Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#9162 - 07/06/2000 23:40 Even more tricks with wireless ethernet
steveb
journeyman

Loc: Sugar Land, Texas, USA
I your car is parked near your network and it is broken into the empeg (with appropriate software and external interface board) could send a message to your PC. The PC could then do some of the following:

email you
fax you
yell at you (through the sound card)
call you
page you
call the police
use X10 to:
blink some lights (inside and/or outside the house)
turn on the lawn sprinkler system
turn on (or off) the TV to get your attention
make coffee

OK I'm sure you get the idea. Car alarm sends message to PC who in turn reacts in some amazing and spectacular way to help you save the car (and empeg), or at least run out and yell at the kids who set it off by accident while playing ball in the street.

Later,

Steve

#9163 - 18/06/2000 17:48 Re: Even more tricks with wireless ethernet [Re: steveb]
Dredd
enthusiast

Loc: Bay Area, California
Or even "If I lose contact with the Empeg and wasn't EXPECTING to lose contact with the empeg, then I'll alert in specified manner... so even if the alarm is circumvented, if they (a) remove the stereo, or (b) drive away with the car, then you get notified.

You could also do "If the empeg powers up without me expecting it" (e.g., the criminals started the car) so you can get a head start catching them before they're "out of range".

D

#9164 - 19/06/2000 10:12 Re: Even more tricks with wireless ethernet [Re: Dredd]
Kureg

In reply to:

You could also do "If the empeg powers up without me expecting it" (e.g., the criminals started the car) so you can get a head start catching them before they're "out of range".

That, and with some of the other computer control related projects, you can implement a device to allow you to shut off your car from your computer (assuming you are still in range)... or have some other form of override :)

Driver ejection seat?

Kureg

#9165 - 19/06/2000 12:49 Re: Even more tricks with wireless ethernet [Re: Kureg]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
I planned on throwing in a .mp3 in a computerized voice that says something along the lines of:

"Security system activated, please place fingers on steering wheel for identification. Scanning. You are not authorized to drive this vehicle, dialing modem (modem noises) - Successful, activating GPS - Successful, alerting Police - Successful. Police will arrive within one minute."

on bootup :)

#9166 - 19/06/2000 13:29 Re: Even more tricks with wireless ethernet [Re: Tim]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
"Police will arrive within one minute."

You couldn't use that approach in the UK, nobody would believe it for a moment!

Rob

#9167 - 20/06/2000 04:41 Re: Even more tricks with wireless ethernet [Re: rob]
ccrobin
stranger

Loc: Minnesota, USA
"Security system activated, please place fingers on steering wheel for identification. Scanning. You are not authorized to drive this vehicle, dialing modem (modem noises) - Successful, activating GPS - Successful, alerting Police - Successful. Police will arrive after afternoon tea."

I'm afraid that wouldn't be much of a deterrent.

Live in US and Wanna sell your MKI? E-mail me. :)

#9168 - 27/06/2000 22:16 Re: Even more tricks with wireless ethernet [Re: Kureg]
steveb
journeyman

Loc: Sugar Land, Texas, USA
I love the ejection seat idea. Now all I need is a volunteer for the testing . . .

Steve

#9169 - 30/08/2000 07:09 Re: Even more tricks with wireless ethernet [Re: steveb]
Bill Walker
journeyman

Loc: NZ
I know it's been discussed on here before and I'm being lazy in not looking for it, but on the standard production image (RC1) how do I set the empeg to play an MP3 on boot

-------------
Empeg MK II Owner SN: 118
(Owner of too Many Toys, and a large Debt)