Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#89558 - 23/04/2002 12:38 Re: Using compactflash cards in the Empeg [Re: genixia]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I was actually thinking that it might make more sense to enable module support in the kernel. IIRC, doing that doesn't increase overhead (until you insert modules, obviously). That way, people could add FAT support or anything else, just by having a new module made, rather than having to distribute a whole new kernel.

#89559 - 23/04/2002 12:41 Re: Using compactflash cards in the Empeg [Re: nkildal]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Am attaching the date binary. Don't remember where I dug it up, but there's been posted pointers to various tar-balls of utilities.

If nowhere else there's the debian arm distribution http://www.debian.org - just got to figure out which .deb file the wanted binary lives in...

Attachments
88190-date (208 downloads)

#89560 - 23/04/2002 16:52 Re: Using compactflash cards in the Empeg [Re: wfaulk]
tman
carpal tunnel

I'm more than willing to compile a new kernel and modules for anybody that wants it but you'll have to test anything yourselves because I probably won't have the necessary hardware.

Might be an idea to ask Mark to turn on module support in his prebuilt kernels. If not I'll do them.

- Trevor

#89561 - 23/04/2002 18:48 Re: Using compactflash cards in the Empeg [Re: genixia]
Shonky
pooh-bah

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Looks like it adds about 32k to the compressed kernel, so it's not insubstantial. More reason for modules I believe although that will add some overhead.

What was the kernel size limit again? The empeg only has 1MB of flash all up remember
#40104192 120Gb (no longer in my E36 M3, won't fit the E46 M3)

#89562 - 23/04/2002 20:10 Re: Using compactflash cards in the Empeg [Re: wfaulk]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

At first glance, module support would appear to make sense, but I have been thinking about it some more, and I suspect that it isn't worth it:

1) We'd have to define where the modules were kept on the filesystem. IIRC, they are usually in /lib/modules/version. This would have to live on a disk partition as it's size would be indeterminate, so a custom mount would be required. This isn't a big issue, but it'd be a pain to set up.

2) We'd also need the necessary modutils. insmod, which is symlinked by lsmod,rmmod and modprobe is 94k. This could probably live ok on the disc partition too, as long as it wasn't needed before pre-init. We'd also need /etc/modules.conf and /lib/modules/version/modules.dep (about 56k on my system, but it is build specific I believe)

3) What else do we really need in the kernel? I can't see any need for any other filesystem support - ext2 and FAT should cover it. Even if people are using the IDE bus in unexpected ways (eg this compactflash idea - way cool), chances are that anything they plug into it is going to be either ext2 or FAT. Maybe it'd be nice to have ext3 with it's journalling capabilites, but AFAIK this is only available in the 2.4.x linux trees, and hasn't been back-ported.
As for hardware, there isn't anywhere to plug any traditional hardware into. No PCI, no parallel, no USB master, no VESA, no AGP etc. All the current hardware (serial, LAN, USB slave, display board etc) is already controlled by the kernel anyway, so there's nothing to add here.
What does that leave that we might want?

#89563 - 24/04/2002 01:17 Re: Using compactflash cards in the Empeg [Re: mtempsch]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
just got to figure out which .deb file the wanted binary lives in...

Here's what I do:

1. Go to http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages
2. At the bottom of the page is the search window.
3. Type your binary name (e.g. 'date') into the "Search the contents" window.
4. Hit "Search". The results come back.
5. Top of the list, in this case, is bin/date, in base/shellutils

Now, if you click on the "base/shellutils" link, it'll take you to a page summarising dependencies, etc. Take a look at it. However, from here, it'll probably take you to x86 binaries. We want ARM binaries, so...

6. Go to http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/binary-arm/
7. Click on (in this example) "base"
8. Grab the "shellutils_version.deb" file.

This is the .deb file containing the binary files we wanted (and probably more besides).

Now, to unpack the file, you'll either need a copy of 'ar' on your player, or a Linux/Cygwin installation handy:

1. ar p file.deb data.tar.gz > file.tar.gz
2. Send this file to the empeg (either using Hijack or ZModem). I generally put the .tar.gz files into /drive0, so that they're not overwritten by an upgrade.
3. Unpack it into the root.

Presto, a copy of date for your empeg.

#89564 - 24/04/2002 16:06 Re: Using compactflash cards in the Empeg [Re: wfaulk]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Module support chews up a fair amount of RAM to hold the kernel exported symbol table. Dunno how much bigger that makes it.. maybe 64KBytes or so. I'd rather use that space as a music buffer.

By comparism, almost all of Hijack currently fits into about 64KB.

Cheers

#89565 - 24/04/2002 16:12 Re: Using compactflash cards in the Empeg [Re: mlord]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Fair enough. Misinformation on my part.

#89566 - 25/04/2002 13:53 Re: Using compactflash cards in the Empeg [Re: nkildal]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
This thing you're working on is pretty exciting. Is it possible to get one of those Flash Card interfaced IBM Microdrives and use it as a "Music Keg for the Empeg" ? :-)

Calvin

#89567 - 25/04/2002 14:11 Re: Using compactflash cards in the Empeg [Re: eternalsun]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
It would be interesting for those who want a small area to record things to with the microphone input, or for capturing live radio clips (albeit pretty short ones). Leaving a piece of flash RW would't seem to be as problematic as leaving a HD read-write. At least from the layman's point of view (i.e. mine).

