalk reader mail.

Calvin

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >