Acceptable Mounting Angle

Posted by: DBALKUNJR

Acceptable Mounting Angle - 23/01/2003 12:40

I would like to install my spare sled in my Jeep Wrangler. I have an aftermarket security console that is made to mount a car stereo vertically. I remember reading that the Empeg had to be mounted horizontal or within +/- 15 degrees. Would mounting the unit vertically greatly affect the drive life or the shock mounting? Otherwise I may just be forced to use the Aux in and hook up my Ipod to the existing aftermarket deck.

Dave
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Acceptable Mounting Angle - 23/01/2003 12:44

Mine's been mounted in my '87 BMW 325e, which has an inverse mounting angle (the face of the empeg points very slightly down), for a couple of years with no apparent ill effects.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Acceptable Mounting Angle - 23/01/2003 12:45

FAQ Entry.
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: Acceptable Mounting Angle - 23/01/2003 16:44

I've been running mine at about a 40 degree angle for over a year with no problems.
Posted by: matthew_k

Re: Acceptable Mounting Angle - 23/01/2003 16:58

Well, with hard drive prices coming down every day, I don't see any reason why not to try it, and just figure that you're shortening the life of your drive... If your drives keep dieing, you might want to consider a different solution.

matthew
Posted by: DBALKUNJR

Re: Acceptable Mounting Angle - 24/01/2003 11:11

Thanks for the info. It would be an expensive experiment to try since the aftermarket console costs like $250. I think I'll just suffer by plugging my IPOD into the aux in on my CD deck as this is not my primary vehicle, just summer ride.
Posted by: mcomb

Re: Acceptable Mounting Angle - 24/01/2003 15:34

It would be an expensive experiment to try since the aftermarket console costs like $250.

Your talking about the Tuffy console right? Have you considered their overhead console instead? The mounting angle would still be a bit off since it angles down, but at least it wouldn't be totally vertical.

-Mike