Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#249976 - 20/02/2005 19:04 Rio Central & jEmplode question
The Central Guy
enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, California USA
Has anyone else seen this issue?

I started with a single 120GB drive for the Central that had about 90 GB of tunes. I made 2 exact copies of that HD and put them into my two Centrals. On the first machine, I thought I'd keep all A-M music and the second HD would have my N-Z music. I wanted to do this because the single drive was getting sluggish and I thought this would buy me some performance and give me more available space on the Centrals.

But when I tried to use jEmplode to delete half the music from each drive, a large task for sure, it started out working okay. I was deleting a few artists at a time and re-syncing. But after deleting about 25-30 GB out of the 45GB that I wanted to delete, the Central would spontaneously reboot. Sometimes I'd have to try the operation two or three times before it would work. It got to the point that almost any "delete" operation would cause the Rio Central to reboot (Even if I initiated the operation from the Central front panel)....

So does the delete operation eventually do something that messes up the Central HD? I ultimately gave up on this idea because it was just too unstable and I didn't want to consider these two new HD's to be my Master copies of my tunes....Any ideas or comments?

Thanks, Randy

#249977 - 20/02/2005 23:03 Re: Rio Central & jEmplode question [Re: The Central Guy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Never seen this myself. The only thing I knew about that caused the Central to spontaneously reboot was the known bug with reboots during multiple-CD-record. But that got fixed in the last update.

So this is something new that you're seeing. It would be interesting to find out what caused it. I doubt it's Jemplode's fault, since you said you can induce it from the front panel.

#249978 - 21/02/2005 04:05 Re: Rio Central & jEmplode question [Re: tfabris]
The Central Guy
enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, California USA
Well, I only tried the delete operation from the front panel once the "Bad behavior" started. I used jEmplode to delete quite a bit of stuff and then as time goes by, it locks up, hangs, and then ultimately spontaneously reboots as soon as you initiate the delete operation. Oh well, not a big deal now, but I was just curious to see if anyone else had seen it....Thanks, Randy

#249979 - 21/02/2005 15:22 Re: Rio Central & jEmplode question [Re: The Central Guy]
geeknerd

Yes, I have seen that behavior just making updates with JEmplode. For the most part, I try and only do one operation at a time before uploading my changes to the central. That seemed to increase the stability.