Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#140957 - 07/02/2003 04:31 RANT: 1000 AOL CDs a year? HP Class action?
Biscuitsjam
enthusiast

I was trying to add up how many AOL CDs I get in a year. At my residence, I get approximately one a week or 50 a year. My fraternity house has 20 people living there. In the 3 years I lived in the house, I received an AOL CD every week. I can only imagine that everybody else received the same. What [censored] moron decided it was a good idea to send 1000 (ONE THOUSAND) CDs to 1 (ONE) house?

Do they think that after receiving the 997th CD, we will suddenly change our minds? Oh wait, I really want AOL after all! In the three years I lived in the house, 3000 AOL CDs arrived in our mailbox. This is in addition to the fact that their CDs are in every store, every internet download site, and preinstalled on every computer. Is it any wonder they lost 99 billion last year?

And speaking of store-built computers, why would anybody buy a Hewlett Packard? I ended up being the computer repairman in our fraternity house. In the space of one week, all 3 Hewlett Packards had their hard drives fail. They were different makes and models from different batches. Since then, there have been 2 more hard drive failures; none of them were installed with fans. One had a power supply that was so weak it was not able to reliably boot up every time until I disconnected one of the CD drives. They put a 135 watt power supply in a pentium 1600. How much does it cost to buy a danged fan and a bigger power supply? Of course, they used a proprietary motherboard with its own power connector, so I couldn't replace it. Two of the HP computers are having their monitors fail now and both of these computers had to have their network cards replaced. Somehow, these computers have data corruption requiring Windows to be completely reinstalled every couple of months. Unfortunately, they don't even give a full Windows installation disk and if you want to call technical support, they want a cash payment.

My hands and forearms are covered with nasty scars from the sharp edges inside their computer cases. That is, of course, when I can puzzle out all the hidden latches. Is there a reason people still buy these clunkers?

-Biscuits

#140958 - 07/02/2003 04:46 Re: RANT: 1000 AOL CDs a year? HP Class action? [Re: Biscuitsjam]
Biscuitsjam
enthusiast

I know these things have been said a thousand times before, especially the AOL stuff, but it was annoying me.

Anybody here make the mistake of buying an HP computer? Last I checked, the only major manufacturer to make decent computers was Dell, but I've heard they've been cutting every cost they possibly can.

#140959 - 07/02/2003 04:51 Re: RANT: 1000 AOL CDs a year? HP Class action? [Re: Biscuitsjam]
tman
carpal tunnel

Dell? Make decent computers? Right...
If I need a desktop then I prefer to build it myself from parts I want. I've seen too many Dell machines which seemed to consist of the cheapest components out there possible which don't have any driver support in new versions of Windows because they're some random OEM board that nobody has ever heard of.
The preinstalled OS on them is usually terrible as well since the drive image was made to support the widest range of their hardware possible. I've always had bizarre crashes and problems with the factory installed OS which were fixed by doing a clean install.
If I was getting a laptop then I'd get a Toshiba or an IBM. Dell laptops have been fine with me but they just feel "cheap"
The new Dell's are kind of neat in that you can change most bits without a screwdriver but the case just feels too plasticky for my tastes still.

- Trevor

#140960 - 07/02/2003 05:09 Re: RANT: 1000 AOL CDs a year? HP Class action? [Re: tman]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England

The first company I worked for had a couple of Dells and they were the solidest things I've ever used. We ran every wonky beta of Chicago and NT4 on them and they never crashed except when bugs in the OS, or under Chicago bugs in userland, told them to. They were physically solid, too; we could lob them in the back of vans and take them to trade shows and they just worked. They were also Pentium 90s.

Today's Dells are just ordinary-quality PCs; the only reason you'd want to throw them in the river is their departure from standards -- the custom ATX power connector, for instance, or their insistence on cable-select for IDE. (Yes, cable-select is a standard, but it's a pretty non-standard standard.)

Peter

#140961 - 07/02/2003 05:13 Re: RANT: 1000 AOL CDs a year? HP Class action? [Re: tman]
Biscuitsjam
enthusiast

I build my own computers for myself and my close friends and family. That ends up being about a dozen a year. I really don't know who to recommend for everybody else. I do know that Packard Bell made the worst when they were still around. Now, Hewlett Packards are the worst out there.

-Biscuits

Edited by Biscuitsjam (07/02/2003 05:14)

#140962 - 07/02/2003 05:40 Re: RANT: 1000 AOL CDs a year? HP Class action? [Re: Biscuitsjam]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Is this the result of HP merging with Compaq?

#140963 - 07/02/2003 06:14 Re: RANT: 1000 AOL CDs a year? HP Class action? [Re: Biscuitsjam]
David
addict

Loc: Cambridge
Buy Apple. I've just bought a new PowerMac G4 and even though I've used macs with these cases for years, I'm still amazed at the quality of the internal and external case design.

#140964 - 07/02/2003 06:34 Re: RANT: 1000 AOL CDs a year? HP Class action? [Re: Biscuitsjam]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
i find an aol cd plus a microwave for a few seconds is very satisfying, i do wonder what percentage of cd's produced are aol ones

#140965 - 07/02/2003 06:40 Re: RANT: 1000 AOL CDs a year? HP Class action? [Re: thinfourth2]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
I find that three seconds on high maximizes the ZZZTTTT while minimizing the burned plastic stench. It is so very gratifying.

-Zeke

#140966 - 07/02/2003 06:43 Re: RANT: 1000 AOL CDs a year? HP Class action? [Re: Ezekiel]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Must put the shiny side up to get the lovely trapped lighting effect.

must try it in the dark some day

#140967 - 07/02/2003 08:32 Re: RANT: 1000 AOL CDs a year? HP Class action? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
revlmwest
addict

Loc: Hartsville, South Carolina for...
Drakino might be able to answer that, working for Compaq and all....

Edited by revlmwest (07/02/2003 08:32)

#140968 - 07/02/2003 10:00 Re: RANT: 1000 AOL CDs a year? HP Class action? [Re: Ezekiel]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
I find that three seconds on high maximizes the ZZZTTTT while minimizing the burned plastic stench.

So that's why it always stinks when I do 5 seconds. Silly me!

#140969 - 07/02/2003 12:26 Re: RANT: 1000 AOL CDs a year? HP Class action? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Is this the result of HP merging with Compaq?

No. HP Pavilions are still designed and made by the same people that made them pre merger. Compaq Presario on the other hand did see a nice change right before the merger. The old Presario team was let go in a round of layoffs, and the Deskpro team started working on all the consumer desktops. The change is easy to spot, the towers stopped shipping with color choices, and instead started looking like normal computers again.

As far as I know, the Compaq name will exist for desktops for a long time to come, to allow HP to have more shelf space at Best Buy and such.

#140970 - 07/02/2003 15:49 Re: RANT: 1000 AOL CDs a year? HP Class action? [Re: drakino]
AndrewT
old hand

Loc: Oxford, UK
the Deskpro team started working on all the consumer desktops

It's great news they decided to converge these products onto the same chassis, they are also doing the same on some notebook models as well.
The Presario mobo's are now designed by Compaq engineers too which is a welcome change. One I was looking at the other day had (paraphrasing a little here) "Designed by Compaq engineers in Houston, USA" silk screen printed on the topside - I sensed they took a lot of pride in having that on there and I wish them well!

the Compaq name will exist for desktops for a long time to come, to allow HP to have more shelf space at Best Buy and such

In addition, if HP dropped the Compaq brands (Evo, Presario, iPaq, Proliant etc.) then existing Compaq customers would perceive this as a change in supplier. The danger here is those customers would probably see this as a good time to put their business out for tender once again and HP would risk the chance of losing to Dell or IBM.

#140971 - 07/02/2003 20:38 Re: RANT: 1000 AOL CDs a year? HP Class action? [Re: tman]
DeadFire
addict

The way people keep saying that lately... makes me think I bought the last good Dell computer on earth. It's almost two years old now (a dinosaur! ), but it's plenty fast for me. It was pretty reliable when I got it, but I had plans for it anyway. I got rid of the factory installed OS and fetched all my drivers from the original manufacturers, and now I'm happy as a clam. It would be a hard thing for me to remember when it last crashed or gave me an error message of any consequence.

