Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#121632 - 17/10/2002 18:45 Anyone care to review the digital out boards?
maczrool
pooh-bah

Loc: Louisiana, USA
There are quite a few digital out boards floating about now and I haven't heard too much either way on them. Since we haven't heard any complaints, I can only assume people's experience with them has been positive. Anyone care to share their experience with them here?

Stu

#121633 - 18/10/2002 08:44 Re: Anyone care to review the digital out boards? [Re: maczrool]
BleachLPB
enthusiast

Loc: Maryland
I will as soon as I plan a Sunday afternoon up in my dad's shop to install it. I need to set aside a chunk of several hours and I don't have that time at least until next weekend.

This, and Shonky's Sled Plug too. This, unfortunately, I might not get to so soon - I have yet to design and build a home docking station that I plan to use it for.

But, so far, I am very impressed with the quality of both the sled plug and the digital out board - Very professional.

#121634 - 18/10/2002 09:00 Re: Anyone care to review the digital out boards? [Re: maczrool]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Anyone care to share their experience with them here?

I's sort of in the same boat as BleachLPB. It is a work of art from what I can tell, but the local gent that I hoped to recruit for soldery bailed out on me, I am pretty much absorbed in the final weeks of a somewhat-Death-March project, so I don't expect I'll get to install this until November (past end of Daylight Savings Time and Jim gets laid off 1 day after handing over Death March project deliverable!!)

Anyhow, I just might have to score some Vitamin V and do the soldering myself, but a review will be forthcoming. I hope that you are not feeling neglected after this great effort (and I hope you are selling a bunch!). I am looking forward to having a full Brian/Maczrool Empeg!

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#121635 - 18/10/2002 09:08 Re: Anyone care to review the digital out boards? [Re: jimhogan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
and Jim gets laid off 1 day after handing over Death March project deliverable!

"Four hundred years ago on the planet Earth, workers who felt their livelihood threatened by automation flung their wooden shoes, called 'sabot', into the machines to stop them. Hence the word... sabotage."
-Valeris

#121636 - 18/10/2002 18:29 Re: Anyone care to review the digital out boards? [Re: tfabris]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Hence the word... sabotage

Yes, some of us have definitely been thinking how we can slip the deadline with a wooden shoe or two...but we generally suffer from the hope (after 40 of 88 in our group were laid off yesterday) that if we do *reeeeel* good on this project, maybe we won't be included in the next wave of assassinations!

A guy can dream, can't he?

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#121637 - 19/10/2002 10:25 Re: Anyone care to review the digital out boards? [Re: jimhogan]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Thanks guys and thanks to Rezolution, for a very prompt review here and here.

Stu

#121638 - 20/10/2002 14:09 Re: Anyone care to review the digital out boards? [Re: maczrool]
maczrool
pooh-bah

I just updated the installation manual available here. The ground and power portion now reflects Hugo's reccomendations, the file size is down to 2.3 MB, and there are more pictures.

Stu

#121639 - 03/03/2003 21:21 Re: Anyone care to review the digital out boards? [Re: maczrool]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
I want one of these but I can't afford it plus $130 to install it when I'm already looking at a docking station (another $150) and an 80GB drive...

So, is this something a human could put together? (Most of you are super human when it comes to this stuff. I've seen david@empeg's mpg... [shock] )

#121640 - 04/03/2003 13:48 Re: Anyone care to review the digital out boards? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Not sure you wanted me to answer this, but just in case...

I assume you are referring to the video featuring the installation of the surface mount cap for the dimmer fix mod. Although the installation of an assembled board involves no surface mount work, well maybe one joint to a large pad for the crystal, the other four joints are kind of tricky to get right, although they don't take more than 5-10 minutes for me to achieve, but I guess I am among the super humans you speak of . If the video scares you definitely get somebody to do the install for you.

Stu

#121641 - 13/05/2003 10:22 Re: Anyone care to review the digital out boards? [Re: maczrool]
CHiP
enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Works great for me! Just as described. There is not much to say. I like the little dust cover on the optical out. The craftsmanship is excellent on the install, and on the board and connectors. No shortcuts were taken to do this right as far as I can tell from looking at it.