Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#363194 - 01/01/2015 18:50 Increasing the number of simultaneous downloads past 6 in chrome
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Any ideas on this one? Googling keeps giving me the same answer and I already tried it and it didn't work.

Problem:

- I go to http://www.rifftrax.com and buy a large number of short films in one go because they're having a special (for example, today, you put in "NEWYEARS" to get a discount).

- After checkout I have a single screen with links to all my downloads.

- I click on each one, but only the first six clicks actually start downloading. Past 6 the behavior gets unpredictable. For instance, the seventh click will register, but it won't actually begin downloading. Only after the first click has completed its download will the seventh click actually begin downloading. Past 7, the behavior gets increasingly unpredictable and I don't know which clicks registered and which ones didn't.

- I have already done the google search for this, and the results all say increase the registry entries "MaxConnectionsPerServer" and "MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server".

- I have already done this long ago, and it doesn't help Chrome to actually respond to those seventh, eighth, and later clicks.

- How to get Chrome to work for the thing I want? I want to download all 20-or-so shorts that I bought. I want to do them all at once so I don't have to remember which ones I clicked and which ones I didn't. I want to click on all of them and then walk away. Ideally I want to do this without using a third party downloading tool.

#363195 - 01/01/2015 18:59 Re: Increasing the number of simultaneous downloads past 6 in chrome [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

To clarify: When I go to the "Show All Downloads" screen in Chrome, it shows a maximum of six at any time. If I clicked on all 20, I want it to show all 20, so I know which ones successfully registered clicks.

#363196 - 01/01/2015 19:29 Re: Increasing the number of simultaneous downloads past 6 in chrome [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Most of the time, it will register the seventh click (which will begin downloading only after one of the prior six is done downloading) but not the eighth click.

So if I click to download a bunch of files (more than seven), I'm never quite sure which ones registered and which ones didn't, making management of the downloads a chore because I have to cross-check the lists.

#363200 - 01/01/2015 22:50 Re: Increasing the number of simultaneous downloads past 6 in chrome [Re: tfabris]
Shonky
pooh-bah

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
I think a download manager is your only option. Firefox can do more but limited to 15 from my Googling.

From my testing just now it seems 6 is fine and the 7th sits there queued and will start when one of the first 6 finishes. There was a bug report that this should be better reported I found just now.

Really you should not be hitting a web server with more than 2 connections at once to be compliant but most browsers ignore that....
#40104192 120Gb (no longer in my E36 M3, won't fit the E46 M3)

#363206 - 02/01/2015 19:17 Re: Increasing the number of simultaneous downloads past 6 in chrome [Re: tfabris]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

I suppose the cheesy answer is to cut-and-paste all the download URLs and make a shell script that runs wget or curl on them all at once. That's probably exacerbated by the need to have all the right authentication cookies.

#363212 - 03/01/2015 03:26 Re: Increasing the number of simultaneous downloads past 6 in chrome [Re: DWallach]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: DWallach
I suppose the cheesy answer is to cut-and-paste all the download URLs and make a shell script that runs wget or curl on them all at once. That's probably exacerbated by the need to have all the right authentication cookies.

You've just described a download manager. smile

#363244 - 05/01/2015 20:51 Re: Increasing the number of simultaneous downloads past 6 in chrome [Re: Shonky]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Shonky
I think a download manager is your only option.

Does anyone have a recommendation of a good one for Chrome?

I just tried a couple of download manager extensions for Chrome. The first one I tried had a lower limit (5) than Chrome itself. The second one I tried did exactly the same thing that Chrome did: Crapped out after the sixth click.

#363245 - 05/01/2015 21:06 Re: Increasing the number of simultaneous downloads past 6 in chrome [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Yeah, there's only three download managers for Chrome and none of them work for this.

It gave me an idea for a good work-around, though: Use either IE, or the IETab extension for Chrome, and then it will obey the download limits that I set in the registry with "MaxConnectionsPerServer" and "MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server".

So, in IE, it works. I can always hop over to IE or use an IETab to do this.

#363246 - 05/01/2015 22:56 Re: Increasing the number of simultaneous downloads past 6 in chrome [Re: tfabris]
Shonky
pooh-bah

Well I did think of that but thought you'd be anti IE. Yes that would work.

As for the download manager, it shouldn't matter if only 5 at a time run as long as it can queue up more which I'm sure it could. Downloading 20 things at once can be counter productive if the connection drops for example. I'd rather download 1 file at a time with multiple connections.

A long time ago I used Getright. Not sure if it's still any good or even around. Now I use Free Download Manager. There's a portable version too if you don't want to clutter up your PC too much (I'm big on portable apps these days). It can catch downloads directly from Chrome too if you want.

#363247 - 06/01/2015 00:03 Re: Increasing the number of simultaneous downloads past 6 in chrome [Re: Shonky]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Shonky
Well I did think of that but thought you'd be anti IE. Yes that would work.

Generally I'm anti-IE but I'm already used to having to use it occasionally for work-arounds and for the Sharepoint server at work.

Quote:
As for the download manager, it shouldn't matter if only 5 at a time run as long as it can queue up more which I'm sure it could.

None of the ones I tried for Chrome would.

Quote:
A long time ago I used Getright. Not sure if it's still any good or even around.

Me too!

Quote:
Now I use Free Download Manager. There's a portable version too if you don't want to clutter up your PC too much (I'm big on portable apps these days). It can catch downloads directly from Chrome too if you want.

Thanks, I'll look that one up!

#363248 - 06/01/2015 00:08 Re: Increasing the number of simultaneous downloads past 6 in chrome [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Do you mean this one?

http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/

Don't immediately see a link to a portable version. Just an EXE install. But it says that Portable is an available feature. I'll poke at it.

#363257 - 06/01/2015 22:07 Re: Increasing the number of simultaneous downloads past 6 in chrome [Re: tfabris]
Shonky
pooh-bah

Originally Posted By: tfabris
Do you mean this one?

http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/

Don't immediately see a link to a portable version. Just an EXE install. But it says that Portable is an available feature. I'll poke at it.

Yeah that's it. I run it from http://portableapps.com/ so don't directly install it. I think when you install it, it just gives you an option for a portable installation.