Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#72415 - 16/02/2002 20:29 anyone know anythign about fm modulators?
justinlarsen
old hand

Loc: Petaluma, CA
looking for some help with fm modulators

#72416 - 16/02/2002 22:32 Re: anyone know anythign about fm modulators? [Re: justinlarsen]
Terminator
old hand

Loc: Dallas, TX
Please post something more descriptive than that! What about them????

#72417 - 16/02/2002 22:39 Re: anyone know anythign about fm modulators? [Re: justinlarsen]
TheAmigo
enthusiast

The answer is 42.

What was the question?

#72418 - 16/02/2002 22:54 Re: anyone know anythign about fm modulators? [Re: TheAmigo]
justinlarsen
old hand

well i have a pioneer xm unit, thats fm modulated.. but the modulator has a stanrd 1/8in plug to the fm modularot.. coudl i just plug a 1/8 to rca? thats basically what im getting at.. so i could plug it into the aux in the empeg

#72419 - 16/02/2002 23:09 Re: anyone know anythign about fm modulators? [Re: justinlarsen]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Looking at pictures of Pioneer's XM equipment makes me think this is not a "stereo headphone jack." It seems there is nothing screened on the modulator to indicate what this port is used for. If it were a line-out I would expect it to say it on the equipment or in the specs because this would be a valuable feature. The only XM tuner I know of that has RCA outs is Sony's.

If you want to check, I would plug some cheap headphones in there and see what happens. It's better to harm a $2 pair of earbuds than your empeg or your car's speakers. I would expect this port to be some sort of data port (probably serial) for future controllers or remotes.

#72420 - 16/02/2002 23:21 Re: anyone know anythign about fm modulators? [Re: justinlarsen]
TheAmigo
enthusiast

Is it an HU or a small box like the empeg's tuner module? Do you have a link to the specific model's product info page or at least the model number?

If it's not an HU, then I'd guess that's designed to connect to the antenna in on your existing radio. The XM unit would recieve the satellite signal, decode it and rebroadcast as a pre-defined FM signal that your existing radio can tune in. Did this thing come with a manual? If this is the case, you could buy some kinda adapter and plug it in to the antenna input on the empeg's turner module and tune your empeg to whatever FM freq the XM reciever is outputting.

#72421 - 16/02/2002 23:21 Re: anyone know anythign about fm modulators? [Re: robricc]
justinlarsen
old hand

ya.. im just going to half to look around and try and figure something out .. there must be a way to convert it to rca.. im not super concerned about sound loss as its only radio.. but i would like it in my car since i have the unit

#72422 - 17/02/2002 01:16 Re: anyone know anythign about fm modulators? [Re: justinlarsen]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Well, the point of a unit with FM-modulator is that it can be used with a HU without RCA inputs, instead you feed the audio via the antenna connector.

Only way to get RCA outs (without involving another radio) is probably to hack into the hardware and see if there exists a line level signal somewhere in the signal path between satellite signal demodulation and the final FM modulation, and bring that out to new connectors.

/Michael

#72423 - 17/02/2002 01:27 Re: anyone know anythign about fm modulators? [Re: mtempsch]
justinlarsen
old hand

looks like im gunna be doing some hacking in that case.. thanks for the help..

#72424 - 17/02/2002 09:49 Re: anyone know anythign about fm modulators? [Re: justinlarsen]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I find it hard to believe that they'd make an add-on device which had only an FM-modulator output. That just doesn't make sense. There's got to be line level outs for that thing. Does anyone agree with me here?

#72425 - 17/02/2002 11:09 Re: anyone know anythign about fm modulators? [Re: tfabris]
justinlarsen
old hand

i agree tony.. i was looking around on the pionner site.. and i they have this ip-bus to rca converter.. but im not sure if the ip-bus will work without an ip-bus in.. just having the out.. here look. http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PioneerCanadaEng/CDA/CarProducts/POC_Eng_CarProductDetails/0,1825,90,00.html
they dont give much information about it.. but im going to give it a try.. i can get one for $30.. if not i knwo a friend who needs that part anyways.. ill be a nice friend and donate it to him if it dosnt work for me.. but i have a mission to get xm to work with my empeg without fm modulation since i dont have a tuner

#72426 - 17/02/2002 11:10 Re: anyone know anythign about fm modulators? [Re: justinlarsen]
justinlarsen
old hand

ill post my results when im done.. becuase im assuming they will work on any type of fm modulated system, like a cd changer or something.. not that anyone would want one

#72427 - 17/02/2002 11:27 Re: anyone know anythign about fm modulators? [Re: justinlarsen]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I can't access the site you linked to check this, but all I have to say is make sure this goes in the right "direction". Make sure it's a line-level output adapter, not an aux-in adapter for pioneer stereos.

#72428 - 17/02/2002 12:14 Re: anyone know anythign about fm modulators? [Re: tfabris]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Try this link, in the post above it was truncated/misinterpreted by the BBS code, but cut and paste of the complete url worked for me. The article number is CD-RB10

Description is as follows:

"Auxiliary Input Adaptors

CD-RB10
Auxiliary Input Adapter RCA for IP-Bus Headunits"

To me that's the description of a thing that plugs into the rear of your Pioneer HUs IP-bus connector and gives you RCA inputs.

I have no idea of how the Pioneer IP-bus works, so maybe this would give you RCA out from the XM module, but I doubt it.

/Michael

#72429 - 17/02/2002 12:42 Re: anyone know anythign about fm modulators? [Re: mtempsch]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Yup, I was afraid of that. Justin, that's an Aux-in adapter to plug into the back of a Pioneer CD player. Which is nice if that's the sort of thing you need, but I think you're describing a different need.

In any case, if your XM-radio module has an FM modulator included with it, that should work fine, too, so just use that. It means you have to tune your empeg to a specific frequency to hear it, but it will work.

#72430 - 17/02/2002 20:42 Re: anyone know anythign about fm modulators? [Re: tfabris]
justinlarsen
old hand

ya i know.. but no tuner for me.. is what im trying to get over.. i knwo hijack can force the player into tuner mode now.. maybe i can fix something up to make it stick in a channel ?

#72431 - 17/02/2002 21:08 Re: anyone know anythign about fm modulators? [Re: justinlarsen]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

but no tuner for me.. is what im trying to get over..

Oh, I see your problem now.

You sure that thing doesn't have a line-level output somewhere? Have you checked the manual?

I mean, I just can't fathom how a company would make an add-on XM radio product that wasn't designed to plug into the Aux-in of another head unit. Without a wide selection of upgrade paths for their users, how do they expect XM to catch on?

i knwo hijack can force the player into tuner mode now.. maybe i can fix something up to make it stick in a channel ?

Without any circuitry for actually pulling in and tuning the signal, there's no way you can make a radio signal go into the empeg. Your only other options are to (a) wait for a tuner module, or (b) hook up some other kind of radio tuner to the empeg's aux-in port, whether it be another head unit or even a portable FM radio of some kind.

#72432 - 17/02/2002 21:31 Re: anyone know anythign about fm modulators? [Re: tfabris]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
XM is a neat idea, but if the Empeg is a niche market, XM is a nook market. The one satellite provider even has the audacity to provide stations with commercials in them... When you're paying $10+ a month! Guh!

My prediction is that in a year, cars with 8-tracks in them will outnumber cars with XM radios.

#72433 - 18/02/2002 06:47 Re: anyone know anythign about fm modulators? [Re: tonyc]
justinlarsen
old hand

i dunno its pretty neat. but liek ive said in other post.. i got all the heardware for free i just pay the monthly.. big deal. and it is better than FM thats for sure.. and the comercials are mostly on the station xm uses from other companys like mtv, which xm has no control over.. they rarly do comercials on there own stations, i mean you pay for cable or satilite tv every month, and thats loaded with ad's? i mean i sell the xm radio at work.. and we sell more than i would have thought