Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#222373 - 14/11/2002 17:07 Rio discontinued?
WNovinger
stranger

I called SonicBlue today to ask a few questions prior to ordering a Rio Central. The first thing the gal told me when I said I was interested in a Central was that the unit has been discontinued for nearly a year, and that repairs would be very problematic. I was surprised to hear this, inasmuch as it's still advertised on their eStore. Does this make anyone nervous?

#222374 - 14/11/2002 17:19 Re: Rio discontinued? [Re: WNovinger]
Jerz
addict

Loc: Jesusland
uhh...NO not at all. I knew the receivers were discontinued for about a year now (and they sell very well on ebay) but I just bought my RIO Central right around April so I think she may be misinformed. Regardless... nothing can take the place of my RIO Central especially since I have it serve five different (and up to eight) receivers scattered throughout the house. It is simply the best solution for me that I have seen to date. And it is easily upgradeable to a bigger hard drive.

#222375 - 14/11/2002 17:20 Re: Rio discontinued? [Re: WNovinger]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Are you sure the Janitor didn't answer the call? Whoever did so seems about as clueful. The Central was LAUNCHED less than a year ago, and is both shipping and supported. In fact we're about to release a software update so it can support the latest flash portables and SB branded Receivers.

I've fired off an email to the Customer Service team leader. Sorry for the bad information you were given.

Rob

#222376 - 14/11/2002 17:27 Re: Rio discontinued? [Re: rob]
WNovinger
stranger

Thanks, Rob. I really do want to buy one of these cool devices, but the thought that service wouldn't be available in the unlikely event it is needed really bothered me. I feel better now