Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#222233 - 15/09/2002 19:17 Same startup problem with two rio receivers...
ayoungwerth
stranger

I've had my rio receivers for about 9 months. I've only setup one place to hook them up. First one worked great for about 4-5 months and then stopped powering up correctly. It would come up with a 169.x.x.x address (my dhcp server is supposed to hand out stuff in the 192.168.1.100+ range).

So I swapped over to the other unit and it worked fine for another 4-5 months. Now it is doing the same thing!

So I loaded ethereal on my PC and watched what was happening. They are both doing the same thing. They make a DHCP request, then almost immediately after arp out a who-has the 169.x.x.x address (I guess checking their backup IP?), my dhcp server comes back with a perfectly acceptable response but the rio ignores it. It goes through this cycle a few times and then the rio decides on the 169.x.x.x address.

It then makes a upnp request to my server and my server responds with a proper looking url back to my server on port 21076 to /descriptor.xml. But it just seems to ignore this request and ask the same thing, over and over again.

It's almost like these rios can talk but they can't listen on the ethernet ports. But two failing the same way? It just seems unlikely.

What gives? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Al Youngwerth

P.S. I can post a captured trace if that'd help

#222234 - 16/09/2002 07:08 Re: Same startup problem with two rio receivers... [Re: ayoungwerth]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Dumb question, but did you check/change/mangle the cable? I had exactly this problem with some cabling, caused by one of the pairs being broken.

#222235 - 01/07/2006 17:28 Re: Same startup problem with two rio receivers... [Re: ayoungwerth]
laserfan
stranger

Loc: Frozen North
I realize this is an ancient thread, but I was looking for info on the Central serving Receivers, and couldn't find what I was looking for. Maybe some more advanced future civilization will find this and wink knowingly about it...

Although it appears the Central might be capable of serving DHCP if hacked properly, apparently it does not do this--my sole Rio Receiver always gets an IP address from my server box (presently a Magnia SG10) in the range of 192.168.1.120-125 (along w/a few other gizmos I have that need DHCP).

Since Rio had to assume it would have some customers whose only network would be a Central and one or more Receivers, they must have planted some way to deal with this, i.e. maybe if the Receiver can't find a DHCP server on the network, it takes on a 169.x.x.x number and by some other magic (hey, I'm no TCP/IP expert!) establishes communication with the Central.

Dunno what the original poster's problem turned-out to be, but I'd guess his DHCP server was down at some inopportune moment, or a hub/switch failure occurred somewhere, and the Receivers got confused about it.

I wish the Central served-up DHCP since it is on 24/7--maybe some day when I've become a self-taught expert on Linux I will hack-in to it and make that work...

#222236 - 01/07/2006 17:50 Re: Same startup problem with two rio receivers... [Re: laserfan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
I wish the Central served-up DHCP since it is on 24/7

You don't need the Rio Central to be a DHCP server in order for it and the receivers to work in a non-DHCP network. As you said, both it and the receivers go into UPNP mode (169.x.x.x) in the absence of a DHCP server and will work just fine that way.

You can also manually assign it an IP address in the absence of a DHCP server, and the receivers will still work and in fact will still get assigned addresses from it (you can configure those things in its network screens). Not exactly the same thing as DHCP, but ends up acting about the same way.

This is the way I've got it set up now, the central is on 24/7 and it's on a fixed IP address that falls within the mask range of my DHCP network, and it controls the receiver's addresses and makes sure they also fall within that range.

#222237 - 02/07/2006 11:20 Re: Same startup problem with two rio receivers... [Re: tfabris]
laserfan
stranger

Quote:
This is the way I've got it set up now, the central is on 24/7 and it's on a fixed IP address that falls within the mask range of my DHCP network, and it controls the receiver's addresses and makes sure they also fall within that range.

Hi TF, I'm still a bit confused. Is your Central set to a 169 address? And what addresses do your Receivers end-up with?

My Central is on a fixed 192.168.1.110 address. Are you saying that if I turned DHCP "Off" on my network, that the Central would give my Receiver a 192.168.1.xxx address?

I suppose this is "tribal knowledge" but I've searched & searched and your description is the most complete I have seen yet about how this is supposed to work. Thanks...

#222238 - 02/07/2006 12:04 Re: Same startup problem with two rio receivers... [Re: laserfan]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
My Central is on a fixed 192.168.1.110 address. Are you saying that if I turned DHCP "Off" on my network, that the Central would give my Receiver a 192.168.1.xxx address?

