Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#58554 - 13/01/2002 22:37 Big PC hard-drive question.
kojak71
journeyman

I wouldn't have believed it, but I've manage to somehow use up all my HD space, 4x60Gb & 1x45Gb IBM, sitting on highpoint and promise controllers (DVD and CD-RW are on the mobo's IDE controller). My ideal setup was:

1st drive OS partitions
2nd drive Games (shares channel with 3rd drive)
3rd drive WAV (shares channel with 2nd drive)
4th drive Files, docs, MP3, etc
5th drive swap file and backup of OS partitions

However I've now got into MP3 in a big way (blame my purchase on the eMpeg car player), and given how often changes are made to MP3 encoding technology, I now keep archival WAV files which presently takes up 3x60Gb drives with my current CD collection. So obviously I had to jiggle things about in my setup. It looks like I'll need to buy a hard-drive or two to get it back to way I like it, and to complicate things I anticipate that I'll be getting into AV in the next few months (so I'll need to get firewire card soon). So my options are:

1) Buy a couple of 120Gb, thus staying within current IDE limitations
2) Buy a Maxtor 180Gb or 2 inc. of promise controller
3) External solution, i.e. firewire/USB2/hot-swappable
4) Something I haven't thought of

r.e.
1) Simple solution, current rig has the space/juice to do that, however without adding another controller card I would have to make certain drives share an IDE channel. I can't afford to have 3 PCI slots taken up with controller cards. Question: Can the adaptec 2400A card just be used as just a plain dumb IDE controller card controlling 4 seperate drives, or does it have to be used in a RAID setup?
2) As above I'm loathe to have to add another controller card (hmmm maybe I can replace one of mine with the new promise and live with just sharing a couple of channels amongst the least intensively accessed drives).
3) I've seen a firewire breakout box which can house either a hard-drive/DVD/CD-RW IDE unit, and it houses a psu/fan/firewire socketry. Presumably it shouldn't have a hard-drive capacity limitation. I like this solution because at least when/if the need arises you can just plonk in a larger hard-drive at a later date. However I have no experience how effective such a solution would be.
4) ...............

There just seems to be too many choices so I'm just seeking advice as to the pros/cons, plus anything I've overlooked.

#58555 - 13/01/2002 23:43 Re: Big PC hard-drive question. [Re: kojak71]
monkeyboy
new poster

I too have been looking for a similar solutions. I was thinking about getting something like this: http://www.ubid.com/actn/opn/getpage.asp?AuctionId=6495561
Quantum Snap Server. This way all of the data on it could be available to any computer on my network. This would be very nice for sharing mp3's to my AudioTron network mp3 player. Currently my main computer has to be on to use it.

Even thought this particular one only has 120GB, it consist of 4 30 GB ide drives. I read somewhere (I can't find it now), that you can easily replace the drives with larger drives. If you did 4x120, you should be set for a while.

#58556 - 14/01/2002 00:17 Re: Big PC hard-drive question. [Re: kojak71]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
How about a DVD-R drive? 4.7GB at about $5 a disc. Not too bad, pricewise, and eminently swappable. Or you could go with a FireWire/USB/other swappable hard drive solution where you could swap the physical drive out of the connecting box and have hard drives lying around as removable media. Or, since both FireWire and USB support many devices, you could just keep adding new drives to your system when you run out of space, only using the one controller that you probably already have.

#58557 - 14/01/2002 01:04 Re: Big PC hard-drive question. [Re: wfaulk]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
don't those hold like 9 gig or is it just 4.7 a side and the 9 gig ones are two sided ?

Matt

#58558 - 14/01/2002 01:27 Re: Big PC hard-drive question. [Re: msaeger]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

The only DVD-R drives (or media) I've seen are 4.7 GB. They definitely only write on one side, so it might be possible that there are discs you could flip over (hmmm... flashbacks to Apple ][s and hole punchers....), but I've never seen any. The DVD standard allows for dual-layer discs that actually have two recording surfaces on each side of equal capacity, making a total of about 9GB (about 17GB if you take both sides into consideration), but no current consumer-level DVD-R drive (or media) supports dual-layer. Almost all (if not all) commerical DVDs (movies, that is) are recorded dual-layer, so the drives can read them, just not write them.

