Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#16159 - 30/08/2000 19:44 2000 Jetta + monsoon
SuperQ
addict

Loc: Berlin, DE
Ok.. i've seen a bunch of posts, and talked to a couple people about jetta installs.. here's my version:

2000 Jetta GLS, Monsoon 8speaker upgrade option.

if you have the monsoon system, you have an external amp, that is decent, but has a couple of problems.

#1: the monsoon amp is expecting high level inputs, aprox 10-12 volts, so the output on the empeg is very quiet, compared to what you get out of the factory deck.

options: buy a pair of $120 (audio king) signal boosters, that will allow the output from the empeg to drive the mosoon amp just fine, you could get away with one booster, but you would loose front->rear fader control. or find a booster that supports 4 channels.

#2: the monsoon amp HATES the empeg being pluged in while it's active.. i think there are several problems here.. and may be a software fixable thing by the empeg guys.
options: I don't know yet, but the booster may solve this problem. I think the better solution is this.. if there is control over the amplifier powerup lead, don't init the amplifier untill the empeg is powered up, and ready to play.. the amp in the jetta powers up quickly (i also have used xtant amplifiers that take aprox 3-4 seconds too boot before supplying spekars with auido) also, when the empeg is supposed to be in power-off mode.. shut down the amplifier, so you can yank the head unit without poping the system. I had the amp freak out, and not produce audio 2 times, while doing the install, just by yanking the empeg and plugging it back in with the car off.. i had to wait several min before droping it back in.

all that said.. here's what I'm planning: total replacement of the monsoon system.

I purchased my jetta with the intent to re-do the audio system.. I ended up getting a deal with the dealer on a 2000 and not a 2001, so the cost of the monsoon was removed (another dealer had a car i wanted, but not in the color i wanted, but the one with the color i wanted had the monoson, decent tactict to get the price down :)
sooooooooooooo.. where was i..
I have the empeg installed, running on the monsoon amp currently, but this weekend (2nd of sept.) I will be installing a shiny new xtant 403a, and a subwoofer from a previous vehicle. what I'm going to try and figure out before the week is over, the exact wiring info for the factory speakers, so i don't have to source run all new wires to the speakers, so if i need to, installing the factory deck is simple as unplug amp, pull empeg, and re-install old equipment, no soldering, or cutting or anything. (wish me luck)

that said.. i'm off to bed, with dreams in empeg visuals, and monsoon connectors.

i wish I had a digital camera durring the fist part of the install.. oh well.. i will be getting one from a friend this weekend, so stay tuned to http://nerp.net/~ben/pix/car/empeg (it doesn't exist yet.. but will soon as i take some pics)

12gig green mk2 -- 080000125

#16160 - 31/08/2000 00:05 Re: 2000 Jetta + monsoon [Re: SuperQ]
teemcbee
addict

Generally something like a booster isn't a very good solution. You've got some noise on every signal. with the booster you boost the noise and also add some noise from the booster itself, too. Then with that boosted noise you go into the amp and boost it again....
Of course it isn't that bad but I think there's a difference in sound quality if you go directly to the amp or have some items between amp and empeg...

TeeMcBee
Got my Mk2! # 080000143

#16161 - 31/08/2000 13:41 Re: 2000 Jetta + monsoon [Re: SuperQ]
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
if there is control over the amplifier powerup lead, don't init the amplifier untill the empeg is powered up, and ready to play.

This is exactly what's built into the Mk2. Its amp-power-out is supposed to tell the amp fire up once the empeg has fully booted, and to shut down a few seconds before the empeg goes to sleep itself.

With your plans to replace the monsoon system, you'd probably not need this. Otherwise I'd suggest you try to feed its ignition feeler input from the 12V amp-out of the Mk2

Henno
mk2 6 nr 6

#16162 - 02/09/2000 09:06 Re: 2000 Jetta + monsoon [Re: teemcbee]
SuperQ
addict

Exactly my feeling.. uping the voltage, through a box, that is running off the battery, more noise.
I'm going to be replacing the standard factory 16guage line level wires with some nice monster cable.. over-rated, expensive.. but better than [censored] at radio shack :) I'm also getting a deal through the insurance company on everything..

#16163 - 02/09/2000 09:09 Re: 2000 Jetta + monsoon [Re: Henno]
SuperQ
addict

yep.. i know it's built into the empeg.. but I don't think it's programed properly.. I'm going to get out my voltmeter and see when exactly the switch the power on and off.. you _really_ don't want to do it by ignition. if you want to drop the empeg in while the car is hot, you want the amp off untill the empeg is booted

#16164 - 02/09/2000 09:32 Re: 2000 Jetta + monsoon [Re: SuperQ]
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
if you want to drop the empeg in while the car is hot, you want the amp off until the empeg is booted

I haven't tried this, but am willing to bet that the empeg won't tell the amp to fire up before it has fully booted itself.
When you have your muli-meter out, I'd check the wiring harness too to see if the wiring harness is connected properly.

I assume you have seen the posts about Volkswagen (incl Audi) seeming to (deliberately?? and) consistently switch around the ignition and 12V continuous in their ISO connector?

Henno
mk2 6 nr 6

#16165 - 02/09/2000 10:53 Re: 2000 Jetta + monsoon [Re: SuperQ]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
The empeg's amp remote is linked to the display power. When the display is on (ie, standby LED off) the amps are powered.

This is fine for power up & power down: on powerup, the display is not turned on for a few seconds which means the analogue outputs are stable. On power down the display is turned off a few seconds before it shuts main power down, keeping the outputs stable until the amp has died.

Hugo

#16166 - 16/09/2000 12:42 Re: 2000 Jetta + monsoon [Re: SuperQ]
SuperQ
addict

Another reply to my own post.. I havn't got the pics up yet.. because the guy with the camera is a lazy bastard.. hopefully i'll be able to steal his camera and get them off myself one of these days.

notes on other things with jetta ISO connectors, and the monosoon system:

after taking apart the monsoon amplifier, I discovered several things:

the VW ISOish connector has several problems.. some of which are allready known.. the memory/ignition lines are swaped.. that's easy to figure out.. what I found as well is that the amp remote line isn't really an amp remote line, it's a 2nd igniton line, to provide 2x the power to the head unit. and the monsoon amp HAS NO REMOTE POWER FUNCTION, it operates on the ignition line only. that's why you get nasty poping when removing the deck. so, it's going to be best to just get rid of the monsoon amplifier.
luckly the pairs for the different speakres (run individualy) are crossed over at the speaker level, and not by the amp. and are twisted, and different guage, so it's easy to tell which is which.. they run at about 5-6 ohms. you will have to splice and run an amp remote power line if you intend to use the VW iso connector.