Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#6854 - 10/03/2000 07:24 Graphic EQ
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Instead of the columns currently used in the UI for the equaliser, it would be much nicer if we could see a graphic representation of the individual centre frequencies and how they interact with adjacent bands.

Currently, each column just represents a frequency, and the height represents the pass/boost level for that frequency. Because all the columns are just placed next to each other, there is no way to see the relationship of that particular frequency band to the audio spectrum of the player (i.e. the position of the frequency band centre in the audio spectrum), or to other bands. Additionally, a column does not let us see the Q (the bell curve showing the envelope of the filter). Finally, there is no way to view the net envelope created by the interaction of the frequency bands. We already have the high-resolution Frequency analyser graphics from Toby, but it is difficult to envisage the relationship between the current filter settings and the displayed spectrum, especially since the graphic does not display axes or calibration.

So, here are the requests; a re-design of the UI of the equaliser to show the equaliser bands as individual envelopes within the audio range of the empeg (20Hz - 20kHz?), and the net envelope resulting from the individual frequency centres, amplitudes and Q values. This would allow you to very acurately set up your empeg to drive your amp correctly according to the characteristics of the amp (e.g. boost frequencies where the amp rolls off, or cut where it peaks) and also in a more subjective manner (e.g. tailor the sound of the setup to suit your ear in the particular car you are using the empeg in).

It's a lot of work, I admit, but if it was designed to use the maximum screen real estate (as per the way Toby's graphics do) it would be an impressive addition to the player both for ease of use in setting up your sound and for demoing to gullible friends!!! (by far the most important, of course )

Secondly, add to the spectrum analysis graphics the option to switch in axes displaying calibration, most importantly frequency, to the display so that it becomes easier to look at the frequency content of the playing music.

Lastly, and mst difficult, display as an overlay the filter envelope from the current equaliser settings.

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#6855 - 10/03/2000 09:43 Re: Graphic EQ [Re: schofiel]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Toby's EQ isn't intended for much more than amusement - I don't know how linear it actually is, and as it's on the sound that leaves the CPU (as opposed to leaving the empeg) it's not affected by the EQ settings.

A "result" curve could probably be plotted, but I suspect that trying to fit the edit functionality onto the same screen would be hard.

Hugo

#6856 - 10/03/2000 10:06 Re: Graphic EQ [Re: altman]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Yeah I guessed so - but then this forum is about wishing for the moon, anyway...

The FA screens look as if they might be logarithmic, based on the frequency sweeps I'm using.

I'm not wholly sure (being thick) what you mean regarding your last statement - do you mean that the output shown is not modified by the EQ? This is what I would expect, ie. it's "pre-EQ" and represents the idealised spectrum output by the decoder. It is not (I guess) showing the actual post-EQ modified sound levels - is this correct?

I am only really interested in it as an indicator of spectral content - I really need a spectrum analyser with a microphone in the car if I am serious about using the Equaliser to set up my amp, but that's rather difficult to obtain (unless you know how to set up a storage scope to do this? What about a high impedance mike at head height and a slow (20-30s sweep time) on the scope? Hmmm.... good idea )

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015