#58559 - 14/01/2002 01:40 Re: Big PC hard-drive question. [Re: msaeger]
kojak71
journeyman

It's 4.7 a side, some burners can do both which is 9.4.

I think I quite like the sound of this. However the main concerns are cost, 160Gb worth of discs (at £15-20 per disc) would cost close to £600 + £600 (cost of the drive). Ouch! Price aside the other thing is I tend to just drag and drop all my wav's onto lame to batch encode them (fyi this takes 3-4 days), and leave the PC to do it's thing. With 4.7Gb per disc, I would have to make frequent visits every so often to keep on feeding the encoder.

Edited by kojak71 (14/01/2002 02:05)

#58560 - 14/01/2002 02:19 Re: Big PC hard-drive question. [Re: kojak71]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Apple is selling packs of 5 DVD-R discs for $25US, whichs works out to about £3.50 each. And the drives are listed (realistically) for as low as $300 (£210) on pricewatch.com. Now, I'm not familiar with getting computer stuff in the UK, but surely it can't be that much more expensive.

#58561 - 14/01/2002 04:14 Re: Big PC hard-drive question. [Re: wfaulk]
kojak71
journeyman

The cheapest DVD recordable drive is £400, and the cheapest media is £14 in the uk (Dabs.com), but they are neither of the same format. It really is that expensive over here. They don't call us ripp-off Britain for nothing.

#58562 - 14/01/2002 04:34 Re: Big PC hard-drive question. [Re: kojak71]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
You could try using a lossless encoder, such as FLAC. That'll save you a bundle of space.

#58563 - 14/01/2002 04:57 Re: Big PC hard-drive question. [Re: Roger]
kojak71
journeyman

Thanks Roger, but that really doesn't address my requirement, and that's a repository of archive WAV files, which can then be used to encode into whatever format I choose (FLAC, MP3, MP3pro, WMA, ATRAC, etc)

#58564 - 14/01/2002 05:18 Re: Big PC hard-drive question. [Re: kojak71]
Roger
carpal tunnel

I suppose so. It's just something I was personally considering for archiving my music. I suggested it because it's lossless, but still uses less space. If you want to keep the original WAV files, then it's not a lot of use...

#58565 - 14/01/2002 05:18 Re: Big PC hard-drive question. [Re: kojak71]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Personally, if I ran out of disk space, I'd just add another computer...

#58566 - 14/01/2002 06:58 Re: Big PC hard-drive question. [Re: Roger]
JoshMKiV
journeyman

If you have the cash, buy NAS (not SAN, but NAS) boxes. Not that much $$$. Add to your network. Otherwise, build a cheap fileserver to put on your network, and utilize whatever drive gives best $$$ per MB. Keep checking the bargain websites (www.techbargains.com, www.anandtech.com forums, etc).

#58567 - 14/01/2002 07:15 Re: Big PC hard-drive question. [Re: JoshMKiV]
kojak71
journeyman

Josh, you lost me there. This falls into the option 4. bracket.

I found out who the company is that makes the drive enclosures for Firewire and USB2 (pity they don't do one which has both connections
Firewire http://www.adstech.com/products/PYRO1394DriveKit/specifications/PYRODriveKitProdSpec.asp?pid=API-800
USB2 http://www.adstech.com/products/USB_2_Drivekit/intro/USB2DriveKit.asp?pid=USBSX-804

#58568 - 14/01/2002 07:31 Re: Big PC hard-drive question. [Re: kojak71]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
There is a thread in "Off Topic" for external drive solutions... it links to another thread too...

But there is a product by "Addonics" www.addonics.com that houses 3.5" or 2.5" drives and allows you to connect via usb, usb2.0, firewire, pcmcia, etc. All you have to do is swap the cable. Pretty cool.

#58569 - 14/01/2002 09:10 Re: Big PC hard-drive question. [Re: monkeyboy]
mafisto
journeyman

Loc: St. Paul, MN, USA
There's a good Snap hack page here.

It looks like a good solution, I may get a low capacity one and upgrade if they auction low enough...

#58570 - 14/01/2002 09:28 Re: Big PC hard-drive question. [Re: mafisto]
kojak71
journeyman

now that looks more like it.

#58571 - 14/01/2002 15:53 Re: Big PC hard-drive question. [Re: kojak71]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I think you're missing Roger's point slightly, in that FLAC is a lossless codec. That is, it can be used to regenerate the ``original'' WAV exactly, and it takes up much less space. There are also plugins for many audio playback utilities, like WinAMP. And there are other lossless codecs besides FLAC. Take a look at the http://flac.sourceforge.net/comparison.html]FLAC comparison page.

#58572 - 14/01/2002 17:28 Re: Big PC hard-drive question. [Re: wfaulk]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
how about all the track info like album, year, etc. if I back up the wav files the I would have to re-enter all the info would FLAC be any different in that respect ?

Matt

#58573 - 14/01/2002 18:17 Re: Big PC hard-drive question. [Re: wfaulk]
kojak71
journeyman

Sorry wfaulk, the point of this thread is concerned about the convenience of having the raw ingredients to hand before encoding. You say that you can use a FLAC file regenerate the original WAV file exactly. But that would be adding an extra 2 steps. I.e. to make an MP3 at some later date the abridged rites of passage of a mp3 files would be ripp, encoded to flac, regenerate to WAV, encode to mp3 (instead of just ripp & encode to mp3). It's simply not worth going to through all that hassle/time just for potentially halving the WAV file size, anyway I would have to a hard drive large enough to convert my FLAC files back to WAV so that I can encode them in the manner which I stated, so that brings me back to square one. So while it's an interesting proposition, the aggravation, time taken, and plain inconvenience really does rule it out as a practical solution.

#58574 - 14/01/2002 18:20 Re: Big PC hard-drive question. [Re: msaeger]
Roger
carpal tunnel

The reference FLAC decoder will skip over any ID3v2 or ID3v1 tags found. This is probably more useful than WAV files, since the defined tag format for WAV is actually quite restricted.

#58575 - 14/01/2002 18:31 Re: Big PC hard-drive question. [Re: kojak71]
Roger
carpal tunnel

anyway I would have to a hard drive large enough to convert my FLAC files back to WAV

the aggravation, time taken, and plain inconvenience really does rule it out as a practical solution.

You could do them in batches -- you'd need to if you moved the WAVs onto DVD. Automating the process wouldn't be that hard, anyway.

That's what shell scripts are for .

To summarise:

Anyway, you don't want to, so the solutions you need to look at involve more storage space. In your case, obvious solutions are:

• More hard disks. Complicated -- cases are only so large, and you'll need more disk controllers. Take a look at the 3ware ones while you're casting around, though.
  • Another computer, with the disks in it. This is probably my preferred solution.
  • NAS, like having another computer, but low-maintenance, supposedly.
  • Tape backup. Still relatively cost-effective for archival purposes. Looking less attractive by the day.
  • DVD-RAM or DVD-RW -- I don't know enough about this to comment sensibly.

The disadvantage of the first three is that there's no sensible backup strategy -- do you really want to rip all of those CDs again in the event of a disk failure? -- whereas the last two are their own backup strategy.

I raised the lossless encoder issue because it's something I've been looking at, and I thought it could be of help to you. It's certainly likely to help other people who are looking at archival solutions.

the point of this thread

Everyone knows that threads in this forum never stay on-topic. Jammy Dodgers anyone?

#58576 - 14/01/2002 18:36 Re: Big PC hard-drive question. [Re: kojak71]
danthep
enthusiast

Loc: new zealand
Um, instead of converting all your flac files to wav and then to mp3, why don't convert one flac to wav, then the wav to mp3, then delete the wav, and move onto the next file? That way instead of needing a spare180Gb, you only need an spare 10Mb to do the encoding.

I imagine converting flac to wav would be a very quick process, so it wouldn't slow down your batch processing much. You could quite easily pipe the wav data from the flac decoder to the lame encoder to do it all in one step too.

#58577 - 14/01/2002 18:41 Re: Big PC hard-drive question. [Re: Roger]
kojak71
journeyman

Thanks Roger,

From what I can gather, It seems that snapserver might be a solution like nas, but with in built backup as well (when using Raid1). Unfortunately it's not cheap, and even if I were to hack it, to accept larger drives, I still don't know whether or not it has a barrier limit of 137Gb.

#58578 - 14/01/2002 19:42 Re: Big PC hard-drive question. [Re: kojak71]
kojak71
journeyman

My bad, I was quoting re-recordable disc prices. Write once media is priced at @ £5 a disc

#58579 - 14/01/2002 20:45 Re: Big PC hard-drive question. [Re: danthep]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

All the lossless codecs I've used are quite fast, both in compression and decompression, and I'm using a 333Mhz machine. In fact, I wouldn't even be saving intermediate files. Something like:
for i in `find . -name \*.flac -print`; do

flac -dc $i | lame -b128 -h - - > ${i%.flac}.mp3
done

#58580 - 14/01/2002 20:46 Re: Big PC hard-drive question. [Re: kojak71]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

You could buy a cheap PC and run Linux or a BSD or Solaris or something on it using a volume manager to make a RAID filesystem and share it using Samba or NFS.

BTW, NAS==Network Attached Storage, which just means a remote filesystem accessible over your normal data network, a la SMB or NFS or AppleShares (whatever they're called) or whatever. SAN==Storage Area Network, which is a network devoted solely to storage media, usually connected to multiple host machines. Definitely not a consumer project.

#58581 - 14/01/2002 20:48 Re: Big PC hard-drive question. [Re: wfaulk]
kojak71
journeyman

How long would it take to convert into FLAC and then reconvert into WAV files for say about 100Gb worth of WAV music files?

#58582 - 14/01/2002 21:07 Re: Big PC hard-drive question. [Re: kojak71]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Seriously, it takes seconds to do the transform either way on around four minute songs. Lemme grab some stats....

Hmmm. Seems to take longer than I remember. I compressed Pink Floyd's Money (6:22) in about 1 minute. It decompresses in about 30 seconds. I could swear that I got faster times before. It's still well faster than encoding mp3s, so as long as you do it via a pipe, it'll be just as fast. (Keep in mind I'm doing this on a P2 333.)

Regardless, unless you're listening to the WAV files on your home machine, FLAC will save you space, which is still pertinent to your quest for more drive space. And if you use WinAMP to listen to your WAVs, there's a plugin that works perfectly for FLAC.

#58583 - 14/01/2002 21:44 Re: Big PC hard-drive question. [Re: wfaulk]
kojak71
journeyman

Money.wav = 64.3Mb

That means a 100Gb worth of WAV files would take about 26 hours to compress, and a further 13hours to decompress it to WAV again. But you're right this is one way of reducing hard-drive requirements, but it doesn't deal with my particular requirements.

Although I wasn't planning in using the wav files as a listening source, I might consider using FLAC in conjunction with a Lacie pocketdrive as a possible mobile solution. Presumably there aren't any plans to incorporate FLAC support into the empeg? Mind you with ever increasing affordable hard-drive capacities, are we approaching the time when compression technologies will be just a footnote in history? Just imagine music files which don't need encoding, with endless debates about which encoder is best. Or DVD/Digital TV but without digital compression artifacts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >