Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#7396 - 17/12/1999 17:45 screen burn
carlalex
new poster

Loc: Berkeley, CA
Is there a way to force the empeg to blank the screen or enable some screen saving features during synchronization? Having accepted my fate (for the time being anyway) to use the serial port to be able to load the empeg from my linux machine means 16 hours to load one CDR worth of tunes. A 20 GB empeg means I am doing this almost every night. I now have the unit about 60% full and I've started to notice some faint screen burn (I can see a faint outline of the synchronizing pop-up box when that portion of the screen is lit by paused eye candy or something). This is not cool since the unit is barely a month old and I want to use it for years.

of course, linux USB support would greatly ease my burden by speeding up synchs a order of magnitude or so. :-)

serial #264, 20 GB.

--- Carl

#7397 - 18/12/1999 04:14 Re: screen burn [Re: carlalex]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Are you using a recent version of the player software? The synchronisation message now "wanders" around the screen specifically to prevent burn-in.

If you don't already have it, Beta8C is online along with a new version of emptool.

Rob

Rob

#7398 - 20/12/1999 07:37 Re: screen burn [Re: carlalex]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
You could set the unit in the "standby" mode (power of, LED winking) to prevent this; alternatively, you could step through the visuals list until you reach the blank screen.

I am rather curious how screen-burn can happen on an electro-flourescent display!

Which version of the Unit software are you running?

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015