Just a thought.

-Zeke

#89568 - 26/04/2002 05:08 Re: Using compactflash cards in the Empeg [Re: Ezekiel]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Well, just keep in mind that, contrary to common opinion, the Empeg's drives are "read write" the entire time they are running.. and the Empeg player software does write to them on the fly for shuffle lists, equalizer settings, and the INFO-SEEK tool data.

Pretty safe on the whole. I think sudden powerfail to a compactflash device is way more dangerous.

-ml

#89569 - 26/04/2002 05:47 Re: Using compactflash cards in the Empeg [Re: mlord]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
I sit corrected! I guess needing to set the drives RO at the end of terminal sessions led me to that belief. I'm a bit of a luddite on these matters...

-Zeke

#89570 - 26/04/2002 05:58 Using compactflash cards in the Empeg - status [Re: nkildal]
nkildal
new poster

Loc: Aarhus, Denmark
Hi everyone

Again - thanks for all your help with my project.
Product support like this can't be beaten
Here's an update on the project:

I have now written the first (very raw) version of my script, which checks the existence of the CF card after boot (run via a preinit script), and then just copies its entire content to a directory under /drive0/images with the name YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS.

This way I get a complete backup of the CF card everytime i boot the Empeg.

The script then writes the current status of the "imagebank" and updates the log - all in a file called "statuslog".
I can the read this logfile using John Heathco's Viewer application - run from the Hijack menu.
The logfile looks something like this:

-------- status --------
Empeg currently holds:
movies: 0
size: 16M
--------- log ----------
25 Apr 14:53
copied 13 img & 0 mov
24 Apr 17:21
copied 21 img & 0 mov

I made a directory called /cfcopy for the logfiles, this then has a subdirectory /cfcopy/images which is a link to /drive0/images.

Heres the script (first version - not necessarily well written ):

#!/bin/sh

#Checking for existence of CF card
if mount -t msdos -r -o noauto,nocheck /dev/hdc1 /mnt/cf
then

# Mounting hdd in RW mode
/bin/rw
/bin/rwm

#Copying images to hdd
imgdir=`/bin/date +%Y%m%d-%H%M%S`
mkdir /cfcopy/images/$imgdir
cp --preserve --recursive /mnt/cf/* /cfcopy/images/$imgdir

#Updating status
imgnumall=`ls -R /cfcopy/images | grep -c jpg`
movnumall=`ls -R /cfcopy/images | grep -c avi`
size=`du -Shc /cfcopy/images/* | grep total`
echo "-------- status --------" > /cfcopy/.tmp/status
echo "Empeg currently holds:" >> /cfcopy/.tmp/status
echo " images: $imgnumall" >> /cfcopy/.tmp/status
echo " movies: $movnumall" >> /cfcopy/.tmp/status
echo " size: $size" >> /cfcopy/.tmp/status
echo "--------- log ----------" >> /cfcopy/.tmp/status

#Updating log
imgnum=`ls -R /cfcopy/images/$imgdir | grep -c jpg`
movnum=`ls -R /cfcopy/images/$imgdir | grep -c avi`
echo `/bin/date "+%d %b %H:%M"` > /cfcopy/.tmp/log.new
echo " copied $imgnum img & $movnum mov" >> /cfcopy/.tmp/log.new
cat /cfcopy/.tmp/log.new /cfcopy/.tmp/log.old > /cfcopy/.tmp/log
cp --force /cfcopy/.tmp/log /cfcopy/.tmp/log.old

#Writing new status file
cat /cfcopy/.tmp/status /cfcopy/.tmp/log > /cfcopy/statuslog

# Cleaning up
umount /dev/hdc1
/bin/rom
/bin/ro

else

echo "Copying failed..."

fi

My next plan is to borrow some of the source code from the excellent viewer application, and make use of its capability of hacking into the Hijack menu.
This way I could do a lot of extra things in the code, for instance do a verification of the copying, launch the copy process itself from within the menu instead of running it at boot time and many other things...

And by the way - I got my new Kingston 256 Mb CF card yesterday - and it is working perfect!
At boot time it reports itself as a "TOSHIBA THNCF256MBA, ATA DISK drive".

Regards
Nicolai

#89571 - 26/04/2002 06:30 Re: Using compactflash cards in the Empeg [Re: Ezekiel]
tms13
old hand

Loc: Lochcarron and Edinburgh
What Mark was saying is that even though the music partitions are mounted read-only, other parts of the drive get written to during normal operation. You do need to set the music partitions (and the root partition) read-only when you've finished them, unless you want to corrupt your filesystems.

#89572 - 29/04/2002 15:24 Re: Using compactflash cards in the Empeg [Re: nkildal]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Sorry about that, my lab machine that had the crosscompiler died in an RAID bios glitch. I had forgotten to update things here.

#89573 - 30/04/2002 22:26 Re: Using compactflash cards in the Empeg - status [Re: nkildal]
svferris
addict

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Wow, this is really cool. You're basically making the empeg into a Digital Wallet. So, if you ever go on a road trip, you have all the storage you need! I guess it would work for those of you who take your empeg with you on planes too...

Please keep us posted as to how this comes along...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2