Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#72434 - 16/02/2002 22:22 Anybody installed on Mini Cooper (New One)
AlB

Loc: SF
Hoping to find someone across the pond (i.e. UK, Europe) that has done an install on the new cooper. I have seen pics but not sure how integrated the stereo is. I am expecting a New Cooper and want to put the empeg in it.

#72435 - 18/02/2002 05:44 Re: Anybody installed on Mini Cooper (New One) [Re: AlB]
potts
new poster

Loc: UK, Cambridge. UK, South Yorks...
Hi there, I too have a new cooper on order and want to install my Rio Car. I've been desperately searching the net for people who might have already done this, but you're the first I've found that's even mentioned the new Mini. All I know is that the standard head unit facias are slightly overzise (about 1/4" extra top and bottom) to the standard DIN. However, one of the European options is a radio/GPS unit which is DIN sized - there's a picture in my accessories catalogue (this is a head unit GPS/radio, not the colour screen GPS option which fits in the speedo). Anyway, because this unit is DIN sized one hopes fitting another head unit should be OK. Interestingly, my BMW dealer told me that fitting a non-standard head unit would invalidate the electrical part of my warranty - looks like I'll be removing Rio Car whenever it goes in to the garage. On getting the car (April/May), my first task is to discover how to remove the standard unit - If you get there first, post a message otherwise I will. My dealer also mentioned they were currently testing an optional Harman Kardon sound system (speakers and amplifier) - this would save having to fit our own amplifier, however it will cost £750 ($1200)!!!!!!!

Good Luck.

#72436 - 18/02/2002 09:18 Re: Anybody installed on Mini Cooper (New One) [Re: potts]
AlB

Loc: SF
Yeah, I fell for that "upgrade" sound on my X5. "DSP", what a load of CR_P! My parents reverb setting on their 1950 wurlitzer sounded better. Don't get an upgraded stereo on ANY BMW product unless you don't care about sound. Money is better spent on aftermarket solutions.

In the US, modifications to the vehicle do not void warranties unless they can prove that the modification caused the warrantied part(s) to fail. May be similar in UK.

Also, BMW has taken to using coax connectors for all signals to and fro in the sound system. I hooked up my CD changer in the X5 with one tiny little coax connector and it handles both control of the cahnger and the sound, so unless your a sparkchaser professional it's unlikely a DIY project for integrating an EMPEG to factory radio. I planned on ditching my factory unit and going totally aftermarket.

THere are some interesting hacks into the BMW system that allow aux input but not truly integrated stuff.

I'll keep you posted when I get my Mini S!!

#72437 - 18/02/2002 09:57 Re: Anybody installed on Mini Cooper (New One) [Re: AlB]
potts
new poster

Wow, Cooper S, I'm impressed! Post some pics when you get it.
Yeah, I've read the Mini also uses data-bus technology, it won't be long until the ba5tards make it nearly impossible to use anything 'aftermarket'.

Cheers,

#72438 - 18/02/2002 18:47 Re: Anybody installed on Mini Cooper (New One) [Re: potts]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
I've got a Cooper S on order too, for about the past 9 months - due in May/June or so I hear. It'll be a toss up between that and the Civic Type R which is hopefully just about to be delivered to see which one gets kept - the Cooper was going to be mainly for my gf, but she's not around anymore (much to my upset) so I have a car surplus... one of them will have to go!

ISTR the bay will definitely fit an empeg, being standard DIN size. I don't think there are any audio<>systems tie-ins on the mini. The radio sits on K-bus as with other BMW head units, but this shouldn't be a problem for an empeg install. You will need to find somewhere decent for the amp thogh.

Hugo

#72439 - 18/02/2002 19:20 Re: Anybody installed on Mini Cooper (New One) [Re: altman]
acurasquirrel

Loc: Georgia
Cooper or Civic Type-R????? Hmmm thats hard, not. B-series fury man.

#72440 - 18/02/2002 20:39 Re: Anybody installed on Mini Cooper (New One) [Re: altman]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Hugo, I would have taken the gf, but I'll settle for the car. Just put it in a brown box with some padding and send it along. I'll worry about the left hand drive conversion when it gets here.

Damn, I'd love to jump into a new car. But I'm just finishing all the crap I did to get my audio system into my GSR. And then there's the small purchase of a house (very soon now...)

Bruno

#72441 - 18/02/2002 21:18 Re: Anybody installed on Mini Cooper (New One) [Re: altman]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Well, I was trying to think of some old witty and helpful saying about girlfriends and cars, but it's not coming to me. :-( Sorry to hear that.