Of course, now it's running in a non-Dell case on a non-Dell power supply, so it's barely a Dell now. I plan to silence the thing and then start upgrading some hardware (sound, video, etc). My opinion is that 1GHz is plenty. Pretty much the only thing that would make me want a faster machine is if I started getting into encoding video for VCD or DVD, which is unlikely. Even if I do have a ReplayTV.

My sister's Dell, designed and ordered and maintained for her by me, also sees problems very rarely. But a friend of mine is planning on ordering a Dell very soon, so that may or may not change my opinion of them. We'll see what happens when the new one arrives, no?

#140972 - 07/02/2003 20:55 Re: RANT: 1000 AOL CDs a year? HP Class action? [Re: Biscuitsjam]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
In the 3 years I lived in the house, I received an AOL CD every week.

Wow. I've only ever received one of those things in my entire life! Hope I didn't jinx myself by saying that.

And speaking of store-built computers, why would anybody buy a Hewlett Packard?

Because they *do* actually make some good machines. I know that one of the owners of this studio in Toronto swears by them. Of course, those are the high end dual-proc machines tricked out for heavy FX and animation work. He swears that the HP graphics card and drivers are the ultimate in graphics performance (i.e. stability) for doing professional 3D graphics work on Linux systems.

#140973 - 07/02/2003 21:24 Re: RANT: 1000 AOL CDs a year? HP Class action? [Re: canuckInOR]
Biscuitsjam
enthusiast

I think the reason we get so many AOL CDs is because college residences have so many people live at one location. Not only that, college students don't care so much about which mailing lists they end up being signed up for, since somebody else is going to get the junk after a year anyway. AOL sends one CD to each person every so often. In a place that has had 25 people live in each room over 30 years.... and 20 rooms....

HP does seem to make some good high-end computers. Their desktops, on the other hand, have just been a big steaming pile of dung in my experience.

#140974 - 07/02/2003 23:09 Re: RANT: 1000 AOL CDs a year? HP Class action? [Re: David]
lockuplever
enthusiast

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Rookie question, can a mac communicate with a pc over a home network, or are they completely different animals. I have 3 computers on my network (1 HP and 2 Dells) and have been thinking about Apple.

#140975 - 08/02/2003 00:24 Re: RANT: 1000 AOL CDs a year? HP Class action? [Re: peter]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
I am still using my Gateway 2000 computer at home -- a 386 with 4 megs of RAM and Windows 3.0.

Of course, it has received a few upgrades in the last 11 years... new case, new motherboard, new processor, new RAM, new hard drive, new CD ROM, new power supply, new operating system, new sound card, new video card, new mouse, new monitor, new speakers, a few other odds and ends. Most of these items have been replaced/upgraded two or three times now. Currently it is at 2 GHz, 512 MB of RAM, 80 GB of hard drive, and 64 MB of RAM on the video card...

But it is still my original Gateway computer, because I am still using the original "Anykey" programmable keyboard, and the original floppy drive (one of those 3.5"/5.25" drives that fits in a single drive bay). I am still registered as a Gateway customer and even received some [useless] technical support on my keyboard a year or so ago.

I bet not too many people here are still using an 11 year old computer!

tanstaafl.

#140976 - 08/02/2003 00:49 Re: RANT: 1000 AOL CDs a year? HP Class action? [Re: tanstaafl.]
Biscuitsjam
enthusiast

At what point does it become a new computer? When you have removed the last original part? What if you split up the original parts into different computers or later reassemble them?

-Biscuits

#140977 - 08/02/2003 05:25 Re: RANT: 1000 AOL CDs a year? HP Class action? [Re: lockuplever]
V99

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Rookie question, can a mac communicate with a pc over a home network, or are they completely different animals. I have 3 computers on my network (1 HP and 2 Dells) and have been thinking about Apple.

Communication itself is TCP/IP just like anything else (Empegs, TiVos, unusually smart toasters).. Apple has their own file sharing protocol (AFP) but OS X is just as happy speaking in Microsoft's (SMB).

#140978 - 08/02/2003 11:24 Re: RANT: 1000 AOL CDs a year? HP Class action? [Re: tanstaafl.]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
received some technical support on my keyboard

ROFL!

