Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#76963 - 01/03/2002 15:48 Relocating HEater controls on an M3
AlB

Loc: SF
HATE MY SINGLE DIN....LOVE MY M3

Anyone have any info (links,friends, experience) with moving heater controls for m3 (1995) down to below computer so as to make room for Empeg + Head unit...I'm desparate for Empeg+Radio and it sounds like a LONG wait for tuners, if at all.

Thanx

#76964 - 01/03/2002 18:37 Re: Relocating HEater controls on an M3 [Re: AlB]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
.I'm desparate for Empeg+Radio and it sounds like a LONG wait for tuners, if at all.

If you are content to deal with a slightly inconvenient and somewhat low-quality sound on a temporary basis while waiting for the new tuners to be produced, there may be an easier way to do it.

Just get any kind of portable radio that has line-outs (even a walkman-style radio's headphone jack will have enough power, I think) and connect it to the Aux-In on the empeg player.

This is what I did with my car (before there were any tuners available) and after testing it to see that it worked, never used it (not even once!) because with a dash full of mp3s, who needs radio!

tanstaafl.

#76965 - 03/03/2002 01:24 Re: Relocating HEater controls on an M3 [Re: AlB]
DanielWO
new poster

Speaking of 95 M3's and tuners...I am without a tuner as well. Do you have any idea how you would fit a tuner (if we were to get one) behind the head unit? I couldn't believe how little space there is back there. The mass of wires was hard enough for me...

#76966 - 03/03/2002 08:47 Re: Relocating HEater controls on an M3 [Re: DanielWO]
AlB

Loc: SF
Not even sure how much space is needed. I thought the tuner was a separate "thingy" (attached by wires). I had my current head Unit installed and it fit just fine. Anyone know how/where the tuner (if they will exist) connects???

#76967 - 03/03/2002 09:33 Re: Relocating HEater controls on an M3 [Re: AlB]
NicolasW
journeyman

Loc: USA
The "analog" type heater controls are much bulkier than the "digital" type controls of the 1996+ M3's. If you've taken the glove box off, I think you will see the controls intimately connected to the vent system, which would make the movement of the controls hard.

I at one time thought about retrofitting my (1995) heater controls to the 1996+ digital unit because it is smaller, but many from the various lists (E36M3, UUCDigest, Bimmerforums, DTMPower) said it was difficult if not impossible.

If you are up to the task, you can get a relatively cheap used digital unit from http://www.bimmerworld.com

Good luck!!
Wes
E36 M3

#76968 - 03/03/2002 21:38 Re: Relocating HEater controls on an M3 [Re: AlB]
DanielWO
new poster

I think the tuner is a little box type thing that connects to the antenna cables and also to the white clip hanging off the back of the car dock. From my experience installing my riocar, I noticed that there isn't much (if any) room for a box type thing behind the head unit. I had to carefully fit the wires into the little nooks and crannies that were available just to fit them behind the car dock. I think this is related to the heater controls thread, as the 95 controls/vent system seem to take up quite a bit of space behind the dash.

#76969 - 04/03/2002 16:33 Re: Relocating HEater controls on an M3 [Re: DanielWO]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Do you have any idea how you would fit a tuner (if we were to get one) behind the head unit?

The tuner is a completely separate module, not too large (maybe 5" in it's largest dimension) and it can be located a foot or more away from the plyer. If you can find any sort of "hole" inside your dash, you can stash the tuner there and just run wires to the antenna connection and to the back of the player.

tanstaafl.