Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#81049 - 15/03/2002 11:46 New Sled Filler Box/Pocket
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
I made a funky but servicable black plastic filler box out of ABS sheet and previously posted a pic here .

Recently, I ordered another cheap Kenwood HU to redo my boat setup from Crutchfield. They asked "what kind of car is it going it to?" I figured, what the heck, get a spare harness adapter for my car so I told them a WRX.

Well, in addition to the harness adapter they sent a newer-style all-purpose modular black pocket that came with 3 different trim rings and two different styles of side adapter plates. The largest trim ring covers the sled flange quite well, and, with one of the 2 side plates installed, if pops in the sled opening neatly (I did snip some protrusions off the side plates and bevelled the back edge of the top of the trim ring a little.

Anyhow, a pic of the box is attached. A few in-car pics to follow. Sadly, I mislaid the plastic bag this came in so I don't know the manufacturer (will dig through the trash bucket on the boat and post if I find it), but a Crutchfield rep should be able to puzzle it out. I'd guess it couldn't cost more than $10-$15.

I may do a little more work on this to shave the back of the trim ring so that it doesn't protrude as much then lock all the plastic parts in place with some (what else?) JB Weld.

Jim

Attachments
78901-Empeg-NewBlackBox.jpg (124 downloads)

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#81050 - 15/03/2002 11:48 Re: New Sled Filler Box/Pocket [Re: jimhogan]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Pic #2 in car with Kenwood face plate closed

Attachments
78902-Empeg-NewBlackBoxInCar1.jpg (131 downloads)

#81051 - 15/03/2002 11:48 Re: New Sled Filler Box/Pocket [Re: jimhogan]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Pic #3 with Kenwood open

Attachments
78903-Empeg-NewBlackBoxInCar2.jpg (118 downloads)

#81052 - 15/03/2002 11:50 Re: New Sled Filler Box/Pocket [Re: jimhogan]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Oh and for good measure a pic of the new smoke faceplate in daytime (I tried for a few night shots, but they were pathetic...)

Jim

Attachments
78904-Empeg-SmokeFaceplate-Daytime.jpg (138 downloads)

#81053 - 15/03/2002 19:05 Re: New Sled Filler Box/Pocket [Re: jimhogan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Boy, I sure do like them ``Flying Burrito Bothers''.

Seriously, it looks like it sticks out just a hair more than the empeg itself does, but it's hard to tell from the pictures. Can you confirm or deny that, senator?

#81054 - 15/03/2002 20:08 Re: New Sled Filler Box/Pocket [Re: wfaulk]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Boy, I sure do like them ``Flying Burrito Bothers"

D'OH!

The CDDB lookup said "Bros" which bugged me, but I made it *worse*. Not to worry. TagStudio cures all!

Yes, as you can probably tell from pic #1, that trim ring protrudes a bit much. I am going to hack about 1/3 of the thickness off the back. The catch is that it has a very slight bevel, and if I take too much off, it may not hide the sled flanges as well as I'd like. More pics to follow.

In the revelations department, the pocket is made by "American International". Don't know the kit number, but all the pieces have "XXX 750" stamped on them (where XXX is some alpha code).

I pulled my one (newer) spare sled out to use while I hack some of the pocket plastic and realized the following: A) yes, it *is* plain steel (my fridge magnet sticks to it) and B) I got one of the defective jobbers without a rolled top lip!!

No big deal, I will reserve this non-stainless, unlipped specimen for my Next-Generation, Loren-Beater, Very-Glossy, Rack-Mount, More-Sophisticated-Than-Is-Truly-Useful Empeg Box!

(Uh, anybody ever written an SNMP agent that reports invalid MP3 files????)

Jim

#81055 - 15/03/2002 21:56 Re: New Sled Filler Box/Pocket [Re: jimhogan]
Waterman981
old hand

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
I have one that looks a lot like yours. I just removed it to put in my empeg. I got mine from Circuit City for something like $10. It had 3 different front panels. I'll try them all and post pics. Great idea!

#040103696 on a shelf
Mk2a - 90 GB - Red - Illuminated buttons

#81056 - 17/03/2002 18:28 Re: New Sled Filler Box/Pocket [Re: wfaulk]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

"Senator"? Just caught that. Well, I dun been called a lot of things, but.....

FYI, a link to a picture of this pocket kit for sale for $12.99 can be found here .

In that link's pic you can see the thicker ring I tired at first. Even after I shaved that ring by about 1/3 it still stuck out a bit. Also, shaving it reduced its width a bit -- to the point that it had no advantage over ring #2. Here's a pic with ring #2 in the car. A tiny bit of the sled lip is exposed - not such a big deal with my silver bezel, but if I ever have to take the sled out of the car, I may shave 1/8" off each side.

Anyhow, this thinner rings sits flush...

Attachments
79365-Pocketv2-1.jpg (108 downloads)

#81057 - 17/03/2002 18:31 Re: New Sled Filler Box/Pocket [Re: jimhogan]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

And here's a final pic of the box out of the car. For safety sake I added a cutout to stay well clear of the docking connector (I added a a rectangle of black ABS to hide this and make sure nothing drifts out the back of the pocket when its in the car). A little JB Weld...I'm done.

Attachments
79368-Pocketv2-2.jpg (97 downloads)