Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#6820 - 29/02/2000 07:16 EQ Copy/Sticky Playlist Location
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
It's been said a million times, and is candiate for MiRF (Most Requested Feature), but it really came home this weekend when I was carrying out testing. Instead of having to navigate down through my playlist hierarchy, I would prefer the default playlist selection to be the last selected playlist location. This means I could begin traversing through the hierarchy from where I left off, taking fewer keystrokes (very important on the road), without having to start again from the very top to navigate down through the structure again just to get to the point I just left.

In the equaliser, I am finding I like to try and compare filter setups. To create a new eq setting, it would be useful if there was a way to copy the setup of another setting as a starting point to make changes. This saves manually replicating dB levels per frequency, with all the inherent flipping back and forward between the original and new settings.

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#6821 - 29/02/2000 10:25 Re: EQ Copy/Sticky Playlist Location [Re: schofiel]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I would prefer the default playlist selection to be the last selected playlist location.

While that's an interesting idea, it would prevent me from doing something that I do all the time: Press the bottom button three times to get the Empeg to shuffle-play the whole unit. Perhaps there could be a top-level shortcut to the last playlist instead?

To create a new eq setting, it would be useful if there was a way to copy the setup of another setting as a starting point to make changes.

Thanks for suggesting that one. I was going to bring it up, as well. Hopefully, soon, we'll get to see a per-song EQ preset feature. When that day comes, having a copy function will make things easier. I intend to have one "default" preset, with the other 15 being slight modifications of that default. It would be nice if I could start the process by copying them instead of having to hand-enter all 15.

One question about this feature, though...

When you copy an EQ preset, should it also copy that preset's "other personality"? For example, if you're in the car, and you copy preset 1 to preset 15, should it also copy the the "in home" personality from preset 1 to preset 15?

See... usually what you're going to do is make the copy then tweak that copy, right? Well, if you copy the "in home" personality along with the "car" personality, then the "in home" one isn't editable until you drag the unit back into the house.

Personally, I think it should still copy the other personality anyway. In the last paragraph, I'm playing Devil's Advocate. I'd rather have both copies made and know about it.

I dunno, perhaps the underlying data structure makes it difficult to do otherwise, and there wouldn't really be a choice in the matter.

Oh, hey, and while we're on the subject of per-song EQ presets, I have another suggestion in that area: When this feature gets implemented, there should also be preset choices for the radio and the Aux input. Otherwise, you'd be stuck with whatever the last EQ was set to for the radio and the Aux in.

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

#6822 - 02/03/2000 05:25 Re: EQ Copy/Sticky Playlist Location [Re: tfabris]
Big John

Loc: Hants, UK.
Hi,

In reply to:

I would prefer the default playlist selection to be the last selected playlist location.

While that's an interesting idea, it would prevent me from doing something that I do all the time: Press the bottom button three times to get the Empeg to shuffle-play the whole unit. Perhaps there could be a top-level shortcut to the last playlist instead?

My recommendation to get to the previous playlist level, was to press 'n' hold the bottom button.

Regards,

[color:yellow]_________________________________________John, (MK1 #114-20G, MK2 #15-36G).</font color=yellow>