Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#89938 - 23/04/2002 08:06 Dension DMP3
AnGeL666
new poster

Loc: Belgium
I am following the empeg for quite some time now and since i get my drivers licence next week (hopefully) I was interested in purchassing one.
I didn't check the news for the last two months (couldent handle it xD) and now i see there are no more available ;((( this is very bad news for me since i gave up a LOT to save for an empeg (drugs, cigarettes,.... to save money)

Sow here comes my question now:
- Does anyone here know something more about the Dension DMP3 or could anyone with knowledge care to take a look
http://www.mp3newswire.net/stories/2002/densionreview.html
http://www.dension.com/english/indexeng.html
- Or in a desperate attempt i would ask if anyone would sell a backup unit to me without wanting to make money off it (PLLZZZ ;o ).

soz for my bad english,
thx,

AnGeL666

#89939 - 23/04/2002 08:10 Re: Dension DMP3 [Re: AnGeL666]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
There has been limited discussion about it in this thread already.

#89940 - 23/04/2002 08:55 Re: Dension DMP3 [Re: robricc]
AnGeL666
new poster

Loc: Belgium
arf, its a neo clone an not anything like the empeg
arf !!!

empeg??? anyone ??????........ xD

#89941 - 23/04/2002 22:37 Re: Dension DMP3 [Re: AnGeL666]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Try ebay.

#89942 - 24/04/2002 16:56 Re: Dension DMP3 [Re: ]
Satan_X
enthusiast

Loc: Ramsey, NJ
I'm sorry, but spending part of my day working with PC drive cages, I know how 'cheap' those things feel.......

#89943 - 08/06/2002 15:12 Re: Dension DMP3 [Re: AnGeL666]
kingtj
new poster

Loc: St. Louis, MO (USA)
Actually, I'm in the process of opening up a new online store to sell hard-to-find items for PCs and car stereo. I have been in contact with Dension about the possibility of becoming an authorized product reseller. (I own a Rio MP3 Car myself, and it's unquestionably superior to any of these other devices -- but even off eBay, I had to pay over $650 just to get my hands on a new 20GB model. Ouch!)

The reason I think the Dension DMP3 has a lot of promise is the low cost. Everyone seems to know about the Neo MP3 player, but not the Dension. (Even Best Buy is selling the Neo for $399.95 now!) I can't see any differences between the two products, except the Dension doesn't yet offer a USB model - and the Dension comes in considerably cheaper. (Not to mention, they offer it in several case styles, which is a nice touch.)

Also, the Rio fitting in the dash isn't really *quite* all it's cracked up to be. Since it's designed around the now obsolete "pull-out stereo" concept, many newer vehicles really don't provide a good way to mount the cage for it. I had to completely butcher up things in my 1997 Toyota Supra to get my Rio MP3 Car mounted securely -- and I'll have to buy a replacement dash trim piece if I ever pull it back out of the car.

I can see where for most people, it's just as good (or better) to mount the player in the trunk or under a seat, and just affix the remote display someplace convenient.

#89944 - 08/06/2002 17:49 Re: Dension DMP3 [Re: kingtj]
DeadFire
addict

If you paid $650 for a 20GB, consider yourself lucky. I won't even tell you how much luckier than you I am. A friend of mine was on a waiting list for these things before the tuners were even ready for the Mark IIs. He paid a whole lot more than you or I for the 2 he bought, and he's so busy he still hasn't had a chance to install them.

As for the Dension or the Neo - I came very close to getting a Neo, just before the final price drop on SONICblue's site. And I'm glad I have an empeg. With all the learning I have been doing about car stereo setups and other things, I realized that have a 3.5" based model is just not worth it. Especially in my case.

I drive a Honda Civic in an area with rather badly maintained roads. My CD player skips all the time. I can't wait to have my empeg installed. And just for the helluvit, I'm getting a good portable CD player for it's AUX, in case I have a CD I want to listen to that I haven't ripped and encoded yet.

#89945 - 21/08/2002 23:00 Re: Dension DMP3 [Re: AnGeL666]
docrings
new poster

Loc: San Diego
A used RIO is better than a new Dension. I own a RIO and am looking into the Dension because Dension offers a CD-changer interface so I can install into my Lexus (which doesn't have an AUX input like my Pioneer headunit installed in my Honda Accord.)
IMHO, find a used RIO and get it and hold on to it, upgrade the software to the beta (stable and much better), and upgrade to more capacity if it's only 10GB. The MP3 tag search, visuals, and ethernet connectivity make it a stable unit with fast downloads. The thing is made very well, and it never skips with the laptop drive (not like a 3.5"). It doesn't overheat like the Dension unit has a problem doing.
The Dension does offer only a few advantages, but not enough to outweigh the Ferrari of MP3 players: RIO Carplayer!

#89946 - 29/08/2002 09:42 Re: Dension DMP3 [Re: AnGeL666]
samp
new poster

I saw this at a trade show....very ugly. The buttons were awful. If they would just change the casing around, it would be a great product for the price. But as of now, it looks CHEAP.

#89947 - 10/09/2002 07:12 Re: Dension DMP3 [Re: kingtj]
lopan
old hand

Loc: Manassas VA
In reply to:

Also, the Rio fitting in the dash isn't really *quite* all it's cracked up to be. Since it's designed around the now obsolete "pull-out stereo" concept, many newer vehicles really don't provide a good way to mount the cage for it. I had to completely butcher up things in my 1997 Toyota Supra to get my Rio MP3 Car mounted securely -- and I'll have to buy a replacement dash trim piece if I ever pull it back out of the car.

I've installed my rio into both a 99 Audi A4 and a 2002 Acura RSX both where extremely easy with aftermarket install kits, so I can't say I really agree with you there, when I owned a neo (that now occupies a junk drawer in my basement) I had to make a really stupid looking trim piece to get the remote lcd in a decent place. Another thing about the full size HD players like neo and Denison is good luck getting them into your dash because most dashes are much to shallow to accomodate the length so I have to say the alternative really isn't any better.

Also although the pullout concept is old, I don't agree that it's outdated being that it's still possibly the best option for theft protection on the planet.

#89948 - 27/09/2002 11:13 Re: Dension DMP3 [Re: AnGeL666]
bbowman
enthusiast

Loc: Virginia, USA
I've noticed a trend in the empeg sales on ebay - they are getting cheaper. A couple have gone for the $500 range recently. I'm tempted to get a backup for that price if this trend continues.

As an afterthought,
It would be cool if the trend would start going towards the $2000 range - maybe then Rio would consider reawakening the line. Naaaa.....

Still looking for a good way to install in a 2010 BMW 3 series with iDrive/NAV