Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#101777 - 27/06/2002 08:15 Is $500-600 a bit much for custom mounting work?
RobRoy
stranger

I have a 1999 Chevrolet Silverado truck (new body style), and if you are not familiar with the model, it has the infamous GM/Chrysler dash opening, which means you effectively have a single DIN location to replace the factory stereo.

In this particular model, just below the dash, there is a factory console (I can provide pics if it will help) in front of the cupholders that houses the factory CD player and a storage compartment that holds 4-5 CD jewel cases.

After taking it apart to discover how it was assembled, I consulted a local install shop. By my estimations, this factory console is more than large enough to house a double DIN stack. The only trick in all of it, which I am nowhere nearly skilled enough to do, is to strip the innards of this console, and reconstruct a suitable frame that will house either two single DIN or a double DIN opening.

My plan was to buy another bezel and the console from the dealership (so I can return it to stock at any time) and then have a shop perform the custom work of reconstructing the console to house the Empeg and perhaps another head unit in the future.

The installer claimed he knew what an Empeg was, but he couldn't seem get his head around the concept of why I wanted to do this. He kept saying "there are several head units out there that have multiple inputs" but what he never understood was that I still need a place to physically mount the Empeg. He finally shot me a quote of $500-600 (not including the new factory console and bezel to be modified to perform the work. The local dealership only wants a little over $100 for the replacement bezel and console) His price seems a little high to me, and I guess more than anything, the guy's attitude pissed me off. I felt like I was the customer, and I was willing to pay for what I wanted, it shouldn't be his concern to question the whys of what I wanted to accomplish.

So, I actually have two questions. As I have limited experience with custom work, is that quote unreasonable? I estimate that there would be a good 5-6 hours in removing the factory bracket and then rebuilding the housing to add 2 DIN openings.

Secondly, how does one actually find a qualified installer that is capable of quality workmanship? I know how to install head units quite well, and I am sure all the chains around here do too, but when it comes to truly custom stuff, there are not a lot of resources for locating quality installers.

Any advice/help would be GREATLY appreciated!

TIA,

Rob

#101778 - 27/06/2002 08:20 Re: Is $500-600 a bit much for custom mounting work? [Re: RobRoy]
ElectricD7

Loc: Indiana, USA
Rob,

That quote seems a bit high to me. We have a professional stereo shop here in town, and they only get 25/hour for all custom work. Meaning if the bezel was only 100, then they would need to fill 20 hours at $25/h to fit that quote! No respectable shop would charge that much. It seems like he may have given you a high quote because he didnt really understand what you wanted to do, and maybe just wanted to get rid of you. Where are you located at? Maybe someone here could recommend a better place, or perhaps help you do it yourself. Sounds like you would only need a dremel tool, some spare sheet metel, and some screws. Thats just my opinion.

#101779 - 27/06/2002 08:33 Re: Is $500-600 a bit much for custom mounting work? [Re: ElectricD7]
RobRoy
stranger

Thank you very much, and I do respect your opinon!

I am located in St. Louis, Missouri. I do think the guy priced it as a deterrent because he didn't want to do the work. Don't get me wrong, I place a high value on skill an people's time (because I value my own skills and time very much) but I also believe in being fair.

I will try to take some pics of it with my digital camera and post them. Hopefully, someone will be able to either direct me to someone that can do it, or at least point me in the right direction.

The cool thing is that I could more than likely ship the replacement bezel/console anywhere for the work to be done, I don't think my truck would actually have to go to the shop. As long as the external size/shape/mounting of the housing was left unaltered, it should be a "drop-in" installation.

Thanks Again, and I welcome any and all advice!

Rob

#101780 - 27/06/2002 19:45 Re: Is $500-600 a bit much for custom mounting work? [Re: RobRoy]
tracerbullet
addict

Loc: Minnesota
Did his quote include anything else though? Not a new bezel maybe, but perhaps some other electronic equipment?

It depends on exactly what they wanted to do for the price. If they spend several hours on it and use no new parts, it's a total ripoff, and should cost about $100 - $150. However, if they do a lot of work, including new MDF panels, vinyl, fiberglass, etc. and take two day on it - it's a perfectly normal price. Anything in between should be proportional to the first two opinions.

I really have to believe that there are some aftermarket parts already available for you. It seems everybody has some big GMC thing with a modded stereo among straight pipes and a few other things. I think if you search you'd likely find something for $100 or so that you could work on yourself.

www.crutchfield.com is a good place to start. They don't have the best prices in the world, but thet are at least as good as any Best Buy or Circuit City. What this site does have is one of the most stellar customer service teams I've ever seen, and they include a ton of "extras" (instructions, adapter pieces, etc.) with most anything you buy.

If you can give a better idea of what you'd like in the end, I'm sure it can be figured out around here.

#101781 - 27/06/2002 20:07 Re: Is $500-600 a bit much for custom mounting work? [Re: RobRoy]
thrasher
enthusiast

Check out my install in my new silverado its at the riocar.org in the instal section. They charged me one hundred to instal it with the tuner. My friend instaled his in the cd compartment inhis new silverado but its kind of hard to see down there