Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#85771 - 05/04/2002 20:54 WTF? Radio in trunk?
Heather
addict

Loc: NY
Anyone familiar with this half assed system GM devised for the bose systems in early 90's cadillacs? (More specifically, a 92 eldorado). More importantly, how to change the f**king head unit?

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#85772 - 05/04/2002 21:37 Re: WTF? Radio in trunk? [Re: Heather]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I was curious to see what you're talking about, but I could only find this page. What part of it is in the trunk?

#85773 - 05/04/2002 23:19 Re: WTF? Radio in trunk? [Re: robricc]
Heather
addict

The radio receiver, antenna input, and the speaker outs. the head unit contains the CD player and the tape deck only. I'm starting to wish for this car to catch fire soon....

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#85774 - 06/04/2002 04:47 Re: WTF? Radio in trunk? [Re: Heather]
justinlarsen
old hand

Loc: Petaluma, CA
anything with that damned bose system is hell, i have a 92 acura ledgend install to do.. oh boy

#85775 - 09/04/2002 20:43 Re: WTF? Radio in trunk? [Re: Heather]
fede
journeyman

Loc: Texas
I have a '94 Cadillac Deville Concours with the "Active Audio" system. It is very similiar to what you have. There are actually 3 main components to the system. The head unit, the AM/FM Reciever, and the amplifier. The head unit is of course in the dash, the reciever and the amplifier are located in the trunk. Are you simply wanting to replace the head unit in the dash and utilize the rest of the factory system or do you want to simply start from scratch?

In mine I elected to keep a factory look so I kept all the original components in place. I built a console (unlike your Eldorado mine does not come with one) and put the Empeg in it. I then put a couple of amps in the spare tire well for the sake of stealth and not wanting to cut up my car. I then wired factory reciever in as the auxiliary input to the Empeg. I disconnected the factory amplifier and ran new wires to the new speakers I added. It works great. The biggest complication was tying into the output from the factory reciever. I actually had to cut some wires in the factory harness and solder in some RCA jacks.

#85776 - 10/04/2002 14:51 Re: WTF? Radio in trunk? [Re: fede]
Heather
addict

Are you simply wanting to replace the head unit in the dash and utilize the rest of the factory system or do you want to simply start from scratch?

The shitbox (I mean er lovely Eldorado) belongs to my boyfriend. His head unit is all sorts of [censored] up, so I just wanted to put my old sony in its place, leave the rest intact. Any way possible? ( I still maintain, I'd like to see it undergo a horrible flaming death)

#85777 - 11/04/2002 11:14 Re: WTF? Radio in trunk? [Re: Heather]
fede
journeyman

Loc: Texas
If you just want to put the sony in place of the factory head unit it should not be that much of an issue. If you want to use the speaker outputs from the sony you will need to run speaker wire from the head unit as the factory wires all run to the trunk. The antenna wire will need a long extension to run up to the dash to plug into the sony as well.