If you enable DHCP serving on the Central, yes. I can't remember exactly where in the networking menus that is. Note that the DHCP server in the Central is deliberately nobbled so that it only hands out addresses to Receivers, not to any other clients.

If I understand what you're trying to do, the way forward is this: set the Magnia up to offer IP addresses in a certain range: say, 192.168.1.{100-150}. Give the Central a static IP not in that range, say 192.168.1.151. Then tell the Central to serve out addresses in a separate range, say 192.168.1.{200-250}. Ensure that your netmasks are all 255.255.255.0.

This means that when a Receiver boots and both the Magnia and the Central are up, there'll be a fight over who gives it the IP address, but it doesn't matter who wins, as either server will give it an address on which it can talk to both servers (the Central will give it the wrong default gateway, but Receivers never talk outside their local network anyway). When a Receiver boots and the Central is up but the Magnia isn't, the Central will give it a perfectly fine address. When any other gizmo that's not a Receiver boots, the Magnia needs to be up for it to get an IP address.

If that isn't the behaviour you want, you'll need to be more specific about what you're after.

Peter

#222239 - 02/07/2006 18:13 Re: Same startup problem with two rio receivers... [Re: peter]
laserfan
stranger

Quote:
If you enable DHCP serving on the Central...I can't remember exactly where in the networking menus that is...tell the Central to serve out addresses in a separate range, say 192.168.1.{200-250}.

Thanks Peter, but this is exactly my question: if DHCP serving exists, then WHERE to set any kind of "range" with the Central? I can't find anywhere to do this--there seems only to be a "Serve receiver units" (Yes or No) checkbox. No place to enter a range of IPs, that I can find anywhere.

I have also looked at it from emplode. No way to assert "Serve the following range of IPs to Rio Receivers" on the Central.

This is not a big deal to me really--I'm just trying to understand exactly how the Central works. I have some 20-odd gizmos on my network, and like to keep everything sorted.

P.S. As an aside, note that the simple "Audio Receiver Manager" that comes with the Rio Receiver has a dialog to assert a range of IPs. But not the Central (that I can find)!?

Edited by laserfan (02/07/2006 18:17)

#222240 - 02/07/2006 18:36 Re: Same startup problem with two rio receivers... [Re: laserfan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I can't find anywhere to do this--there seems only to be a "Serve receiver units" (Yes or No) checkbox. No place to enter a range of IPs, that I can find anywhere.

There's a button on that screen that, when selected, will let you specify the IP ranges of the receivers. I forget how it's labeled.

/me goes to check...

#222241 - 02/07/2006 18:41 Re: Same startup problem with two rio receivers... [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Okay, here it is. Addresses are my own, of course you would change them to whatever you wanted on your LAN:

Main menu.
Setup menu.
Network configuration.
External Adapter 1.
Configuration: Manual.
IP address: 192.168.1.4
Subnet mask 255.255.0.0 (I do this special so two local subnets can both reach the Central)
Defailt gateway: 0.0.0.0
Serve receiver units: Checked.
Use this adapter for internet lookup: Checked.

AT THIS POINT pressing the down arrow button one more time will get you to the RECEIVERS... button. Press the right arrow button and BOOM, you're in the screen you couldn't find before. On mine I'm set to:
First address: 192.168.1.90
Last address: 192.168.1.99
Subnet mask: 255.255.0.0
DONE.

#222242 - 03/07/2006 01:56 Re: Same startup problem with two rio receivers... [Re: tfabris]
laserfan
stranger

Quote:
AT THIS POINT pressing the down arrow button one more time will get you to the RECEIVERS... button. Press the right arrow button and BOOM, you're in the screen you couldn't find before.

Oh, man. There it is! I've been up-and-down-and-over-and-out of that screen so many times, yet I've never found this before. Mystery solved, and I've been an idiot. Thanks TF (and Peter) for persisting to help me!

I will sleep like a baby tonight...

#222243 - 03/07/2006 21:06 Re: Same startup problem with two rio receivers... [Re: peter]
laserfan
stranger

Quote:
...If that isn't the behaviour you want, you'll need to be more specific about what you're after.

No, you described exactly what I wanted, and TF showed me exactly where to accomplish the RioCentral part.

Thanks again!