Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#291406 - 13/12/2006 01:29 Making an active drive non-active (XP)
Neutrino
addict

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
I was swapping around some drive letters using the disk management program in XP and fumble fingered my way to setting one of my 300GB movie drives to active. Is there a way for me to reset the drive back to a non-active state without having to copy all of the data to another drive and then delete the partition on this drive? Of course, I don't want to lose the data. As I remember the earlier versions of partition magic (before NTFS) let you do this but the newer versions do not.

Thanks!

#291407 - 13/12/2006 04:09 Re: Making an active drive non-active (XP) [Re: Neutrino]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
This MS knowledge base might help KB315261

#291408 - 13/12/2006 20:41 Re: Making an active drive non-active (XP) [Re: gbeer]
Neutrino
addict

Thanks gbeer the answer wasn't there but it was a good read.

#291409 - 14/12/2006 05:39 Re: Making an active drive non-active (XP) [Re: Neutrino]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Yeah, well I wasn't quite sure what you meant by Active. That seemed to fit.

#291410 - 14/12/2006 15:26 Re: Making an active drive non-active (XP) [Re: gbeer]
Neutrino
addict

What I did was I set one of the movies drives to "Active". This means that I have flagged it as the drive that the system should boot from. There is only supposed to be one drive in a system that is set to active. On a Windows box it is generally the "C" drive. The "Active" drive is also suppose to be located as the master of the primary IDE channel. I would like to remove the "Active" flag from the movie drive I set it on without losing the data. What I did is actually not causing any problems as the system sees the correct drive first and boots from it. I would still like to remove the flag from the other drive just to make it correct. I think it is interesting that so many applications allow you to set it but to unset it is problematic. Seems kind of goofy. I can just copy the data to another drive. I'm kind of on a quest to figure out a way to reset this flag though!

#291411 - 14/12/2006 16:10 Re: Making an active drive non-active (XP) [Re: Neutrino]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Oh. That kind of active.

Grab a Linux boot disk, boot off of it, then run the "fdisk" command against the appropriate drive. Assuming it's the second IDE drive in your system, probably "/dev/hdb". Type "p" to show the current partition table. There should be an asterisk in the "boot" column on the partition you marked active. Type "a"; it'll ask you for a partition number. Enter the partition you want to toggle the flag on. Type "p" again to verify that it's gone. Then type "w" to write it out and exit. Reboot.

#291412 - 14/12/2006 17:38 Re: Making an active drive non-active (XP) [Re: wfaulk]
Neutrino
addict

Wow! Thanks Bitt! I can do this on a NTFS drive via Linux?

#291413 - 14/12/2006 17:59 Re: Making an active drive non-active (XP) [Re: Neutrino]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
Wow! Thanks Bitt! I can do this on a NTFS drive via Linux?

The "active" indicator is just a bit in the partition table. It can be changed using fdisk without it knowing or caring what the contents of the partition are.

Peter

#291414 - 14/12/2006 18:15 Re: Making an active drive non-active (XP) [Re: peter]
petteri
addict

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Quote:
The "active" indicator is just a bit in the partition table. It can be changed using fdisk without it knowing or caring what the contents of the partition are.

Peter

That's one thing I never understood. What "file system" are these partition tables written in? What universal standard is used here and who created it?

#291415 - 14/12/2006 19:13 Re: Making an active drive non-active (XP) [Re: petteri]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
It's not universal. It's specific to the IBM PC platform. I imagine it was invented by IBM back in the early 80s, but I could be wrong. Other architectures use different methods.

Basically, the IBM PC partition table is defined to be on the first sector on the hard disk as part of the MBR (Master Boot Record) and it consists of four 16-byte records, each defining a partition. There can be no more than four primary partitions in this architecture. There are a number of ways "sub-partitions" can be defined, but they are all defined within the space of the primary partition itself.

Wikipedia has an entry on the IBM MBR and partition table scheme.

#291416 - 14/12/2006 22:47 Re: Making an active drive non-active (XP) [Re: wfaulk]
petteri
addict

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Quote:
Wikipedia has an entry on the IBM MBR and partition table scheme.

Ah, thanks!