Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#126047 - 14/11/2002 10:25 Any Aussie or Kiwi hikers here?
puckalicious

I am planning a trip next June or July possibly to Australia/New Zealand. Assuming this may be my ONLY trip down under (I'm from the US) in my life, I would like to hear opinions on places I MUST go hiking/backpacking. This will be a trip for 2 and I don't have any cold-weather gear so please take this into consideration. I realize that summer here is winter there but I'm confident there is some warmer weather climates to enjoy. I am an experienced hiker and can handle the more strenuous trails. Here are some brief requirements:

1. Mostly day hikes with possibly a 2 night extended hike
2. Warmer climates that stay above freezing at night
3. Spectacular views, preferably at least slightly mountainous
4. If possible areas with limited biting insects

Let the debate begin!

#126048 - 14/11/2002 22:31 Re: Any Aussie or Kiwi hikers here? [Re: puckalicious]
number6
old hand

Loc: In The Village or sometimes: A...
In reply to:

am planning a trip next June or July possibly to Australia/New Zealand. Assuming this may be my ONLY trip down under (I'm from the US) in my life, I would like to hear opinions on places I MUST go hiking/backpacking. This will be a trip for 2 and I don't have any cold-weather gear so please take this into consideration. I realize that summer here is winter there but I'm confident there is some warmer weather climates to enjoy. I am an experienced hiker and can handle the more strenuous trails. Here are some brief requirements:

1. Mostly day hikes with possibly a 2 night extended hike
2. Warmer climates that stay above freezing at night
3. Spectacular views, preferably at least slightly mountainous
4. If possible areas with limited biting insects

I'm no hiker (tramper) but from other folks who've done similar things:

I'd say you must do the Whole South Island of New Zealand, it has everything in your list at that time of year, EXCEPT point 2.

Yes, its winter in June/July, yes it gets cold, the mountains get snow on them and since most of the places you will be hiking to/from are in the mountains, ergo, you're gonna get cold overnight.

At sea level most of the place is above freezing all year round, BUT when you go higher (e.g. over a few thousand feet) then that rule no longer applies.

"Freezing zone" where snow never metls is about 4,000 feet in summer, and about 1/2 to 1/4 of that in winter.

Most of the roads you'll be driving on around the South Island will be affected with winter weather in some way - either snow, rain, hail or ice.
(or the whole lot).

In mid to late winter the sun rises about 8-8:30am and sets about 4:30 to 5pm depending on how far south you are, so you will only have about 8 or so hours of "daylight" per day to do your hiking in. And it gets dark quickly in winter.

I'd suggest you consider coming closer to our southern hemisphere summer for a more enjoyable experience.

[about now the weather is pretty stable and you get over 12 hours of daylight each day, and the "freezing level" is over 3000 feet.]