Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#172389 - 28/07/2003 14:25 serial problems in car
kswish0
enthusiast

Loc: Virginia, USA
Ok, so I got gps running last night and everything working in my house with the gps plugged directly into the empeg. Then I tried putting it in the car using a gender changer on the serial port on the back of the sled. It doesn't work like this. I know its not the baud rate because gpsapp automatically sets that for me right? So why does it work plugged directly into the empeg but not through the sled? Do I need a crossover connector of some kind? For right now im cheating by just running the plug from the gps through the hole in the back of the sled and plugging it in, then carefully stuffing the wire through the hole as i put the empeg in the sled. This is working fine like this but is a pain to deal with. Is there something I need in config.ini to let the empeg know it should be using the sled serial port or something like this?

#172390 - 28/07/2003 14:35 Re: serial problems in car [Re: kswish0]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
See if any of these issues are the problem.

#172391 - 28/07/2003 15:52 Re: serial problems in car [Re: tfabris]
kswish0
enthusiast

Loc: Virginia, USA
Well, with the gps plugged directly into the back of the empeg it works fine. So im guessing the problem is that the sled plug has pins 2 and 3 swapped. Instead of getting a new adapter or making one myself, would it be possible to just switch the connections on the docking connector itself? I know its possible to pull the little metal connectors out and put them back in. I even remember seeing a video about it on here somewhere (i think it was Mark Lord that made this?). Could I just swap the 2 wires on the connector? Would this work?

#172392 - 28/07/2003 15:59 Re: serial problems in car [Re: kswish0]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

im guessing the problem is that the sled plug has pins 2 and 3 swapped

Correct. That has been documented here a few times, although it's not the easiest thing to search for on the BBS. I think it's also buried deep in one of the FAQs too.

Swapping the pins at the sled should work, pins 8 & 9 IIRC.

#172393 - 28/07/2003 16:14 Re: serial problems in car [Re: kswish0]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yes, swapping the pins might work. You might also have to mess with the other wires as well in a similar way. Just because it works plugged directly into the player doesn't mean that swapping those two wires are the only problem. There might be other wire problems, re-read that FAQ entry about which wires could also cause trouble besides TX and RX.

The video you're looking for is here.