RCA plugs - photo wanted

Posted by: CrackersMcCheese

RCA plugs - photo wanted - 31/07/2002 04:08

Has anyone got a decent photo of how the RCA plugs at the rear of the Empeg connect to the mainboard?

Thanks
Posted by: rob

Re: RCA plugs - photo wanted - 31/07/2002 04:32

Erm, they are PCB mounted.. why?

Rob

Re: RCA plugs - photo wanted - 31/07/2002 04:52

i think one has come loose and if its simple, I can just solder it myself. A photo would be useful just so I know.
Posted by: David

Re: RCA plugs - photo wanted - 31/07/2002 06:31

If you are getting intermittent problems it can be caused by a thin track on the PCB that is prone to stress damage.

Re: RCA plugs - photo wanted - 31/07/2002 07:14

Yeah, the RCA sockets are quite loose. Is this a major problem? Or just a bit of solder needed.

If I only use it in the car then I'll never need to fix it though, is that right?
Posted by: lastdan

Re: RCA plugs - photo wanted - 31/07/2002 17:28

are the two RCA jacks on the unit 'live' when in DC mode?
Posted by: tfabris

Re: RCA plugs - photo wanted - 31/07/2002 17:53

Yes. And vice-versa.
Posted by: peter

Re: RCA plugs - photo wanted - 01/08/2002 03:21

Yeah, the RCA sockets are quite loose. Is this a major problem? Or just a bit of solder needed.

You do have a Mark 2/2a, right? On a Mark 1 the RCA sockets weren't PCB mounted and one did indeed come loose on mine eventually. I don't see how a Mark 2's sockets could come loose in a non-catastrophic situation.

If I only use it in the car then I'll never need to fix it though, is that right?

Well, if it's a Mark 1, you don't want it (or its wires) to come off and start shorting against stuff.

Peter

Re: RCA plugs - photo wanted - 01/08/2002 03:26

Its a Mk IIa. I have a spare car mount so I'll just plug it in there and take the RCA leads off the mount into the hifi.

Its not worth me opening the player and soldering if its not going to pose a problem for the unit.
Posted by: peter

Re: RCA plugs - photo wanted - 01/08/2002 03:59

Its a Mk IIa. I have a spare car mount so I'll just plug it in there and take the RCA leads off the mount into the hifi.

That's not ideal as the car-mount RCA outputs are 4V (the car standard) whereas the "real" RCA outputs are 1V (the everywhere-else standard that your hifi will be expecting).

Peter

Re: RCA plugs - photo wanted - 01/08/2002 04:10

Right. Could this damage the empeg? Or would it just distort sound?
Posted by: rob

Re: RCA plugs - photo wanted - 01/08/2002 05:24

In fact it is often preferable to use the car outputs - most amps deal OK with the output level, which is more in line with most CD decks than the home outputs.

Rob
Posted by: mrfixit

Re: RCA plugs - photo wanted - 01/08/2002 09:34

Some old home cd players had a very high output compared to the ones today, but the sound was still fine... you just wont have to turn the volume on your stereo up as much.
Posted by: maczrool

Re: RCA plugs - photo wanted - 01/08/2002 14:29

Isn't it the voltage that determines the volume, not the current?

Stu
Posted by: eternalsun

Re: RCA plugs - photo wanted - 01/08/2002 17:11

For a line-out yes, since it is used to modulate an amp.

Calvin