Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#82915 - 22/03/2002 05:13 Simple 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Install Notes
Alexander

Loc: SF Bay Area
So I've seen pictures of Empegs in 3G Eclipses, but they all appeared to have little cutouts on the side of the player for the sled lip. My car is leased, so that wasn't the best option. (I'm sure the center dash part isn't terribly expensive, but I would have liked to avoid cutting it if at all possible. Cleaner look, too.) Also mentioned were problems with actually mounting the sled, since the radio mounts from the side, not the back. Welding, strapping, and drilling were all proposed.

Well, with a little bit of creativity, it turns out it isn't that hard.

The trick is to remove the center dash piece and then put the sled in from the *front*, that is, back of the sled pushes into the front of the hole in the dash. It's mildly tricky to push it in, but once it's in, it slides through and around pretty easily. Reattach the radio mounting bracket to the car using the bottom two screws only (the ones by the pocket). From there, push the sled/dash piece combo into the mounting bracket (which is a tad too small, and will bend slightly. You'll probably have to bend (very slightly) the mounting bracket off of one of the little plastic tabs that it rests on, or remove one of the tabs. Then put the dash back on. It won't go on quite as solidly as before, with a little bit of give at the top, but the screws on the bottom hold it on pretty securely. The resultant friction between the sled and the slightly-too-small mounting bracket, as well as the dash piece, keep it from moving out, and the sled lip overlapping the dash piece and pocket prevent it from moving in. There's no problem inserting or removing the Empeg.

It also looks really clean. Maybe I'll post pictures later.

I haven't driven around in this configuration yet, so maybe it being slightly loose will shake it to pieces, but I doubt it's that bad.

Electrical install comes later, as I don't have the parts yet. Kind of sucks being able to see the Empeg in my car but not able to turn it on or play music.

More after that's done, maybe a week or so.

Alex

#82916 - 22/03/2002 15:20 Re: Simple 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Install Notes [Re: Alexander]
jarredduq
journeyman

Loc: California, USA
I'm about to install an Empeg in my wife's 2001 Chrysler Sebring coupe, which is basically a Misubishi Eclipse with Chrylser labels.

The center console is different though(not double din), so I ordered a new Mitsubishi one from http://www.oem-car-parts.com/?mitsubishi-accessories.com1

I will use your tips in doing the install. In my Hyundai Santa Fe I had no choice but to grind the console, because it was too narrow for the cage to slide in. You can see that install at: http://www.riocar.org/modules.php?set_albumName=album39&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

#82917 - 22/03/2002 17:41 Re: Simple 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Install Notes [Re: Alexander]
tracerbullet
addict

Loc: Minnesota
Agreed, it just depends on what you want to do. The sled press fits into place tightly enough that it's not going to move much if at all. But I like everything to be bullet proof - I put a lot of work into something to make sure I don't need to work on it again, hence I had a few tack welds made.

Mounting it through th front is fine too, some people have done that. It protrudes from the face a little, but not too badly. But I wanted it to be flush, that was my top priority there, so I had to cut the sides out a little. Again neither is better or worse, just depends on what you want to do. Your method is perfect for you and will be for others. Just not me

Congratulations on your Eclipse and empeg!

#82918 - 30/03/2002 00:56 Re: Simple 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Install Notes [Re: Alexander]
Alexander

Loc: SF Bay Area
Did the electrical install today. I'm using the stock amp and speakers, so I got these two adapters:

http://www.audio-warehouse.com/detail.asp?mdl=HRC-MIT
http://www.audio-warehouse.com/detail.asp?mdl=MI02B

Pretty straightforward, just connect the wires based on their descriptions (not necessarily colors!). One thing that threw me is that there is no ground on the power harness. My first test revealed that the black wire on the smaller "clock harness" is not in fact ground, as I had expected. So I attached the ground cable to the screw on the radio mounting bracket, and it appears to work fine; no ground noise. I'm not sure where the stock radio gets ground from, maybe the antenna or amp connectors.

So it's all in and good. Pictures tomorrow when it's light out.

Alex

#82919 - 09/06/2002 18:24 Re: Simple 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Install Notes [Re: tracerbullet]
Kinjin
new poster

Loc: Bradenton, Florida, USA
tracerbullet- got pics? I'll be installing mine soon (prolly this week).

#82920 - 09/06/2002 22:28 Re: Simple 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Install Notes [Re: Kinjin]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
since he doesn't seem to be around...

pics of other people's installs can be seen here:
http://www.eclipseforums.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17561

#82921 - 11/06/2002 15:18 Re: Simple 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Install Notes [Re: JBjorgen]
tracerbullet
addict

Ahh, thanks - I was out of town for a few days.

#82922 - 11/06/2002 18:28 Re: Simple 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Install Notes [Re: tracerbullet]
Kinjin
new poster

Loc: Bradenton, Florida, USA
tracer-

very clean install! I was deliberatiing over that very same Sony HU, but I went for the Pioneer DEH-9400 instead. What mounting kit did you use?

#82923 - 12/06/2002 15:03 Re: Simple 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Install Notes [Re: Kinjin]
tracerbullet
addict

I didn't... The Sony is screwed in through the holes already in the stock bracket, using the screws Sony provided - that part went right together. The empeg was lined up by eye and then tack welded into place (by tack welding I mean it was hit in four corners for just a second each - it's secure but would be fairly easy to grind off to switch cars). The on the bezel of the car, I carefully hit it with a Dremel and later on with varying grades of sandpaper and a sanding block to keep it flat.

My only regret is that I cut the sides of the bezel first where the empeg would slide back into to keep it flush. It was after I cut those that I realized I needed to cut some from the top of the opening as well. Once I did that, it turned out that the side cuts that once were perfect now extended too far down. Apparently I'm the only that notices, and by now I have pretty much forgotten about it.