Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#368732 - 24/04/2017 19:54 Odd Linux (RH) Install Disc Issue
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
In one of my labs, I have a pair of desktops (identical to each other) and laptops (identical to each other). For a variety of reasons, I need to install RH Workstation 6.8 on each.

When trying to boot the Installation DVD on the desktops, the boot menu only provides the Legacy option for the optical drive. Then, almost immediately, I get the Failure to Boot error message.

So I tried the Live CD option. That boot menu gave me both the UEFI and Legacy boot options for the optical drive. Choosing Legacy worked fine (UEFI had a graphs problem). However, during the 'verify install disks' part, I decided to try the Installation DVD and it complained it couldn't find the disk image.

Same thing happened on the second desktop.

However, on the laptops, the Installation DVD worked fine and gave both the UEFI and Legacy options. The Installation DVD even verified without an issue (which isn't surprising, I verified the sha256 checksum on the ISO after the first sign of problems). They are now happily running RH 6.8.

Since I can get it installed on the laptops, I should be able to NFS install on the desktops. So that problem is averted.

However, in another one of my labs, networks are not permitted (and no laptops, etc). So if the Installation DVD fails in there, I don't have a workaround.

Does anybody know what could cause that problem and how to prevent it?

#368734 - 24/04/2017 22:44 Re: Odd Linux (RH) Install Disc Issue [Re: Tim]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
BIOS settings? Disable "Secure Boot".

#368736 - 25/04/2017 05:12 Re: Odd Linux (RH) Install Disc Issue [Re: Tim]
Shonky
pooh-bah

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Yeah turn off UEFI and/or secure boot.

Or what about a USB install? It's not likely to fix issue with UEFI etc but you never know.
#40104192 120Gb (no longer in my E36 M3, won't fit the E46 M3)