Beta 13 has really been released

Posted by: jarredduq

Beta 13 has really been released - 24/07/2002 12:11

Okay guys, the beta has been released for real this time...
http://www.empeg.com/cgi-bin/display.cgi?section=downloads&id=4
Posted by: tonyc

Re: Beta 13 has really been released - 24/07/2002 12:16

Wow. Yeah it has...

Edited to account for a wrinkle in the space-time continuum.
Posted by: Daria

Mirror available in AFS - 24/07/2002 12:25

/afs/dementia.org/distributions/empeg

For those of you with AFS clients.
Posted by: BartDG

Re: Mirror available in AFS - 24/07/2002 14:21

Yeah baby! This is great!

But after I'll install it, Hijack will be gone of course....

Hey, I wonder....can I just run the latest HiJack on it, or should I wait until Mark releases a "beta-13 certified" version of HiJack ?

Re: Mirror available in AFS - 24/07/2002 14:28

Mine's running developer 2.0b13 and hijack v281, so I guess so.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Mirror available in AFS - 24/07/2002 14:30

Remember that Mark's been running Beta12 for a long time with the rest of the alpha team. And this release is not very much different from Beta12.
Posted by: andym

Re: Mirror available in AFS - 24/07/2002 14:40

I just grabbed a copy of trevors version of hijack here. It beta 13 ready, v281 and it has FAT support thrown in for free!
Posted by: number6

Re: Beta 13 has really been released - 24/07/2002 14:47

Did Anyone notice this little comment in the Release Notes:
Not that anyone reads these things right before installing the software right?

In reply to:

The player now supports a partitioning scheme for the fids directory, which
should improve performance when rebuilding the database. The partitioning
works by e.g. FID 34da0 is placed in (e.g.) /driveN/fids/_00034/da0,
where N is 0 or 1, according to the player's normal rules. Essentially,
the number (in hex) is zero-padded to 8 characters (xxxxxyyy) and saved
as _xxxxx/yyy....

... Nothing new there you say, well you're right, but then the notes continue thusly...

In reply to:

Note that the player won't create directories of this form. A future version
of the player will.
This code was partially back-ported, in order to
allow v2.0 betas to work correctly on players which had music added by v2.1
player code.

The mention of version 2.1 of the Player software is interesting - I gather from that that the player software is being used for products other than EOL'ed Empegs - but the software is indeed able to run on the said EOL'ed empegs.

Hmm, interesting - if nothing else this as yet unknown (by me anyway) project may help keep us in newer software versions for a bit longer when and if the team find time to backport the code, package it up as a 'release' and put it out there.

So perhaps: "one day there will be lemon soaked paper napkins..."

Oops, I meant [apologies to Douglas Adams]

"One day there will be a Empeg replacement- until then, return to your Empegs".
Posted by: thinfourth2

Re: Beta 13 has really been released - 24/07/2002 14:48

Arse away on a course with only them mobile for net access

arse feck drink

arse
Posted by: tman

Re: Beta 13 has really been released - 24/07/2002 14:54

Rob said what the 2.1 player is for here

- Trevor
Posted by: andym

Re: Beta 13 has really been released - 24/07/2002 14:54

Fret not dear sir, when beta 11 came out, both of my empegs were away at Davids being fixed. I had to wait nearly a whole week before I got them back. Needless to say I had the upgrade files and emplode downloaded and ready to go.
I've got 13 on now, and honestly can't tell the difference! I've not seen any new features jump out at me yet! You never know 13 could hose your player (which I doubt very much) and you'll be the only one with your FIDs intact! (oo er!!!)

Re: Beta 13 has really been released - 24/07/2002 14:56

The mention of version 2.1 of the Player software is interesting - I gather from that that the player software is being used for products other than EOL'ed Empegs - but the software is indeed able to run on the said EOL'ed empegs.

Elsewhere on this BBS, Rob mentioned that their low-level playback engine has been undergoing more changes for other projects. A recent rewrite has allowed it to become more modular, in theory allowing just about any new codec to be added at a later date.