Unfortunately, one of my roommates has a Gateway, and it's almost all propreitary. The case is one of those that si designed to be both a tower or a desktop, so it's made as thin as possible. Well, he might as well have bought a laptop, because this thing is not upgradeable at all. He got a new video card for Christmas two years ago and found that the case was too narrow to fit the video card in! How much does that suck?

I remember seeing a Packard Bell computer once, in for repairs. It was a weirdly shaped tower. Here is the basic shape of the bottom as you look at the front of the case:

The thing is, the motherboard lay flat on the bottom of the case where that line is. The two arrows are pointing at the location of the motherboard screws! So basically, if the motherboard is faulty of fried or you want to upgrade it, you might as well throw the machine out because you can't possibly get a screwdriver in there.

Attachments
139543-pb.gif (45 downloads)

#140979 - 08/02/2003 11:45 Re: RANT: 1000 AOL CDs a year? HP Class action? [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
What's that at the bottom? The oil plug?

Seriously, though, there's gotta be some way to get it out of there. It's not like the case was vacuum molded around the motherboard.

#140980 - 08/02/2003 12:05 Re: RANT: 1000 AOL CDs a year? HP Class action? [Re: wfaulk]
oliver
addict

half the time, i think that is the only way they could have gotten them together!

#140981 - 08/02/2003 12:38 Re: RANT: 1000 AOL CDs a year? HP Class action? [Re: wfaulk]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

As an engineer i know i can take anything to pieces just my success rate on reassembly is a wee bit lower

#140982 - 08/02/2003 13:00 Re: RANT: 1000 AOL CDs a year? HP Class action? [Re: thinfourth2]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Ah, yes. At school, we used to describe one form of fixing things as ``the engineer's solution'': whacking it with a hammer.

My favorite example of this is when one of our Apollo workstations would go kaflooey (technical term), the usual form of fixing them used by the technicians involved picking it up about a foot and dropping it back to the table. This worked surprisingly well.

#140983 - 08/02/2003 13:29 Re: RANT: 1000 AOL CDs a year? HP Class action? [Re: wfaulk]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
In reply to:

the usual form of fixing them used by the technicians involved picking it up about a foot and dropping it back to the table.

You sure that wasn't an Apple III? Quote from http://fp3.antelecom.net/gcifu/applemuseum/3.html

From what I have read, the original Apple III (or Apple /// as it was written) ran so hot that it's board would expand and unseat the chips from their sockets. At one time the recommended fix for an Apple III that was acting up was to drop it about 2 inches onto a hard surface to reseat the chips!

#140984 - 08/02/2003 13:32 Re: RANT: 1000 AOL CDs a year? HP Class action? [Re: AndrewT]
drakino
carpal tunnel

In addition, if HP dropped the Compaq brands (Evo, Presario, iPaq, Proliant etc.) then existing Compaq customers would perceive this as a change in supplier. The danger here is those customers would probably see this as a good time to put their business out for tender once again and HP would risk the chance of losing to Dell or IBM.

HP did drop the Compaq name from anything outside the desktop and notebook market. Every new Proliant in our lab now says HP, the drivers say HP, the SmartStart CD says HP, and the top of the new iPaq 19xx and 5xxx series says HP. So far, it hasn't had a noticible drop in sales, and actually Proliant sales are up now as the old Netserver customers move over to the Proliant line. Even the new EV7 Alphas say HP.

#140985 - 08/02/2003 14:03 Re: RANT: 1000 AOL CDs a year? HP Class action? [Re: drakino]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Even the new EV7 Alphas say HP.
Heh. Who would have thought, 25 years ago, that HP and DEC would be the same company? Pretty funny stuff. Of course that now means that HP is supporting how many platforms? x86, Alpha, PA-RISC, Itanium, VAX -- any others?

Still, I think he was referring to the model names -- Evo, Presario, etc. -- and not the Compaq name.

#140986 - 08/02/2003 17:44 Re: RANT: 1000 AOL CDs a year? HP Class action? [Re: wfaulk]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

If we have problems with something electronic we apply the following rules

Rule1 Is it a big problem if not ignore problem

Rule 2 Switch it off count to 30 switch it back on If no fix see rule 1 again if rule 1 fails see rule 3

Rule 3 Have we got a new card if yes put new card in if not scream shout and get a technician

If all of above fails switch to handymatic

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >