Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#68398 - 18/02/2002 13:36 Re: Continued Car talk [Re: eternalsun]
acurasquirrel

Loc: Georgia
Your right I have J and G on the mind. Of course Ive heard negative things about the J S safeguard, ie its a little over protective and would yank timing back when its not needed.

#68399 - 18/02/2002 13:42 Re: Continued Car talk [Re: acurasquirrel]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
I have a J&S box not yet opened. Just bought it. Overprotective-- I like that. :-D

Calvin

#68400 - 18/02/2002 13:54 Re: Continued Car talk [Re: eternalsun]
acurasquirrel

Well its overprotective at times and then sometimes isnt protective enough. I have a friend who had it in his Jackson racing supercharged GSR running on the 8 lb pulley. He ran it for a while and his car was slower and even pinged a couple of times so he ditched it.

#68401 - 18/02/2002 14:49 Re: Continued Car talk [Re: acurasquirrel]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
Ever see that funniest home videos where a street car gets a fire extinguisher sprayed into the engine while hot.

Bang

Engine parts everywhere!

#68402 - 18/02/2002 19:09 Re: Continued Car talk [Re: acurasquirrel]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Ill tackle loren's question first since its right up my alley.

And a good question it was! Of course, he could just get an SHO, where the engine management computer has knock-sensing built right into it. If I run low-test fuel, I don't get knocking, but I do get a decrease in maximum performance.

But, what about MY question? BTW, I do know the answer...

tanstaafl.

#68403 - 18/02/2002 19:17 Re: Continued Car talk [Re: tanstaafl.]
acurasquirrel

Oh his car has a knock-sensor well I think it does I know the GSR and Type-Rs have it, they just arent that great it takes alot of sound processing to discern between knocking and normal engine noise. Im still thinking about your question its really stumping me

#68404 - 19/02/2002 14:22 Re: Continued Car talk [Re: acurasquirrel]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Well, standalone engine management computers are pretty pricey compared to a J&S.

Calvin

#68405 - 19/02/2002 16:25 Re: Continued Car talk [Re: tanstaafl.]
tracerbullet
addict

Loc: Minnesota
Could it be:

Running too low of an octane causes pre-ignition. Pre-ignition get's everything hot, especially the pistons and walls. Getting everything hot causes the oil to heat up as well. Hot oil gets thinner, and the oil pressure drops.

What was octane in 1969? Like 100? Plus the gas was leaded too. I could imagine it actually being tough to keep that old of an engine running in good shape on "today's gas".

???

Edited by tracerbullet (19/02/2002 16:28)

#68406 - 19/02/2002 18:08 Re: Continued Car talk [Re: eternalsun]
KungFuCow
enthusiast

Not to mention that most of the standalone engine management systems (At least the ones I work with) have little to no knock sensor provisions.

The old batch fire DFI (6.0 box) and sequential box have a knock sensor circuit however it's set up for a straight 10 degrees retard upon detonation detection and is very slow to restore the timing. I haven't had a chance to try out one of the Gen 7 boxes yet.

The F.A.S.T. system offers a slightly better knock sensor implementation but only on the bank to bank model. The sequential model doesn't have a channel available for knock detection so it isn't available.

I've worked quite a bit with Electromotive's TEC-II in the past and at the time they had no knock sensor provisioning and the same goes for Motec and Haltec although I haven't worked with any of these particular units in several years so the feature could have been added.

Overall, and I tell this to everyone who contemplates a standalone unit, I recommend if you don't need it, don't go to it because it's my opinion that you lose a lot of driveability going to the standalone stuff. There is just things that the stock ECM does so much better.

I mainly work on very fast straight line cars where the standalone stuff is concerned. I cringe when I see someone with an 11 second car running an aftermarket engine management system. Maybe in the import world you need it at that level but I've had no problem getting the domestic stuff to go that fast and in some cases even faster with the factory electronics.

#68407 - 19/02/2002 18:13 Re: Continued Car talk [Re: KungFuCow]
acurasquirrel

Yeah the stock honda ignition is usually fine for any all motor situation, they only benefit of having a different one is the ability to have a soft rev limiter instead of fuel cut. I prefer the hondata standalone fuel management systems myself.

#68408 - 19/02/2002 18:14 Re: Continued Car talk [Re: tracerbullet]
acurasquirrel

Wouldnt less dense oil have greater volume causing higher pressure?

#68409 - 19/02/2002 22:14 Re: Continued Car talk [Re: acurasquirrel]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Wouldnt less dense oil have greater volume causing higher pressure?

No. Tracerbullet nailed it perfectly -- excellent job!

As the oil gets hot, it gets thinner, that is, less viscous, and thus is more easily able to escape around the crankshaft bearings and back into the sump, causing the oil pressure to drop. Remember that at a given engine RPM, the oil pump will deliver a fixed volume (not weight) of oil to the bearings. The more that escapes, the less pressure you are going to end up with.

tanstaafl.

#68410 - 19/02/2002 22:35 Re: Continued Car talk [Re: tanstaafl.]
acurasquirrel

Man I thought of that I knew running that low of octane would increase engine temps but figured that would increase oil pressure stupid me. I should have known I mean they tell people to take asprin to thin their blood to lower their BP. Oh well I was on the right track just was over thinking it i guess.

#68411 - 19/02/2002 22:47 Re: Continued Car talk [Re: acurasquirrel]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Well, I guess you haven't had the wonderful experience of seeing your engine overheat and watching the low-oil-pressure light come on while on your way to a Rush concert in the summer of 1986. Consider yourself lucky.

(I made it to the concert, by the way.)

#68412 - 19/02/2002 22:48 Re: Continued Car talk [Re: tfabris]
acurasquirrel

I drive a honda of course Ive never overheated

#68413 - 19/02/2002 22:59 Re: Continued Car talk [Re: acurasquirrel]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

I drive a honda of course Ive never overheated

I drove a Honda Prelude for a few years... when it blew a head gasket, it certainly overheated!

It was an old first-generation Prelude, probably had 150,000 miles on it. When the engine went, I gave it to the wrecking yard for the cost of the tow.

I haven't missed the car one bit!

tanstaafl.

#68414 - 19/02/2002 23:03 Re: Continued Car talk [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I drove a Honda Prelude for a few years... when it blew a head gasket, it certainly overheated! (...) When the engine went, I gave it to the wrecking yard for the cost of the tow.

After unbolting the snow plow and putting it on the truck, right?

#68415 - 20/02/2002 20:08 Re: Continued Car talk [Re: tanstaafl.]
tracerbullet
addict

Loc: Minnesota
Actually I had to forward the congratulations to a guy here at work, we got to talking about it the other day. I helped, but wouldn't have made the whole connection on my own.

It was mentioned that this is common on high performance boat engines I guess, they are tweaked for high octane gas with additives, and while they run on "normal gas", oil pressure drops from the preignition heat, and they know not to push it too hard.

#68416 - 23/02/2002 23:58 Re: Continued Car talk [Re: tracerbullet]
acurasquirrel

Bad news everyone. I overestimated my cars handling ability Friday night I sent her into a spin at 65 I did a 180 and slammed the passenger side wheels into the curb at about 20. Looks like I buckled the rear lower control arm and the front broke off and busted through the rotor and is smashed against the wheel. My neck is sore as hell and my car isnt driveable Im hoping I didnt do frame damage. I learned a huge lesson that I will never forget.

#68417 - 24/02/2002 02:56 Re: Continued Car talk [Re: acurasquirrel]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Yuck. I did something similar to my GTI many years ago (at a much lower speed, there was a patch of sand in the parking lot that I didn't expect), and really did a number on my left front suspension. So I know you you feel. My condolences.

#68418 - 24/02/2002 16:50 Re: Continued Car talk [Re: KungFuCow]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

There aren't too many standalones that offer knock sensor capbilities. The ProEFI offers it, but is not a general purpose standalone. I think the J&S does fit a very particular niche very well.

Calvin

#68419 - 24/02/2002 21:47 Re: Continued Car talk [Re: acurasquirrel]
Heather
addict

Loc: NY
Bad news everyone. I overestimated my cars handling ability Friday night I sent her into a spin at 65 I did a 180 and slammed the passenger side wheels into the curb at about 20. Looks like I buckled the rear lower control arm and the front broke off and busted through the rotor and is smashed against the wheel. My neck is sore as hell and my car isnt driveable Im hoping I didnt do frame damage. I learned a huge lesson that I will never forget.

F*** the car. Worry about yourself. Cars are replaceable. Just please tell me you saw a doctor about your neck. I had a problem with that after I got hit in my Jetta (not sure if it was the impact or that I carried the guys bumper off the road for him so traffic could still move). While I came out ok after two weeks, my sisters seen some unattended to spinal cord injury horror stories while working for EMS.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#68420 - 24/02/2002 22:01 Re: Continued Car talk [Re: Heather]
acurasquirrel

Im fine I went to the doctor and it was a side impact and I had tensed my neck so all i did was pull my neck muscles no biggie. You dont understand my car is like a child. You can replace kids too but they are never the same

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2