Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#94279 - 16/05/2002 22:43 Screen not working
amthar
stranger

Loc: North Carolina
Ok I posted a few weeks about about a problem I was having. I seem to have a better idea of what is going on...

The empeg boots and will even start playing whatever song I was previously listening to. The problem is, NOTHING shows up on the screen. It does this in the car or when plugged into AC. I'm going to open her up and see if something can loose, but I'm scared that I'm going to find everything to be in order. Anyone with any ideas?

- Super Scared in NC

#94280 - 16/05/2002 23:11 Re: Screen not working [Re: amthar]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
If it's still under waranty, don't open it up until you've contacted support. If you open a unit without their permission all bets are off as to the waranty.

Matthew

#94281 - 17/05/2002 06:02 Re: Screen not working [Re: amthar]
smu
old hand

Loc: Germany (Ruhrgebiet)
Hi.

Don't break any warranty seal until you got an "open it to check cable connections" mail back from support.
What you could do though is the following:
Since the screen filter is user-replacable, you could take of the fascia and check if you can see anything broken on the front of the display board.
The most likely cause for a completely dark (turned off) display seems to be a drop to the floor with the gas fill nipple breaking of the VF display. Either that or (if you didn't let your empeg drop) a blown fuse.

Also, if you have one of the later MkII(a)s with the warranty seals on the drive tray instead of the top lid, you could also remove the top lid carefully and check if you can see anything broken there. But I do not recommend this.

cu,
sven

#94282 - 17/05/2002 09:50 Re: Screen not working [Re: amthar]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Contact David at [email protected] . Your player may need to be sent in for repair.

#94283 - 17/05/2002 21:54 Re: Screen not working [Re: tfabris]
amthar
stranger

Loc: North Carolina
well the seal is already broken per the hard drive cable that had to be replaced a couple months ago. It wasn't dropped unless someone dropped it without my knowledge, in which case someone will die if I find out.