Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#33786 - 02/07/2001 17:57 Uh oh...
davec
old hand

Loc: Georgetown, TX USA
So I got my empeg back today after getting it repaired from the 4 foot swan dive in the parking lot. Worked great at work under AC power. On the drive home, I go over the first speed bump in the parking lot and the display freaks out, all kinds of gibbersih characters, then nothing. No sound, just the pulsating of the power light. Pressing of the buttons produced nothing. When I got home I tried to connect to it via ethernet. Power-up on AC gives different gibberish and no IP address for the empeg.

I'm thinking it's the drive cable getting jarred loose. It's never happened before but I suspect either the shipping or service for the display repair is the source of the loose connection and the bump in the lot did the rest. I'll email support but was just wondering if this is reflective of what one sees in this case. I really hope I don't have to send it back across the pond again...

Dave Clark
Austin, Texas
12g Blue MK2
S/N 80000329

#33787 - 02/07/2001 19:09 Re: Uh oh... [Re: davec]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
I'm thinking it's the drive cable getting jarred loose. ... but was just wondering if this is reflective of what one sees in this case.

Not usually. In my experience with loose drive cables, when a drive cable becomes disconnected, the display operates normally, displays the bootup logo -- and there it stops because it can't go any further without information from the hard drive.

It will do this even with no hard drive in the system at all.

Now, perhaps a partially disconnected connector (that is, some pins connected, some not) might provide other symptoms. (I did find out that installing the connector on the hard drive offset one pin to the left will leave the empeg completely dead, as though a fuse had blown or something.)

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#33788 - 03/07/2001 01:55 Re: Uh oh... [Re: davec]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
This is not good, my only guess is that the display has somehow slipped its mountings and shorted on something - this really shouldn't happen :(

Apologies for all the hassle, please contact carsupport and I'll sort it out again.

Hugo