Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#30225 - 26/04/2001 10:16 power detection bug again
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
Maaaaaaaan, just when i thought my empeg would be free and clear of all the problems others were having, i popped it into the sled yesterday in my car and it nearly blew my ears out. It took me a second to realize what had happened, so i pulled it out, pushed it back in, and sure enough it was booting up into the home configuration, logo wise, and no dimmer in settings. I was hoping it would go away with a sync, so i did so last night, but same thing again this morning. Here's the weird thing though... i was showing my carpoolee what was going on this morning on the drive to work, and i pulled it out of the sled, reinserted it, and it came up with the home logo as expected, and no dimmer. 15 minutes later, i looked back through the menues... and tada! Dimmer was there. WTF?! I don't get it. Either way, looks like i'm going to be sending it back for repairs (he says silently jumping up and down that he didn't open the case yet!).

|| loren.cox ||

#30226 - 26/04/2001 10:19 Re: power detection bug again [Re: loren]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
So, Hugo, I don't remember... Will future revisions of the Rio Car hardware use a different power detection method?

#30227 - 26/04/2001 13:08 Re: power detection bug again [Re: tfabris]
loren
carpal tunnel

Just went to lunch, and it was working normally. To others that have had this problem...How intermitent was it?

|| loren.cox ||

#30228 - 26/04/2001 13:22 Re: power detection bug again [Re: loren]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
To others that have had this problem...How intermitent was it?

You are aware of the cause of the problem, right? With that kind of a problem (intermittent connection of a physical switch), the intermittency can vary widely. Someone else's experience will probably be totally different than yours.

#30229 - 26/04/2001 13:29 Re: power detection bug again [Re: loren]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
just went to lunch, and it was working normally. To others that have had this problem...How intermitent was it?

I haven't had the problem... but isn't the problem caused by a fault in the A/C adapter socket on the empeg -- where the spring weakens or gets bent and the empeg then thinks the A/C power adapter is still plugged in even when it isn't?

In that case, if it's working normally in the car now, it should continue to do so until the next time you plug the A/C adapter into it.

On average, I plug/unplug my A/C adapter 5 times per week, since last August, and have had no problems. However, I am very careful when I do this, making sure to slide the plug in straight without side-loading the receptacle, as I know other people have had problems with the empeg's A/C socket.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#30230 - 27/04/2001 10:44 Re: power detection bug again [Re: tanstaafl.]
beaker
addict

Loc: England
I had this problem too (the thread is somewhere on the bbs) but it turned out to be a broken track on the pcb and not the usual problem with the socket. Hugo very kindly allowed me to go up to "Empeg Towers" and he fixed it while I waited (even after I nicked his parking space - tee hee). What jolly nice chaps they are.

beaker
12 gig blue

#30231 - 01/05/2001 21:13 Re: power detection bug again [Re: beaker]
loren
carpal tunnel

Sent my baby off today to the good old UK for repairs. God speed little 'puter!

|| loren.cox ||

#30232 - 02/05/2001 08:49 Re: power detection bug again [Re: loren]
beaker
addict

Loc: England
I hope you get it back soon, I'd hate to be without my baby for any length of time. I consider myself very fortunate that (a) I don't live that far away from Cambridge and (b) Hugo did it while I waited. Maybe your baby will send you a postcard from Blighty while he/she/it (delete as applicable) is here .

beaker
12 gig blue/magenta/orange/yellow (at the moment :-))