empeg tuner and RDS/RBDS data interpretation

Posted by: sts103

empeg tuner and RDS/RBDS data interpretation - 11/11/2002 17:20

I have been enjoying fm radio on my empeg. When I was operating a GM car equipped with an RDS radio, I noticed that the station i.d. was different for most radio stations in the Toronto area. For example, one radio station was identified on the gm (delco) radio as "Top 40". With the empeg tuner I would get "Cultural". Station call letters (or name) was correctly displayed on both systems. The empeg tuner provided more information (scrolling ads) than the gm rds radio.

Are the differences the result of data interpretation in the empeg tuner software? Could this be a difference between RDS and RBDS in Europe?

Adrian
Posted by: robricc

Re: empeg tuner and RDS/RBDS data interpretation - 11/11/2002 17:30

I mentioned this a long time ago (within the first month of the tuners shipping) and nothing came of it. My parents Audi shows "Talk" as WNEW's format, while the empeg says "Sports." Talk is correct.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: empeg tuner and RDS/RBDS data interpretation - 11/11/2002 17:35

Yeah, my local "K-zeppelin" station says "DRAMA".

WTF, empeg guys?
Posted by: rob

Re: empeg tuner and RDS/RBDS data interpretation - 11/11/2002 17:42

Maybe US stations use different programme codes. In the case of stations with very limited RDS support (i.e. most of them) I'd suspect they haven't even configured the PTY.

I must admit I've never noticed the empeg display PTY anywhere. It used to have search by PTY on an internal build but I didn't realise anything had been released.

Rob