Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#206637 - 24/02/2004 13:46 Empeg's and the Dealership
russmeister
enthusiast

Loc: South Carolina
[rant]
So I have to take my Ford Ranger (1994, 215,000 miles) in to have the lights in the dashboard replaced. I had a few go out a year or so ago and the last one went out last week. I attempted to take the lights out myself but the speedometer had to be removed and I didn't want to hose that.

So I decide to let the dealership do it. The first thing I tell them when I walked in the door is "be very careful with this sled. It's very delicate and it doesn't like to be bothered. The connectors in the back can come out very easily and the sled cannot be bent the slightest bit." The service manager makes a note and tells me he'll give me a call when it's done. Might I add how much I really stressed that the sled was not to be damaged.

Fast forward to lunchtime today.... I go pick up my truck, pay my bill, and upon entering the truck the first thing I check is the sled. And what do I find? A sled bent outta shape. That's right. They hadn't bent the tabs back and ALL FOUR sides were bowed in!!!! After deeply expressing concern for the sled before they took the dash apart, how could this happen, especially to the extent that it happened? ARRRGGHHH!

So I calmly, yes calmly, walk back in and talk to the service manager and inform him of my findings. What was his response?

"The service technician that worked on your truck is out to lunch so I'll have him look at it when he returns."
He asks me if I'll leave the "stereo" there so they can make sure it fits. I informed him that it was rather expensive (I actually told him it was worth about $1000 and to me, it is worht that) and he graciously told me to bring it back with me later.

Now here I am waiting on a phone call so I can pick up my truck with a "repaired" sled. Makes me wish I would have taken the whole darn thing out before taking it to the shop.
[/rant]

#206638 - 24/02/2004 13:54 Re: Empeg's and the Dealership [Re: russmeister]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
If they were that uncareful of the things you can see, it makes you wonder how careful they are of the things you can't, even the ones that are supposed to be in the car.

#206639 - 24/02/2004 14:36 Re: Empeg's and the Dealership [Re: russmeister]
siberia37
old hand

Loc: Tacoma,WA
Sounds a lot like my ford dealership- the customer service people don't talk to the mechanics and they don't let the customer talk to the mechanic. If you try to ask a technical question about your car they just shrug and don't even offer to let you talk to someone who might know. Gives you the feeling the whole place is run by idiots.. and probably it is.

#206640 - 24/02/2004 14:42 Re: Empeg's and the Dealership [Re: russmeister]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

Your letting them repair your sled?? I'm not sure I'd give them a second chance at it.

#206641 - 24/02/2004 14:46 Re: Empeg's and the Dealership [Re: siberia37]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Sounds a lot like my ford dealership
Hmm, I found my Ford mechanics to be well trained and very communicative with the people up front. Never had those type of problems. But I stopped going to the dealer after my warranty period expired, since the dealer prices are just so far out of scale with what you can get from other places. I found a gas station near work that has given me about the same good level of service for significantly less cost. I would trust both my old Ford dealer and my new guys with my empeg sled, if need be.

#206642 - 24/02/2004 14:46 Re: Empeg's and the Dealership [Re: russmeister]
Cybjorg
addict

Loc: Winston Salem, NC
You might consider demanding that they pay for the purchase of a new sled.

#206643 - 24/02/2004 14:59 Re: Empeg's and the Dealership [Re: Cybjorg]
russmeister
enthusiast

Loc: South Carolina
You might consider demanding that they pay for the purchase of a new sled.

I will if it isn't in the same condition that it was when I took it this morning.

Phillip: I'm only letting them repair the sled so they can have a chance before they have to pay for it.

The mechanic is the one that actually call me back just a few minutes ago and told me that it was ready. He said he'll "help me put the stereo in" when I get there and we can look at it together.

We'll see...

EDIT: I picked it up and it seems to be back in the condition that I left it minus a little paint on the front rim, which I can deal with. I don't know what the did to straighten it but it fits like a glove once again. I also checked my head unit and my subs to make sure they work. All is well. At least they corrected the mistake.

Edited by Russmeister (24/02/2004 16:05)