This version of the code is not in the released beta 13. It's running on an internal build that they seem to have named "2.1" based on reading the release notes.
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: Beta 13 has really been released - 24/07/2002 14:56

My sincerest thanks to the Cambridge guys. I appreciate your efforts to continue to enhance this even after the EOL.
I love you guys *sniffle*.
Posted by: tgnb

oh my god!!!! - 24/07/2002 15:05

What? NO crossfading? No OGG Vorbis support? What the hell???
Hehe i'm sorry ... I couldnt help it ... just kidding guys.

Thanks very much for the new release and all the bugfixes and enhancements.

Re: Beta 13 has really been released - 24/07/2002 15:06

There's no changes in the kernel of any significance if you've already been running the Hijack kernel The only difference between v2.00b11+v281 and v2.00b13+v281 is a time delay in the flash code is slightly longer in v2.00b13.

I took out the duplicated bugfixes from the Hijack patch and used the official version instead.

- Trevor

Re: Beta 13 has really been released - 24/07/2002 15:12

There's no changes in the kernel of any significance if you've already been running the Hijack kernel

I have this lingering hope that putting the player in "clock" mode will no longer crash the player software. If not, well, I guess I'll send a bug, since I don't remember if I did last time (but we did discuss it here )

Re: Beta 13 has really been released - 24/07/2002 15:15

The clock-crash thing is on the internal bug list, but has it been verified as a software bug? Has anyone else experienced it?

Does anyone else leave the clock up all the time?

Re: Beta 13 has really been released - 24/07/2002 15:19

How does one verify it as a software bug? It happens with more than one piece of hardware, running more than one version of the (stock, no hijack) software. As far as I'm concerned that's all I can do.

Re: Beta 13 has really been released - 24/07/2002 15:23

As far as I'm concerned that's all I can do.
Well, not really. Maybe I'll get some free time and actually try to debug it. But the point is that should be good enough to exhibit that it's the player app and not something else.

Re: Beta 13 has really been released - 24/07/2002 15:24

Yeah, but one person on the thread reported that it never happened to one of his boxes, yet it did happen to the other one.
Posted by: drakino

Re: Beta 13 has really been released - 24/07/2002 15:27

arse feck drink

LOL, I wonder how many other people here understand this reference
Posted by: Janosch

Re: Beta 13 has really been released - 24/07/2002 15:55

Cool. The best MP3-Player ever build got even better.
Posted by: mlord

Re: Beta 13 has really been released - 24/07/2002 16:19

Aww.. darn. Still has the plain vanilla vuback.raw file.

But the rest is nice.
Posted by: F0X

Re: Beta 13 has really been released - 24/07/2002 16:37

In reply to:

arse feck drink

Considering there is a large british contingent here, I would think quite a few. I am sure there are lots of us others aswell.

Re: Beta 13 has really been released - 24/07/2002 16:39

I guess the good question would be how many people outside the UK understand this. I just got done watching Season 1 and 2 DVDs a few weeks back, a coworker got me hooked. I'm now going to try and catch Season 3 on BBC America.

Re: Beta 13 has really been released - 24/07/2002 16:46

I work offshore and most of the crew is British. That is the only reason I have seen any of them. Not really an American network style show.

Re: Beta 13 has really been released - 24/07/2002 17:10

Yeah, but one person on the thread reported that it never happened to one of his boxes, yet it did happen to the other one.

Still, not a hardware problem with one box. I could and probably should spend some time on it, but I don't have much, and it's one of those things where even if I can guess what's wrong, there's a high probability of "now what"?
Posted by: Phoenix42

Re: Beta 13 has really been released - 24/07/2002 18:25

Thanks to the lads I've had my fun. (S2:E9)
Posted by: Diznario

Re: Beta 13 has really been released - 24/07/2002 21:53

Mark & the rest of the crew,

OK, so I've got 2.0b13, and Hijack 283. I've got the knob press redefined to "Info", so I can cycle through the different modes, but I also want to use the seek tool...

As you may have already figured out, this combination doesn't work. If the knob press has been redefined, then it's impossible to change the seek tool into "seek mode".

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

EDIT: I just also want to add that I really like the fact that the seek tool can now be toggled on and off like that. Very cool.
Posted by: Diznario

Re: Beta 13 has really been released - 24/07/2002 23:28

I just noticed a cool new feature in beta13 that's not in the readme...

New flancedoor moves!

*continues browsing*
Posted by: frog51

Re: Beta 13 has really been released - 25/07/2002 01:37

Wimmin's knickers!
Posted by: mlord

Re: Beta 13 has really been released - 25/07/2002 18:21

Okay, I've fixed this for v284.

I'll post the release announcement in the Programming Forum.

Cheers
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Beta 13 has really been released - 26/07/2002 14:50

arse feck drink

I think I've figured out that it's from Father Ted, right? Folks seem to like it, so I recorded an episode last night, and it may be one of the least funny episodes of TV I've ever seen. I mean, it had a plot that I Love Lucy would have been embarrassed to shoot. Is this just an odd bad episode or should I just forget about it?

Re: Beta 13 has really been released - 26/07/2002 17:28

I personally can't stand it but then again, some of my friends love the programme. *shrug*

Mrs Doyle annoys the hell out of me

- Trevor

Re: Beta 13 has really been released - 27/07/2002 02:59

Folks seem to like it, so I recorded an episode last night, and it may be one of the least funny episodes of TV I've ever seen.

We're sorry, but we are experiencing some technical problems.

The problem should be corrected within a hour or so. Please try back later.

With that, I'm not sure what episode you saw. Some are really great, but others have been somewhat less interesting. Of course, the show could be like many others where there is just a small cult liking of it, while the rest of the world looks on with amazement that anyone could like it.

I'll let you know what I thought of the episode that you caught once the above link works again.

Re: Beta 13 has really been released - 27/07/2002 03:17

When beta 11 came out i was on a ship in Australia so i went up the road found the only computer shop within 500 miles and finally managed to convice the guys there to let me use there internet connection and after showing them the empeg sites they let me get a copy of beta 11 burnt onto a cd

Re: Beta 13 has really been released - 27/07/2002 05:38

Well I am stuck on a ship right now, and for the first time I dont have my empeg with me. That serves me right for leaving the empeg at home. Now I have to wait 4 more weeks to play with all these new toys

Re: Beta 13 has really been released - 27/07/2002 05:44

I always take my empeg on a ship with me that is what i bought it for.

But i am going to nigeria this time so i think i will take the riot instead more disposable than a empeg.
Posted by: Guschti

Re: Beta 13 has really been released - 29/07/2002 15:49

Hi,
I just upgraded version beta 2-11 to 2-13 and installed the emplode tool v13 too on a fresh XP system.
When I power up the empeg and connect with emplode (USB) everything works but if I connect again (or do a sync - where a "reconnect" happens also because the empeg reboots) I get a "failed to open database" error 0x80040015.

When I power off and power on the empeg I can connect again - or I can unplug and replug the USB cable.

Could this be a v13 bug or is it just XP?
any help?
Posted by: Roger

Re: Beta 13 has really been released - 30/07/2002 05:40

If it's USB and XP -- you're lucky that it works at all. USB connections to the car player under XP usually don't work.
Posted by: boxer

Re: Beta 13 has really been released - 30/07/2002 06:08

That would be an ecumenical matter
Posted by: frog51

Re: Beta 13 has really been released - 30/07/2002 08:02

Down with that sort of thing!
Posted by: Guschti

Re: Beta 13 has really been released - 30/07/2002 09:02

What about making the empeg windows tool (or at least the driver) open source?
I have experience in driver programming under win32 systems. (WDM)
Posted by: g_attrill

Re: Beta 13 has really been released - 30/07/2002 12:41

In reply to:

If it's USB and XP -- you're lucky that it works at all. USB connections to the car player under XP usually don't work.

Wow, I have no problems here at all - though I only use it occasionally on USB. I had more problems connecting it to my 2000 machine at work.

Gareth