If new girlfriend magnetism is part of the decision matrix, I think I'd have to give the edge to the Cooper. Of course, I may just be unfairly projecting my sex appeal formula on the vast majority of eligble women out there (and I can't say I've ever gotten top marks for understanding women), but I think the Cooper will have better "unique" factor. That may be more true on this side of the pond as I'm guessing that the Minis will never be as common here.

My friend is trying to convince his wife how easy it would be to get 2 child car seats in the back. By the time he succeeds in convincing, they won't need the car seats!

Best of luck.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#72442 - 18/02/2002 22:16 Re: Anybody installed on Mini Cooper (New One) [Re: jimhogan]
acurasquirrel

The Cooper may get the chicks but does it rev to 8500 rpms?, was it built for racing?, does it come in Championship White?, and would it be as fun? I think not.

#72443 - 18/02/2002 22:55 Re: Anybody installed on Mini Cooper (New One) [Re: jimhogan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I just got done reading an old R&T article about how the ultimate "crumpet collector" (in the author's words) is a restored Jaguar E-type. He tells a story of parking one outside a Borders' Books for five minutes and attracting a crowd of attractive mid-thirties women who would ask him if they could please just run their hand along the roofline.

#72444 - 19/02/2002 00:15 Re: Anybody installed on Mini Cooper (New One) [Re: tfabris]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

... the ultimate "crumpet collector"

Well, I think that if I could get my hands on a nice E-type I would *completely* forget about women!

#72445 - 19/02/2002 00:21 Re: Anybody installed on Mini Cooper (New One) [Re: acurasquirrel]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

but does it rev to 8500 rpms?

By this standard I should get all hot and bothered over a dental drill.

#72446 - 19/02/2002 01:23 Re: Anybody installed on Mini Cooper (New One) [Re: acurasquirrel]
altman
carpal tunnel

The Civic Type R is built in Swindon; I realise you'll never know the joys of this very functional english city, but it's very hard to get romantic about it. I don't think it was "built for racing", unlike the older CTRs, but it's quite sharp anyway. I have a NSX for going really fast in

The Cooper S (note, *not* the normal cooper; the cooper S is the 163bhp supercharged version, 6 speed, etc) is much nicer looking than the civic if you ask me, but is rather more cramped for rear seat passengers:

http://www.bmwworld.com/media/wallpaper/mini_cooper_s.htm

I suspect the Cooper will be damn fun too. It's going to be interesting... the most efficient thing is to sell the queue place for the mini, but...

Hugo

#72447 - 19/02/2002 01:58 Re: Anybody installed on Mini Cooper (New One) [Re: altman]
acurasquirrel

Ohh I was under the impression it wasnt the new CTR. Hey maybe you could find a nice ITR gen3 of course(getting rid of the double wishbone suspension makes me sick Ill never buy an RSX aka Integra) I own a halfass ITR. I had a full one until I blew the engine(dont run 15 pounds of boost on a stock ITR[wasnt my fault entirely my wastegate failed and well lets just say I ruined a $5000 motor]) so with a lack of funds I put in a LS engine and used the turbo I had on the ITR engine, so my car is plenty quick. I really cant say I like the looks of the Cooper but then again Im as conservative as Honda's styling so.

#72448 - 19/02/2002 02:47 Re: Anybody installed on Mini Cooper (New One) [Re: altman]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
The Civic Type R is built in Swindon

Yeah and the Mclaren F1 is built in Milton Keynes, what's your point?

Rob

#72449 - 19/02/2002 03:11 Re: Anybody installed on Mini Cooper (New One) [Re: rob]
acurasquirrel

His point is only the good hondas are made in Japan

#72450 - 19/02/2002 07:50 Re: Anybody installed on Mini Cooper (New One) [Re: altman]
potts
new poster

Don't sell the queue place! You know it makes sense...

p.s. Thanks for the pics and info.

#72451 - 19/02/2002 07:55 Re: Anybody installed on Mini Cooper (New One) [Re: acurasquirrel]
altman
carpal tunnel

I didn't like the styling of the old CTR at all (well, the last-gen civic, actually). The new CTR looks quite mean and you get a lot for the money - 197bhp engine, 17" wheels, nice seats, etc. The brakes are supposed to be amazing, a couple of magazines have rated it as the fastest stopping car they've ever tested, it stops faster than a 911GT3 (and having been on a track following one of those, they brake *very, very* late into corners!).

ITR is a bit dated if you ask me. I prefer something a bit more sophisticated too, in terms of soundproofing, etc.

Hugo

#72452 - 19/02/2002 09:24 Re: Anybody installed on Mini Cooper (New One) [Re: jimhogan]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
By this standard I should get all hot and bothered over a dental drill.

LOL

It is all about power to weight ratios though. That is why a Cooper S would simply be a blast to drive!

#72453 - 19/02/2002 09:28 Re: Anybody installed on Mini Cooper (New One) [Re: jimhogan]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

I should get all hot and bothered over a dental drill.

Now, Jiiiiiiim, you're being snippy!

(I only mean to say that I have been in some cars that I thought were loads of fun, but that probably wouldn't win any redline contests. It's the total package. Given the choice -- like, I wish!! -- I think I would jump at the Cooper S for the combined fun/sex appeal/conversation starter factors. Back seat passenger room? I never ride back there!)

Bad Jim!

#72454 - 19/02/2002 09:56 Re: Anybody installed on Mini Cooper (New One) [Re: jimhogan]
altman
carpal tunnel

What do you mean, riding in the back seat? You've got me all wrong there

(Speaking of which, the mini may be too cramped for anything *but* sitting in the back. I'm a bit past that now, though, not being 17 anymore )

Hugo

#72455 - 19/02/2002 14:41 Re: Anybody installed on Mini Cooper (New One) [Re: acurasquirrel]
ClownBurner

Loc: Irvine, CA USA
Oooooooooh! A white honda! Around here that's about as rare as flies on ****...

I think the Cooper has it all in style over any Honda...

#72456 - 19/02/2002 15:45 Re: Anybody installed on Mini Cooper (New One) [Re: ClownBurner]
acurasquirrel

Yeah well you obviously dont know what Type-R means

#72457 - 19/02/2002 15:58 Re: Anybody installed on Mini Cooper (New One) *DELETED* [Re: acurasquirrel]
acurasquirrel

Post deleted by acurasquirrel

#72458 - 19/02/2002 16:01 Re: Anybody installed on Mini Cooper (New One) [Re: acurasquirrel]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Attachment not working... it is a BMP, so maybe it was too big?

Hugo, just get whatever seems like the most fun. To get the ladies, just have them get in the car and show them the boot logo I made of you. hehe Chicks dig me for just OWNING one.

#72459 - 19/02/2002 16:26 Re: Anybody installed on Mini Cooper (New One) [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
acurasquirrel

Here we go again the new CTR

Attachments
70896-CTR.jpg (938 downloads)

#72460 - 19/02/2002 20:18 Re: Anybody installed on Mini Cooper (New One) [Re: acurasquirrel]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Yeah, that's a nice looking Suzuki.

Honda styling has taken a nose dive since 1995. The RSX looks so bad I wouldn't keep one if it were given to me. Don't get me wrong... I'd sell it. But I wouldn't keep it or drive it. Honda got together with every other manufacturer of small crampt cars and worked out one generic design. Chrysler Neon, Ford Focus, etc... Boxy and ugly pieces of crap, all of them. Of course Honda's crap is always orders of magnitude better than most anyone else's gold. Honda design has been extremely conservative over the past couple of model years. Just one aspect I can't stand on these new models is their grills. That kills the sport look right there. The grill belongs on a sedan, but not a Civic. I suppose you can take a cue from US motor companies. Put a sticker on your vehicle that says "sport"

I'm surprised they didn't completely screw up the new NSX. But I'm also disappointed they didn't tweak the design to make it as cool as it could have been.

The Mini has a newness factor that will be unmatched by anything else this year. It will also hold its resale as well as any Honda (unlike any other BMW).

The Civic SiR will be out here (Canada) soon. I'm sure it will sell like wildfire in the Toronto area. It's always been a real rice hotbed.

Bruno

#72461 - 19/02/2002 20:23 Re: Anybody installed on Mini Cooper (New One) [Re: hybrid8]
acurasquirrel

Personally second too the NSX the JDM Integra's had the best styling of any honda, gotta luv the one piece headlights.

#72462 - 19/02/2002 21:10 Re: Anybody installed on Mini Cooper (New One) [Re: hybrid8]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

This is all subjective of course... but in this case - you're just wrong Bruno because I don't agree. I actually think that for a $10,000 car, the Focus is a nice looking design. Honda must have thought so too. The new Civics look soooo much like them.

I personally bought a car that I thought was a little homely. But I like the interior, and it is a blast to drive. I would have bought a Jetta if I wanted a "pretty" car that I could afford. It all depends on priorities I suppose.

#72463 - 19/02/2002 22:28 Re: Anybody installed on Mini Cooper (New One) [Re: hybrid8]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yeah, that's a nice looking Suzuki.

ROFL, good one.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >