Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#261715 - 28/07/2005 10:07 About time! (IRA)
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Pity it took someone else bombing London to get the IRA to agree to give up violence.

#261716 - 28/07/2005 11:41 Re: About time! (IRA) [Re: pgrzelak]
Phoenix42
veteran

Loc: MA but Irish born
Yup it is good news.
Now lets hope that all sides sit down around a table and get Northern Ireland sorted out rather then arguing about what mineral water should be served.

#261717 - 28/07/2005 14:14 Re: About time! (IRA) [Re: Phoenix42]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
I wish that the various Unionist spokesmen, just for once, say "Great" and then shut up.

Edited by andy (28/07/2005 14:16)

#261718 - 28/07/2005 14:18 Re: About time! (IRA) [Re: andy]
andy
carpal tunnel

...and of course we have just had the Sinn Fein vice president still refusing to recommend that people in NI seeing a crime should actually tell the police about it.

#261719 - 28/07/2005 16:26 Re: About time! (IRA) [Re: pgrzelak]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
I am utterly, utterly astonished. I never thought I would live to see this day.

We lived in Greenisland near Carrickfergus from '74 onwards for many years (I still have family there), and "No Surrender!" was something I heard daily as a schoolkid.

If only someone had been brave enough to do this in 1975 - a lot of bloodshed and pain could have been avoided.

I applaud the people who have been strong enough to make this decision. Wonderful news.
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#261720 - 28/07/2005 18:09 Re: About time! (IRA) [Re: schofiel]
Geoff
enthusiast

Loc: Northern Ireland
Personally, I'm inclined not to believe a word they say, so I'll wait and see. They could change their minds again in a week, a month, a year or whenever if they don't get what they want. And if that happens, they'll somehow manage to go back to violence in a way that lays the blame at everyone else but them. That's what happened when they ended their first "complete cessation" in 1996 by bombing Canary Wharf and effectively saying "The Brits made us do it"

I've known too many good people who were murdered over the years and seen too many towns bombed, and I don't see why anyone should be rewarded or applauded for deciding not to murder people anymore. Otherwise what's the point in living peacefully within the law? We practically have 'celebrity terrorists' in Northern Ireland, it's a joke! Unfortunately it's not a very funny one!

The whole thing with the bombs in London this month and politicians earnestly promising "never to give in to terrorists' demands" is just all too depressingly familiar. British Governments unfortunately seem to make a habit of giving in to terrorists' demands
Mk2 Red - was 12GB, now 60GB

#261721 - 28/07/2005 18:41 Re: About time! (IRA) [Re: Geoff]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Quote:
British Governments unfortunately seem to make a habit of giving in to terrorists' demands

Wel, I still think this is a great news. I can understand your "wait and see" attitude, but what do you suggest the Government should have done differently in the vein of "not giving in to terrorists" and what would have been beneficial effects of that?
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#261722 - 28/07/2005 18:43 Re: About time! (IRA) [Re: Geoff]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
British Governments unfortunately seem to make a habit of giving in to terrorists' demands

And long may they continue. For every terrorist, there are another 999 people out of a thousand who feel the same way, but would never resort to terror to put things right. I prefer to think that it is those people who have won their struggle, not the terrorists.

Peter

#261723 - 28/07/2005 18:48 Re: About time! (IRA) [Re: peter]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I may have missed it, but the articles I read did not state that the government made any concessions. It looked like a unilateral statement from the reports I saw. Did I miss something?

#261724 - 28/07/2005 19:00 Re: About time! (IRA) [Re: pgrzelak]
peter
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I may have missed it, but the articles I read did not state that the government made any concessions. It looked like a unilateral statement from the reports I saw. Did I miss something?

Only that the general situation in Northern Ireland has been improving for years now -- the Patten reforms of the RUC, the Parades Commission, the Good Friday agreement itself. Northern Ireland is something the Blair government has done well at.

Peter

#261725 - 28/07/2005 19:23 Re: About time! (IRA) [Re: peter]
andy
carpal tunnel

and the also released a Republican prisioner last night, presumably as a good will gesture to kick the whole thing off

#261726 - 28/07/2005 19:42 Re: About time! (IRA) [Re: peter]
Geoff
enthusiast

Quote:
For every terrorist, there are another 999 people out of a thousand who feel the same way

Not here there aren't.

#261727 - 28/07/2005 19:46 Re: About time! (IRA) [Re: Geoff]
peter
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Not here there aren't.

You were happy with a situation where police and security services collaborated with paramilitaries to get lawyers murdered?

Peter

#261728 - 28/07/2005 19:49 Re: About time! (IRA) [Re: peter]
Geoff
enthusiast

Quote:
Only that the general situation in Northern Ireland has been improving for years now -- the Patten reforms of the RUC, the Parades Commission, the Good Friday agreement itself. Northern Ireland is something the Blair government has done well at.

Again, this rather depends on which 'side of the fence' you're on. Personally, I would disagree on almost every count, as do most people I know.

#261729 - 28/07/2005 19:52 Re: About time! (IRA) [Re: Geoff]
peter
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Again, this rather depends on which 'side of the fence' you're on. Personally, I would disagree on almost every count, as do most people I know.

The Northern Ireland peace process is about imposing the rule of law on both sides. Certainly the unionists have something to lose by this, but they gain in return a modern democratic society.

Peter

#261730 - 28/07/2005 20:02 Re: About time! (IRA) [Re: Geoff]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Quote:

Again, what is the solution? Having more and more soldiers protecting ridiculous parades commemorating a coup done almost four centuries ago with the aid of foreign military intervention and "controling" demonstrators using live ammunition, while "Republican" and "Loyalist" terrorists continue to kill and maim victims in most cowardly way?
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#261731 - 28/07/2005 20:14 Re: About time! (IRA) [Re: peter]
Geoff
enthusiast

Quote:
You were happy with a situation where police and security services collaborated with paramilitaries to get lawyers murdered?

I'm not sure how you get there from what I said?

Maybe I misunderstood your comment, I read it as saying that 100% of the population agreed with your 1 hypothetical terrorist, in aims if not means. This place just isn't like that, not by a long shot. If you'd said "for every terrorist, there are 499 people out of a thousand who feel the same way", I still wouldn't have agreed, but it would have left the door open for an opposing political ideology.

If everyone here wanted exactly the same thing, we wouldn't have this thread

#261732 - 28/07/2005 20:23 Re: About time! (IRA) [Re: Geoff]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Well, I would guess that the population is indeed mostly divided into the group that would favour unification of Ireland and the one that woud prefer outright annexation of Ulster, with an odd proponent of independence and some so depressed they don't care. I think that Peter's point was that all peaceful citizens won, regardless of the side of the fence.

#261733 - 28/07/2005 20:30 Re: About time! (IRA) [Re: bonzi]
Geoff
enthusiast

Quote:
Again, what is the solution? Having more and more soldiers protecting ridiculous parades commemorating a coup done almost four centuries ago with the aid of foreign military intervention and "controling" demonstrators using live ammunition, while "Republican" and "Loyalist" terrorists continue to kill and maim victims in most cowardly way?

I don't have an answer. But one man's 'ridiculous parade' is another man's 'cultural tradition', maybe a bit more tolerance for each other would be a start I suppose.

If today's statement (and hopefully some sort of reciprocation by all the other terrorist groups) allows some breathing space for that to happen, then I'll welcome it with open arms...

"Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes", I suppose

#261734 - 28/07/2005 20:37 Re: About time! (IRA) [Re: Geoff]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Whee! Political debates that don't center around the US!

For those of us isolationists that don't understand "The Troubles", what is the deal? As far as I understand it, Ireland was invaded by Britain ages ago and there was an Irish revolution that eventually resulted in an independent Ireland. But Northern Ireland was kept from that nation and remained a part of Britain. That brings up question #1: why? Were there more British in that area than elsewhere? So since then, some have campaigned for the "return" of Northern Ireland to Ireland, and others have campaigned for Northern Ireland to remain British. Question #2: why? I think I understand the last part, which is that it got all heated and violent and escalated from there until it's probably gotten to the point of being a feud with mostly-forgotten reasons, but I just don't understand what brought it to that point to begin with.

#261735 - 28/07/2005 22:07 Re: About time! (IRA) [Re: wfaulk]
Geoff
enthusiast

Quote:
For those of us isolationists that don't understand "The Troubles", what is the deal?

The easy questions first, eh?

I'm not a historian, and wouldn't know where to start, so resorting to Wikipedia seems like a good idea.

It would probably take all night to answer your specific questions, and since I'm speaking from an admittedly unionist viewpoint, I could end up inadvertantly starting another argument.

Putting it fairly directly, when what is now the Republic of Ireland gained independence from the UK, there was a sizeable population in the northern part of the island who considered themselves British and almost half a million men and women signed the Ulster Covenant and a parallel Declaration (for the women!) and pledged to oppose any attempt to break the link with Britain.

The reason for the greater pro-British population in this part of Ireland was that they were largely descendants of the English and Scottish settlers who were granted land in the 16th & 17th centuries and encouraged to move there in what was called the Plantation of Ulster. My own home village is still named after the settler who was granted land in the area and the fortified house that he built back in about 1619.

There was an Irish Rebellion in 1641, and there is still a stone tablet in my local church with musket holes where some of these protestant settlers were lined up and murdered, there are long memories on both sides.

A lot of the present trouble still hinges on this long-standing distrust between the Protestants (who mostly consider themselves to be British) and Roman Catholics (who mostly consider themselves to be Irish) The Protestants do not wish to be part of what they perceive to be a Roman Catholic state ("Home Rule is Rome Rule" was an old slogan in the late 19th & early 20th centuries) and the Roman Catholics do not wish to be part of the United Kingdom and so pursue independence for the whole island. Ironically, the only time Ireland was ever actually united as one political entity was under British rule.

I suspect that in many cases, you are correct, and we now just distrust each other because that's how it's always been. There was an earlier IRA campaign between 1956 & 1962, and the recent 35 years of terrorism from both sides hasn't helped, and has just given each community a longer and longer list of injustices.

The two positions are so opposite that there is no easy way to reconcile them without one side or the other thinking that they are losing and resisting the change.

In case it wasn't obvious, I'm firmly in the protestant/unionist camp and as determined to remain British as anyone who came before me, so that will probably colour my interpretation of events. The Wikipedia articles looked fairly well-written and balanced though, so they might give a better impression of the issues involved.

#261736 - 29/07/2005 05:30 Re: About time! (IRA) [Re: Geoff]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Yes, most fascinating history, which somehow refuses to stay that, history... Someone (Iain Banks, someone here?) said that the main obstacle to peace in Northern Ireland is "whataboutism": whenever the peace is within reach, someone would stand up and say "Yes, but what about <this or that ancient injustice>!?", and we are back to square one.

Now, here is a heretical idea: perhaps solution lies in better integrated "Europe of regions", where nation states, while still existing, are not the obstacle to different, sometimes more natural organization. Irish/British Ulster is far from being the only example: Spanish/Frensh Basque region, French/German Alsace/Lotharingia, Italian/Slovenian/Croatian Istria, Italian/Austrian Tirol... Europe has very turbulent history, and existing borders are best left alone, but there is hardly a pair of neighbouring countries that do not share some such region spanning national borders.

#261737 - 29/07/2005 06:02 Re: About time! (IRA) [Re: wfaulk]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
For those of us isolationists that don't understand "The Troubles", what is the deal?

The BBC has a write-up about modern Irish republicanism, here.

#261738 - 29/07/2005 07:47 Now Cornwall, no really... [Re: bonzi]
andy
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Now, here is a heretical idea: perhaps solution lies in better integrated "Europe of regions", where nation states, while still existing, are not the obstacle to different, sometimes more natural organization.

Talking about regions and nation states, there was a wonderful news story the other day. The UK government have come up with some funding to allow placenames to be displayed in both English and Cornish on road signs in Cornwall.

However there is a problem. The speakers of the Cornish language can't agree on how all these Cornish words are spelt. One of the words that they are having problems with is Cornwall itself, which apparently has several different spellings...

#261739 - 29/07/2005 08:09 Re: About time! (IRA) [Re: Geoff]
peter
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Maybe I misunderstood your comment, I read it as saying that 100% of the population agreed with your 1 hypothetical terrorist, in aims if not means. This place just isn't like that, not by a long shot. If you'd said "for every terrorist, there are 499 people out of a thousand who feel the same way", I still wouldn't have agreed, but it would have left the door open for an opposing political ideology.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I certainly didn't mean to imply that 999/1000 of Northern Irish are republicans; that's obviously not true. All I was trying to say was that 999/1000 of republicans aren't terrorists (and the same, of course, goes for loyalists). It's the moderates on both sides, not the extremists, who most deserve peace.

Peter

#261740 - 29/07/2005 16:36 Re: About time! (IRA) [Re: Roger]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Okay, so it looks like there's the obvious Republican ideal of uniting Ireland, which is simple enough. But then this modern Republicanist militantism seems to stem from what that article refers to as civil rights violations against Catholics in Northern Ireland, but it doesn't say what those might have been.

And I can understand the Unionists desire to remain both British and on the land to which they were born, but beyond that idealism, is current (or even post-1922 in general) Irish government seen as inextricably tied to the Catholic Church, which seems to have been at least one of the biggest issues of the Unionists?

#261741 - 29/07/2005 19:16 Re: About time! (IRA) [Re: wfaulk]
peter
carpal tunnel

Quote:
But then this modern Republicanist militantism seems to stem from what that article refers to as civil rights violations against Catholics in Northern Ireland, but it doesn't say what those might have been.

It's widely-attested (though I've never been to NI, so I'm not really talking from experience) that the local police force, formerly known as the Royal Ulster Constabulary or RUC, fell somewhat short of impartiality when it came to sectarian crime. The proportion of Protestants among RUC officers was much higher than would be representative of the population, and the force was seen by some Catholics as a pro-Protestant organisation, and indeed one instrumental in enforcing their status as second-class citizens. Among their allegations are that sectarian crimes against "troublemaker" Catholics were investigated half-heartedly if at all, and that on at least one occasion a troublemaker was murdered under circumstances of not merely police indifference but active police complicity.

Chris Patten, a former Government minister, was tasked with looking into allegations of partisanship, and, rather to the surprise of his Tory colleagues, delivered a stinging report which, while explicitly declining to comment on the RUC's past record, recommended widespread changes centered around strong reinforcement of police officers' commitment to the human rights of all parts of the community. Many but not all of Patten's recommendations were adopted, including a symbolic change of name from RUC to NIPF (Northern Ireland Police Force), a name which, it was hoped, sounded more neutral. The NIPF are making a deliberate effort to recruit more from the Catholic community, with the long-term aim of balancing-out the numbers completely, to reflect the make-up of the wider community. But even now, many Catholics are wary, if not outright distrusting, of the police. One groundbreaking statement that was hoped-for, but not yet forthcoming, from republican leaders was a simple call to republicans to, in general, report crimes to the police.

Peter

#261742 - 29/07/2005 19:33 Re: About time! (IRA) [Re: wfaulk]
peter
carpal tunnel

Quote:
And I can understand the Unionists desire to remain both British and on the land to which they were born, but beyond that idealism, is current (or even post-1922 in general) Irish government seen as inextricably tied to the Catholic Church, which seems to have been at least one of the biggest issues of the Unionists?

I don't know about "inextricably", but the Catholic church wields gigantic political power in the Republic, possibly more than in any other country, even Italy. Their influence is slowly declining, in favour of a more inclusive attitude to human rights, but it remains the case that anything which the Catholic church opposes has great difficulty making it into Irish law: homosexuality was only legalised in 1993, divorce in 1997 (!), unmarried couples have few rights, and abortion is illegal.

Peter

#261743 - 29/07/2005 23:01 Re: About time! (IRA) [Re: peter]
Geoff
enthusiast

Quote:
It's widely-attested (though I've never been to NI, so I'm not really talking from experience) that the local police force, formerly known as the Royal Ulster Constabulary or RUC, fell somewhat short of impartiality when it came to sectarian crime.

It's widely attested by republicans, certainly, which goes to prove that if you throw enough mud, some of it sticks. Certain individual officers during 30 years of watching their colleagues being murdered may have been less than perfect, but to imply that the RUC were institutionally sectarian is complete rubbish.

The stress on RUC officers and their families was appalling, they had to live with the constant threat of being murdered either on or off duty. I can clearly remember getting lifts to school from neighbours and having to stand round the corner while the car was checked for booby-trap bombs. These sorts of things went on daily and passed for 'normal', we just had to get on with it.

Quote:
The proportion of Protestants among RUC officers was much higher than would be representative of the population

Considering that Roman Catholic members of the RUC were actively intimidated and murdered by republicans, that's not so surprising really. When the RUC was formed, 3000 places out of about 9000 were allocated for Roman Catholic recruitment and many of these were filled by ex members of the RIC. You can't condemn the RUC for being composed largely of Protestants without considering the underlying reasons.

Quote:
Many but not all of Patten's recommendations were adopted, including a symbolic change of name from RUC to NIPF (Northern Ireland Police Force)

Actually, it's the Police Service of Northern Ireland, or PSNI.

Quote:
The NIPF are making a deliberate effort to recruit more from the Catholic community, with the long-term aim of balancing-out the numbers completely, to reflect the make-up of the wider community.

The recruitment policy is presently 50/50 (50% Roman Catholic, 50% Other) and if only 10 suitable Roman Catholic recruits apply, then only 10 other recruits (from all other religions or none) can be accepted along with them. This replaces one perceived form of discrimination with another, it is now incredibly difficult for Protestants to be accepted into the PSNI.

Quote:
But even now, many Catholics are wary, if not outright distrusting, of the police.

No doubt partly influenced by the implicit threat from republicans, perhaps this week's statement will go some way towards allowing this to change.

#261744 - 11/09/2005 22:03 Re: About time! (IRA) [Re: pgrzelak]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Sounds like now that the IRA has promised to disarm, the (Protestant) Orange Order has taken up the slack.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >