Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#147523 - 07/03/2003 23:07 aborting a sync?
nikko

I added about 37 GB worth of music to my player this afternoon. I thought 7 hours would be plenty of time for this, cuz I'm using ethernet. Oops. I was wrong. It's barely half-way done. I need to use my computer for other things meanwhile, and I'm wondering if there is a (safe) way to abort the sync and start over some other time. Anyone know? I thought I might be able to do other things while it was uploading the music to the player, but my XP task manager says that I'm using 100% of my CPU power (which seems a little odd - I'm not running any other apps).

#147524 - 08/03/2003 01:47 Re: aborting a sync? [Re: nikko]
jarob10
enthusiast

Loc: Stockport, UK
XP task manager says that I'm using 100% of my CPU power

This is a bug in the latest software I believe. The workaround is to use JEmplode.

#147525 - 08/03/2003 06:50 Re: aborting a sync? [Re: jarob10]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
The workaround is to use JEmplode

There's no need for a workaround. emplode isn't actually using that CPU-time -it's essentially sitting in a wait-loop, but it's yielding immediately at the start of each slice. However, since it's the only thing ready it immediately gets scheduled again.

If you want to run something else, it'll get timesliced properly, and the other application will get almost all of the CPU available.

The only reason that it could be a problem is if you're using a laptop, and the CPU isn't getting a chance to sleep -- thus wasting battery.

Anyway, as pointed out, it was fixed recently, but (disk corruption) problems with the XP USB driver have prevented us from releasing it more widely. The USB driver has now been fixed, and another release should be forthcoming fairly shortly, I hope.

#147526 - 08/03/2003 08:15 Re: aborting a sync? [Re: Roger]
Yang
addict

Loc: Raleigh, NC
The USB driver has now been fixed, and another release should be forthcoming fairly shortly, I hope.

And there was much rejoicing..