Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#255 - 30/07/1999 11:13 Newbie that is getting a new system
frebay
new poster

Hello,
I have just decided to scrap my stock system, and go for an tape/cd/mp3 player. The empeg system seems good, but I had some questions bothering me.

1. How is this unit powered, and where do you connect it? (i.e. to an existing unit, car lighter, battery etc.)

2. Does the harddrive and LCD go together?

3. Does this unit us a FM modulator, or can be connected directly to an AMP?

4. HOw clear is this unit? Does the tweeter get the high pitches, and the subs get the low thumps.

thanks to all that reply.

#256 - 30/07/1999 20:57 Re: Newbie that is getting a new system [Re: frebay]
Jake
stranger

Loc: MN, USA

Hello back,

The empeg unit will handle FM radio and mp3s. If you want a cd changer with the empeg deck you should/would get a FM modulated one.

1. The unit is powered by a wiring harness just like ant other deck that you choose to install. Other user have reported getting it to work with a tape adaptor and a cig. plug for power, but I don't think that is what empeg has in mind.

2. AFAIK it is one unit approx 7" wide X 6" deep x 2" (some one will correct me if I am wrong).

3. It has two pair (front/rear) of 4volt RCA jacks for output that are intended to go into an amp.

4. It should be VERY clear but that would depend on your mp3 quality, amp quality, speaker quality, and your definition of sound quality. Frequency seperation to speakers is the job for a crossover (or a good amp) be it in the speakers or and after market one.

This is as far as I can really explain with out re-reading empeg's website and going to my car-audio guru down at Mach1.

Jake

someone will probably come and correct me but oh well...

#257 - 31/07/1999 03:29 Re: Newbie that is getting a new system [Re: Jake]
mac
addict

Loc: Cambridge, UK
Jake wrote:
If you want a cd changer with the empeg deck you should/would get a FM modulated one.

I've never heard one of the FM modulated CD changers but the whole idea sounds a bit dodgy to me. FM Radio quality is below CD quality even before you factor in all the noise.

Of course you should never need a CD changer once you get your empeg-car :-) But, if you do still want one, the unit has auxillary input phono jacks for connecting such equipment.

1. The unit is powered by a wiring harness just like an[y] other deck that you choose to install. Other user have reported getting it to work with a tape adaptor and a cig. plug for power, but I don't think that is what empeg has in mind.

It certainly isn't what is intended but it did seem to work quite well. I'll get round to fitting an amp some time. :-)

someone will probably come and correct me but oh well...

Not corrections, just clarifications :-)

--
Mike Crowe
I may not be speaking on behalf of empeg above :-)

#258 - 31/07/1999 04:04 Re: Newbie that is getting a new system [Re: mac]
Jazzwire
addict

Loc: Guernsey
I've seen the FM modulated changers.
It's basically a wired remote and fm modulator that you connect to a normal changer.
I've got the modulator from a JVC one, and it sounded quite nice..
(I didn't get the full kit, just the modulator, as I needed it to connect my computer to a stereo that had no line in's.. =)

Also, if you put an antenna on the modulator, it can broadcast quite well. We used it for a party in my student house, with 6 stereos in various rooms playing mp3's from my computer.. =)

Jazz (List 112, Mk2 42 gig #40. Mk1 4 gig #30. Mk3 1.6 16v)

#259 - 31/07/1999 05:22 Re: Newbie that is getting a new system [Re: frebay]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
Hey Frebay,
Welcome to the addictive world of (strike fanfare) **CAR AUDIO**
I suggest that while your computer is busy ripping CDs to stick mp3s on the EMPEG when it arrives, run down to the newsagent and get a hold of whatever Car Audio mags you can. Car Audio and Electronics and Car Stereo Review are two American mags I pick up in Australia (yes we have cars and stereos and some of us even have car stereos! ;^)
Often they have intructions on 'how to install head units' ,' tips on wiring' etc.
Read up on as much as you can so that when the unit arrives you know how you'll install it. It will be hard work sometimes, but oh-so-cool!

You may also run across reviews on CD head units with auxiliary inputs and other features. determine what you can afford then see what you can get

best of luck

#260 - 31/07/1999 13:58 Re: Newbie that is getting a new system [Re: frebay]
dmoore
journeyman

Loc: Houston, Tx, Usa
It sounds that by the types of questions you are asking that you would be vastly better off by seeking out a professional to install your unit. Spend the few hundred dollars that it takes to have an AMP/SPEAKER/HEAD install done and get it done RIGHT. Can't afford installation? - then how in the hell can you afford the Empeg?

#261 - 02/08/1999 10:01 Re: Newbie that is getting a new system [Re: mac]
Jake
stranger

Loc: MN, USA
The problem with the empeg is that it cannot 'control' a changer (ie you can't change discs/tracks etc) nor is it likely to ever be able to. Because of that you can't DO anything when(if) it is connected to the empeg, further more, changers that have RCA outputs and a 'controller' are very, very rare. It is basically have a deck that can control a cd changer or go FM modulated.

Jake