Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#323018 - 05/06/2009 19:52 Whisky
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Originally Posted By: peter
What, Baptist to Glenfiddich? While I'll agree that that's most of the distance, it's still a bit further on before you get to proper Laphroaig wink

I think we've managed to avoid talking about whisky here before. It's probably time to stop.

Me, I'm not a big fan of Islay whiskies: too much grassiness.

My favorite whisky for quite some time has been Glengoyne, which is sadly not available here. frown

#323022 - 05/06/2009 20:38 Re: Whisky [Re: wfaulk]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Mmm.. seems to exist up here, but pricey!

LCBO product search results:
Code:
1.  	96 GLENGOYNE (DOUGLAS LAING)
United Kingdom | Douglas Laing & Co. Ltd.
VINTAGES 31948 | 700 mL | $ 91.20
2. 	GLENGOYNE SINGLE CASK 29 YEAR OLD HIGHLAND SINGLE MALT 1977
United Kingdom | Ian Macleod And Co. Ltd.
VINTAGES 52175 | 700 mL | $ 857.70
3. 	GLENGOYNE SINGLE CASK 36 YEAR OLD HIGHLAND SINGLE MALT 1969
United Kingdom | Ian Macleod And Co. Ltd.
VINTAGES 52183 | 700 mL | $ 1343.55 

#323023 - 05/06/2009 20:41 Re: Whisky [Re: mlord]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Assuming those are CAD, that's a little high, but close to right.

#323024 - 05/06/2009 20:55 Re: Whisky [Re: wfaulk]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
I came to the conclusion a couple of years that I pretty much only like Islay whisky. I've been drinking whisky since my early twenties, but I hadn't realised until then that I only really liked the Islay ones.

I've been drinking Laphroaig as my main whisky for years now. Eryl and I did a circuit of the Highlands in this wee beastie back in 2007:

On the way I got to try out a wide selection of different whisky, thanks to the fact Eryl doesn't like whisky. At every bar the story would play out the same. I'd order a whisky. The barman/woman would ask if Eryl was having one as well. Eryl would say "no thanks, I don't like whisky".

The bar staff would then take it as a personal challenge to find a whisky that Eryl liked. They'd say, "try this one, lots of people who don't like whisky like this one" and pour her a whisky.

She'd take one small taste and say she didn't like it. They'd then try another whisky. Same response from Eryl. Repeat until bar staff are bored.

Meanwhile I'd be finishing up the measures Eryl had been given for free. Perfect wink

So I tasted a lot of different whisky, most of it non-Islay and most that didn't come close to Laphroaig, for my taste. I did however discover another Islay tipple along the way, I hadn't had any Bruchladdie before.

I doubt I'll ever forget that I had my first taste of the excellent Bruchladdie at the wonderfully remote (for the UK at least) Kylesku Hotel. What a spot:

#323025 - 05/06/2009 21:01 Re: Whisky [Re: andy]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

It's well past time for me to take a vacation. I should go to Scotland, rent a sports car, and tour the distilleries, too. I wonder how long it would take me to get used to shifting with my left hand.

#323026 - 05/06/2009 21:04 Re: Whisky [Re: wfaulk]
andy
carpal tunnel

Anyone who likes whisky, cars or Scotland who hasn't read Iain Bank's Raw Spirit should run to their bookstore now and buy it.

#323027 - 05/06/2009 21:07 Re: Whisky [Re: wfaulk]
andy
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: wfaulk
It's well past time for me to take a vacation. I should go to Scotland, rent a sports car, and tour the distilleries, too.

I can highly recommend these guys:

http://www.rioprestige.com/

But it ain't cheap, cost us £1,500 for five days in the TVR Tuscan (which they don't have anymore). They do still have a TVR Sagaris though...

#323028 - 05/06/2009 21:32 Re: Whisky [Re: andy]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I was looking at Bespokes (warning: doesn't work well in Firefox). They have a Tuscan for £975 a week, from London or Watford, Herts., and they have a good number of interesting cars cheaper than that.

#323029 - 05/06/2009 21:40 Re: Whisky [Re: wfaulk]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
Originally Posted By: wfaulk
It's well past time for me to take a vacation. I should go to Scotland, rent a sports car, and tour the distilleries, too. I wonder how long it would take me to get used to shifting with my left hand.

It's much easier than you think, the brain adapts amazingly quickly. Not sure if I'd go out in a TVR on my first go though smile

We had a lovely weekend up in Scotland last week, down near Cambletown, my Uncle was staying on for the rest of the week and was going to Islay to take the tours. Of what I tried there I have to say it did start to change my opinion on Whisky as it's not normally a drink I can stomach. I was surprised by the very strong but strangely smooth peaty tastes. I could see how a tour of such amazing surroundings whilst experiencing all the different flavours would make for a fantastic holiday.

The only tip I could off is to make sure you plan in lots of time between the different stop offs, for example it was well over a 3 hour drive from Glasgow to Carradale which is about 110 miles. Although I have to say the drive along the West Coast from Campbeltown (the A83) was really worth the it, fast and sweeping right along the coast line for quite a few miles.

Cheers

Cris.

#323030 - 05/06/2009 21:45 Re: Whisky [Re: wfaulk]
andy
carpal tunnel

It is 500+ miles from Watford to the Highlands of Scotland I'm afraid. Also, I've heard some bad things in the past about Bespokes.

There are some options a little closer to the Highlands though:

http://www.caledonianclassics.co.uk/
http://www.openroadhire.co.uk/

#323031 - 05/06/2009 22:16 Re: Whisky [Re: wfaulk]
drakino
carpal tunnel

The highlands of Scotland are a great place for a vacation. I went there on a trip about 12 years ago now. Amazing place to visit for my first time overseas.

#323037 - 06/06/2009 06:00 Re: Whisky [Re: andy]
Schido
enthusiast

Loc: Probably lost somewhere in Wal...
Like Eryl, I always thought i didn't like whisky either, until i tasted the macallan at their brewery, i did like that one

http://www.xs4all.nl/~schido/fotos/schotland/
Empeg Mk1 #00177, 2.00 final, hijack 4.76

#323038 - 06/06/2009 06:25 Re: Whisky [Re: Schido]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
I presume it to be sacriledge to mention Welsh Whisky on a thread about single malts! - and it's not bad either. It's also from the village where the 25% of my Welsh ancestry hail from.
I'm all for nice sports cars, but the Highlands were the place where we got the best use out of our motorhome, it seemed much easier just to drift around and find somewhere for the night on-spec, than other places: Not to mention willing landlords with car parks.
As to my taste in Whiskies: I drink too much and without sufficient appreciation of its subtleties, and put away large quantities of Bushmills, as well.