Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#98606 - 10/06/2002 20:16 new player problems
willebear
journeyman

Loc: Louisville, KY USA
i have installed the empeg in my car and it rocks

there are some disturding issues however

-the visuals will not work
-it seems that many of the functions aren't working (shuffle)
- i can select them but they won't work

there are artists listed with no songs for them
how do I delete these from the database?
i thought i deleted them in emplode but they are still there

still can't add songs. i am trying to install the latest hijack - keeps saying 'com port can't be opened'

i have enabled logging so if you guys can't help me with these issues i can use tech support

thanks again

#98607 - 10/06/2002 20:54 Re: new player problems [Re: willebear]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
-the visuals will not work

You must select a screen mode where there are visuals. By default, you are in a text screen mode and the visuals are hidden behind this text screen. Press the "Info" button on the remote until it says "Info:Off". Then you may select a visual and it will work.

-it seems that many of the functions aren't working (shuffle)

Can you be more specific? I can't imagine a situation where shuffle would not work for you. Go to the shuffle menu and what does it say there? Select "Random" from that menu and what does it say on the screen?

there are artists listed with no songs for them

Please be more specific. What screen do you see these artists in? Is it a screen in the Emplode software? Is it a screen on the player? Which screen?

still can't add songs. i am trying to install the latest hijack

Well, that's probably the root of your problem. Don't try to do your initial player loading with beta software that has known bugs. Please click here and follow the instructions for installing software version 1.03. Do all your initial music loading with this official non-beta version.

#98608 - 10/06/2002 22:01 Re: new player problems [Re: tfabris]
willebear
journeyman

got the visuals - thanks

with shuffle, i go to random and press 'enter' and it returns to the main screen. i am looking for 'random for the entire library' - is this an option or will it just do random for the album i'm in at the time

-the artists are listed on the player in the playlist. these are the ones that were being uploaded during the crash. in emplode, i have searched and deleted these files and synched up with the player with no problem. yet, they still display in the playlist

-i am trying to install 1.03 on the player but am still having problems with the COM1 port
there is no Boo-Boo icon in the system manager and no other software uses the port??

thanks for your help

#98609 - 11/06/2002 02:29 Re: new player problems [Re: willebear]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
Okay random or shuffle will only shuffle the playlist you are in so if you want to shuffle everything what to do is push the down button three times (push down to get menu,push down to select playlists, push down to play everything).

Now it will start playing everything on the player now if you tell it to shuffle then everything will shuffle.

As to com 1 not working i have no idea you have told emplode to search over com 1 also you have got the cable plugged into com 1?

You might try to connect throuh hyperterminal

Another thing is if you have an early mk2 they came with the wrong cable. But if it was that old the cable would of been replaced.

The empeg has a huge amount of features it will take you an age to discover them all I learnt by playing with it.

Go over to the empeg FAQ over at riocar it is brilliant

If you feel very rich come over to the owners meet and you will learn loads

#98610 - 11/06/2002 06:13 Re: new player problems [Re: tfabris]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
>Don't try to do your initial player loading with beta software
>that has known bugs.

I disagree completely with that advice. The v2beta s/w is WAY faster for loading tunes onto the player, and is ALL that I have used on 3/4 players here. No issues.

The fourth (4/4) player I have was populated with tunes using 1.03. When I later upgraded it to v2beta, it reported all sorts of database errors and got very confused. So I nuked it (disk builder), and redid everything from the beginning, except using v2beta software instead.

Works great. Highly recommended, provided one also installs Hijack before downloading tunes (to fix the Jiffies bug).

-ml

#98611 - 11/06/2002 09:20 Re: new player problems [Re: mlord]
willebear
journeyman

i believe my MK2 was purchased in 2000 - is the cable no good? that would make sense.

why can't i install over my ethrnet port which is working like a champ.

hopefullly Hijack 275 will fix my upload errors

any advice on how to clear these "empty" artists from my playlist on the player

they have been deleted from emplode but keep showing up on the player

#98612 - 11/06/2002 09:45 Re: new player problems [Re: willebear]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

why can't i install over my ethrnet port which is working like a champ.

Because the serial port is the only available installation point at this time. The player has some hard-coded boot firmware (protected flash memory) that talks only to the serial port, and this is what's used by the upgrader.

Question: How were you able to install version 2.0 beta 11 if your serial port doesn't work?

In any case, the next thing to try is to do the software installation (or Hijack installation whichever you like) on a different PC. Also click here to see how to use Hyperterminal with the serial port to debug problems.

any advice on how to clear these "empty" artists from my playlist on the player

I'm still not exactly clear on what problem you're having, but perhaps have a look at this and this and see if they help.

#98613 - 11/06/2002 15:15 Re: new player problems [Re: tfabris]
willebear
journeyman

-Question: How were you able to install version 2.0 beta 11 if your serial port doesn't work?

I bought this puppy used and the guy already had it installed. I am going to buy a new serial cable and hopefully that will get me going

i was told that it is likely a corrupt database which can be fixed by using hyperterminal to input this

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda3 bs=512 count=128
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/empeg_state bs=128 count=1

i'll keep my fingers crossed and thank you for all of your help!

#98614 - 11/06/2002 18:52 Re: new player problems [Re: willebear]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Are these "empty artists" under the Playlists menu? It sounds to me like you just have a bunch of empty playlists (in the form of artist names) that you can erase. If you started a download it would have first created the playlist structure, and then transfered content - except it crashed before it finished. You still have the playlists, but not all of the content. Simply delete them, or transfer the content again.

Rob

#98615 - 11/06/2002 21:38 COM port issues [Re: willebear]
willebear
journeyman

i am having xp headaches. first of all, hyperterminal was not installed under accessories->communications .
it was no where to be found on my xp disc either. i downloaded a hyperterminal private edition program and when i tried to connect it says that it is being used by another telephony device. i have never used this port on my machine.

i am sorry to keep posting but my searching google is only turning up solutions for win 95

#98616 - 11/06/2002 21:43 Re: COM port issues [Re: willebear]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

when i tried to connect it says that it is being used by another telephony device. i have never used this port on my machine.

Well, YOU may have never used the port, but something is using it. Dunno how to tell what's using it, but something sure is.

Could be anything, like it could be your computer vendor's remote-support feature waiting to answer or something.

Anyone know of a piece of software that'll tell you what app has got the COM port locked open?

#98617 - 11/06/2002 22:55 Re: COM port issues [Re: tfabris]
johnmcd3
enthusiast

Loc: Seattle, WA (formerly Houston,...
OR, he could be using a normal serial cable he had laying around, instead of a NULL-modem cable. If thats not the original, get a NULL-modem cable, or converter.

#98618 - 12/06/2002 12:11 Re: new player problems [Re: mlord]
kingtj
new poster

Loc: St. Louis, MO (USA)
Yep, I second the suggestion to load your music onto the player using the same software version you plan to run on it afterwards!

I'm using the beta11 version and I've copied over about 22 gigs. of MP3 music to my player so far, and it's basically working quite well for me.

I have seen a few small glitches, but nothing "show-stopping". (Occasionally, I'll drag an album folder over to the Emplode software to add it, but it won't actually add it. If I try a second time, it works.)

I understand the beta can give you problems if you try to add too much music at one time - but I've been careful to only synchronize 5 or 6 albums full of MP3s at a time. Works well for me that way, anyway, because I need to fix ID3 tags on lots of my stuff as I xfer it over.

#98619 - 13/06/2002 01:30 Re: new player problems [Re: kingtj]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
I loaded 30G of music onto my player in one hit using the v2.0 beta, and didn't have a problem at all.