Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#7307 - 04/11/1999 10:50 Emplode unusuable without mouse
NasalGoat

Loc: Toronto, ON, Canada
As I don't currently have my laptop, I needed to unplug my mouse to use the serial port to upgrade my empeg.

I discovered that you cannot use the keyboard to navigate in emplode at all. For example, after synchonizing, it has a window up that requires you to click "Close", but there is no way to do so without the mouse!

This is a very serious problem as I can see...

#7308 - 04/11/1999 18:48 Re: Emplode unusuable without mouse [Re: NasalGoat]
doug316
journeyman

I seriously hope that upgrading by serial is only for the interim. I hope there is no reason we can't use the usb port in the future to upgrade!!

I would hope you could dump a new firmware image to the empeg via USB while it was up and running into a spare location on the disk. Then when you reboot the empeg, it checks for a new image and then upgrades itself.

#7309 - 05/11/1999 02:37 Re: Emplode unusuable without mouse [Re: NasalGoat]
mac
addict

Loc: Cambridge, UK
I discovered that you cannot use the keyboard to navigate in emplode at all. For example, after synchonizing, it has a window up that required you to click "Close", but there is no way to do so without the mouse!

I've known about this bug for some time. I had a go at fixing it when I first discovered it but Windows seems to be behaving oddly. If you look at the button it has a default button type border around it which means it should just work if you press Enter - but it doesn't. I haven't tried pressing Tab a few times until the button gets the focus but if that doesn't work too then something very odd is going on. I'll try and have another look at it later.

I've tried to add keyboard shortcuts to frequent actions. I can think of one specific action that may not be particularly easy with the keyboard - I'll have a play later.

--
Mike Crowe
I may not be speaking on behalf of empeg above :-)

#7310 - 05/11/1999 08:01 Re: Emplode unusuable without mouse [Re: doug316]
Dearing
addict

Loc: Florida
Upgrading the Flash by serial is no problem. It only takes a couple of minutes, and we don't have to do it very often.
I imagine it's designed like that because the StrongArm can inherently upgrade it's flash with serial, regardless of the Operating System, and could not load USB drivers(although the Chip has built-in USB support, I think), because the chip can't be running anything(ie. Linux) when the flash is upgraded.
Let me know, Empeg team, If I'm way off.
Jason

_~= Dearing =~_
"WAY too happy about having #99."

#7311 - 05/11/1999 08:37 Re: Emplode unusuable without mouse [Re: mac]
kim

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
I've known about this bug for some time. I had a go at fixing it when I first discovered it but Windows seems to be behaving oddly. If you look at the button it has a default button type border around it which means it should just work if you press Enter - but it doesn't. I haven't tried pressing Tab a few times until the button gets the focus but if that doesn't work too then something very odd is going on. I'll try and have another look at it later.

In case you are using MFC, you'll just need to name it "&Close" and it will automatically add underline under C character and therefore it's selectable with keyboard by pressing ALT+C.

- Kim

#7312 - 05/11/1999 11:52 Re: Emplode unusuable without mouse [Re: Dearing]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
The reason why is that to run USB you need quite a bit of code. The reflashing code sits in a write-protected 8k page at the start of the flash - and the full, written-in-c usb code won't fit in there. The StrongARM has USB, but it doesn't work, so we don't use it - we use an external USB slave chip.

At some point I'll recode it in assembler and get it all in the bootblock - hopefully before the 1.0 release. It's not a priority at the moment though.

Hugo

#7313 - 05/11/1999 12:02 Re: Emplode unusuable without mouse [Re: kim]
mac
addict

Loc: Cambridge, UK
In case you are using MFC, you'll just need to name it "&Close" and it will automatically add underline under C character and therefore it's selectable with keyboard by pressing ALT+C.

That's not just MFC, that's Windows. :-)

The problem goes deeper than that unfortunately.

--
Mike Crowe
I may not be speaking on behalf of empeg above :-)