Rsync Tutorial

Posted by: Neutrino

Rsync Tutorial - 05/11/2002 13:05

I am preparing to upload a document to help those of us with limited Linux and Rsync experience. It will give detailed instructions on how to use Rsync to clone two empegs. It will also give a small primer on LInux and many of the Linux commands a person should know in order to have a better understanding of Rsync and the empeg OS in general. It is aimed at those of us that are Windows based. My question is: Is it ethically or legally wrong for me to include a tarball containing all of the files needed. This would include Elvis, a bunch of libararies, rsync, netcat, hostname, etc. etc.
I don't want to do anything wrong. Also if it is OK for me to use the tarball I made is there a place were I can upload it to so people can access it. It is about 620K.

Suggestions and comments are appreciated.

Thanks
Posted by: bodybag

Re: Rsync Tutorial - 05/11/2002 13:32

I don't know anything about the legality of this but you are welcome to host the "Tarball" on our website if necessary. I would be interested in this entire arrangement anyway since I am one of "those of us with limited Linux and Rsync experience". Let me know if you need the webspace.
Posted by: genixia

Re: Rsync Tutorial - 05/11/2002 14:03

If it's all GPL or LGPL software, then go for it. You will have to make the sources available too though, and make sure that you include a copy of the GPL license. It might be an idea to also include links to the software maintainers home pages where the source hasn't been changed in any way.

Re: Rsync Tutorial - 05/11/2002 14:17

I know this is off topic for this thread, but I forgot to mention I just noticed your signature say's you have a '67 Dart convertible, right on! I'm a Chevy guy myself, but all my buddies are Mopar heads. I'm surrounded by many Mopars on a regular basis. Post a pic if you have one readily available, I'd like to check it out.
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: Rsync Tutorial - 05/11/2002 15:12

You can host it on my webserver if you'd like. I'm already running a hijack mirror at www.empeg-hijack.com. I can put it on that domain or get another domain for it.
Posted by: loren

Re: Rsync Tutorial - 05/11/2002 15:34

Just wanted to drop a note that i'm eagerly awaiting this tutorial. I'm about to want to clone my empegs, and this would save me the effort of digging through the BBS to get a good idea of how to do it. THANKS a ton for the time you've put into it!

Re: Rsync Tutorial - 05/11/2002 18:20

Thanks, I don't think it should be too hard to find. I'll see what I can put together.

Re: Rsync Tutorial - 05/11/2002 18:22

I won't pass up any chances to show off my second true love.
Posted by: Roger

Re: Rsync Tutorial - 06/11/2002 03:39

There's always my page on the subject. It will probably need more explanation to make a good tutorial, but it's a start.

It's at http://www.differentpla.net/~roger/empeg/car/rsync.html

Re: Rsync Tutorial - 06/11/2002 09:42

Nice Dart!!! I've always liked that dark metallic green. My '70 Z28 is that color. Thanks for the peek!