Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort

Posted by: schofiel

Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 26/01/2003 08:41

I'm starting to get ready for the next meet, and already Rob has indicated that many of the empeg/Riocar team are interested in coming over - how about you?

He's hinting at bringing some pretty stunning new stuff over (much more than ever before) in the form of new prototypes and software: it even looks as if Hugo, the guy who started this whole thing, might be able to make it with some seriously special automotive Jewellery (the expensive, fast, rorty kind of course ).

So to kick things off, I want to ask you to express a preference for the weekened when it should be held. I am aware that there are many people who have study and exam obligations in June (the previous time of the event) which makes it difficult to attend. So in order to make sure as many people who would like to come can in fact do so, could I have your opinion on the choice of weekend when it will be held?

Let me know what your preferences are, if possible before the end of February, 2003.
Posted by: peter

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 26/01/2003 09:19

June 27/28/29 would clash with Glastonbury Festival 2003 (if it eventually gets approved), which would cause many of Planet Empeg a conflict of loyalties which I think we'd all rather avoid...

Peter
Posted by: robricc

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 26/01/2003 10:47

Not that anyone but me cares, but the New York SAAB Owener's Club is planning a Saab run for the middle of July. This is no ordinary run. It starts in New York and goes through parts of Canada. Me, being an officer of the club, cannot afford to miss this monumental run.

So, if both events conflicted, I would have to do the Saab event. Just letting you guys know.

I voted the first choice.
Posted by: genixia

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 26/01/2003 10:53

July 4th is celebrated by the Yanks... I don't know whether that'd have an impact..
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 26/01/2003 11:10

It's not usually a Christmas-like get together with all your extended family thing, though. It's usually just a get a day off work and go cook on a grill in your backyard and watch sports type thing. So I doubt if anyone would be too conflicted about it.
Posted by: johnmcd3

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 26/01/2003 13:07

I put July 4/5/6, but now realize I could just as easily do June 13/14/15.

I'd like to come to this one!
Posted by: thinfourth2

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 26/01/2003 14:32

I put the 4th july as i would definatly be able to make it back for that date.

I will be bringing my father with me so if anyone wants a really cool empeg stand he is the man to see if you have looked at my pics on riocar.org

For those that haven't been before go the last one was fantastic
Posted by: StigOE

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 26/01/2003 14:57

I voted for June 13/14/15 since I'm off for work 25th of June and whole of July, and I'd really like to be there (and I could also visit a friend of mine that lives just a half-hour away and he's been nagging me to come visit him for the last year... ).

Stig
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 26/01/2003 16:15

I'd love to come up to an empeg meet. But, where is Amersfoort? I'm too lazy to type it in Google, but I'm betting it's in the UK (or further from the US). If I can drive there from the US, I'll be there. If not, well, I'll still try

Did anyone make that empeg headphone adapter thing so I could listen to my empeg on the go without the car? That would be essential to an overseas trip. Oh, and how does an empeg work with a US-to-UK power converter? Or wait, IS there a power adapter conversion? I forget. Haven't been to the UK in like 9 years.

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 26/01/2003 16:24

That would be in the Netherlands. (Or is it ``The Netherlands''?)

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 26/01/2003 16:47

Unforch, it requires an Atlantic crossing to NL - but the cheese and beer is worth it. Ask all the previous visitors about the Ribs Party and the Barbecue with local beer, fireworks and a Gas-powered cannon. Patrick (pca, aka God of tuner and empeg designer fame) may bring his VR remote control car to combat Mini Mini Me (who is getting a new coat of paint for this year's event). Not to mention the treasure hunt and all the new prototypes that I am not allowed to talk about due to the NDA I've just had to sign...

Think about it - you may even enjoy it! Melissa and Jason, are you coming over again? Tony Fabris - you should be here, bring the family! And Damn it Doug - bring the bicycle over for us to see. Rob Riccardelli is coming, what about you?
Posted by: SuperQ

Yanks - 26/01/2003 16:48

It's also a great day for Yanks who are tired of living here to get the hell out of the country, and goto .eu. I'm up for either June 14, or July 4th.

The only thing I wonder is how far out of Amsterdam this is. I'm not finding any decent maps in 5min of googling

BTW.. Yanks.. want to get together on places to stay?

Re: Yanks - 26/01/2003 16:55

48 km (about 35 miles) from Schiphol airport, direct train connection to a local station about 500 m from the hotel where the event is held. From Amsterdam it's about 42 km (about 30 miles).

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 26/01/2003 16:57

With luck we could get god and the lord together
Posted by: Centrknol

Re: Yanks - 26/01/2003 16:59

shellgeostar
About an hour with the car. Train is preferable if you're comming by plane.....

Greetings, Robert

Re: Yanks - 26/01/2003 17:09

I don't think I'm going to get my Jetta there.. but trains are nice.

That URL didn't work right in mozilla.. but it's no biggie.

I wonder what it would cost to get a boat from .uk to .nl

Re: Yanks - 26/01/2003 17:23

Not a lot, depending on the time you travel and which route you take (Calais, Ostend, Vlissingen, Hoek van Holland). We last paid GBP 150 for a car with 4 passengers over Christmas via Calais (9 days) plus about a tank of petrol (about GBP 50)
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 26/01/2003 17:52

Tony Fabris - you should be here, bring the family!

I know, things didn't work out last year, maybe things will work out better this year. I'll keep it in mind. I'm placing my date vote now.
Posted by: phaigh

Re: Yanks - 27/01/2003 01:08

Although I didn't make it to the last one, I did to the one before, And I flew over from the UK (I know), but the trains were fantastic actually.

It was a blast, although I didn't make it to all the evening events, etc.

Hopefully I can make it this year, and bring the car (and g/f)!

Paul.
Posted by: Roger

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 27/01/2003 04:18

Ask all the previous visitors about the Ribs Party and the Barbecue with local beer, fireworks and a Gas-powered cannon

Or see the pictures, here.
Posted by: BartDG

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 27/01/2003 06:53

I've put down july 4th, for the reason you stated yourself in your first post in this thread !
Posted by: boxer

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 27/01/2003 07:08

Do you know if there's a motorhome/caravan park in striking distance, I may well prefer to do that and go on to do a week or two's touring? If you don't know straight off, don't spend time looking, I'll get the caravan club on to the job, it's what I pay the subscription for.
Posted by: frog51

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 27/01/2003 10:03

June 13/14/15 - definitely a no go - I have to defend my title as the jammy get who got drunk and still skippered the only Scottish boat in a field of 40 to victory in last years EY Solent challenge.

Quite fancy July though - if I can persuade the wife.
Posted by: pca

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 27/01/2003 10:57

At the moment, I'm fairly open for any date EXCEPT 27/28/29th June, not because of Glastonbury but because of Friedrichshafen (the huge radio rally there, of course).

pca

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 27/01/2003 11:07

I'd like to come. I've not yet been able to attend a empeg meeting and this looks like a good fit for me in theory. Plus, I haven't been to Europe in ages and it's time I went again.

However, I can't immediately find a way to get there that's less than about $1000 a person, and that might count me out. Does anyone know a cheap way to get there from Raleigh, NC? Even the direct flights from Raleigh to Gatwick are $1000. Maybe someone knows a cheap way to do that? It might be interesting to take the London to Amersfoort trip on the ground.

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 27/01/2003 11:55

I was looking up fares last night and it looks like KLM is offering the best rates currently at ~$830 per ticket with a stop in London or Manchester. This is leaving from New York.

Travelocity is giving me a price of about $1000 for a Continental flight that goes straight to AMS. I will probably book that carrier because I can use their President's Club and live like a fat-cat a few minutes before my flight.

I have a couple questions though.
  • I usually rent cars with National because they allow under 25 year-olds to rent. I think National goes by a different name in Europe, but does anyone know the age requirement for car rentals in Europe?
  • Do people in NL speak English?
  • Left-hand or Right-hand drive? I need to know to determine if I rent a car with manual or auto.
  • Warm beer or cold?

I think that's about it for now. I am pretty certain I will be renting a car. I don't take public transportation in my own country, let alone a country where I don't understand the language/currency.

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 27/01/2003 12:10

Surprisingly, you might find it cheaper by flying to Frankfurt, and either connecting to Amsterdam, or catching an ICE to Amsterdam (yea! 180+ km/h in a train!). Alternatively, try flights into Brussels with a Thalys TGV connection to Amsterdam. From AMS, there is relatively easy car hire or direct trains to Amersfoort Schothorst (where the event is).

I suspect it would be worthwhile trying to book as early as possible: also, a block booking from a group of people travelling may also bring the price down somewhat, but you would need to make pretty quick decisions and coordinate it together.

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 27/01/2003 12:14

I'll have to check about car rentals for you.

Everyone in NL speaks English - with embarassing competence...

All cars here will be left hand drive: I think you might find that car hire is more expensive than in the States, and you might not easily be able to get automatics - again, I'll have to check. If you come into the airport at Schiphol, hiring a car should be no effort: look at the Schiphol website.

The beer can be any temperature you like - at the barbecue, it will be cold, don't worry!!

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 27/01/2003 12:17

As long as the wheel is on the left side, I can drive a manual. I will call up National in a few minutes to ask them about age.

Yes, I am getting excited.

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 27/01/2003 12:18

There are camping and motorhome sites all over NL, very good ones indeed (the Dutch virtually live in caravans on holiday, and to my fellow residents in NL who are reading this this is a compliment, not sarcasm!!). In Amersfoort there are three very good ones within about 4 km of the event site: there are others within a 10 km radius. There are in each major town usually a number of very good campsites: if you want to bring the motorhome, then I doubt there will be any problems with you parking at the event itself - there's a HUGE car park, chosen specifically for that reason....

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 27/01/2003 12:21

So round $1000 is a ``reasonable'' price for a US-to-Europe round trip? It just feels like I should be able to get one for a lot cheaper than that. But I haven't been to Europe in ages, so maybe I'm just deluding myself.
Posted by: pim

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 27/01/2003 12:27

If you can get a cheap flight to London, you may consider flying the last bit with EasyJet.

National car rentals do exist, although they'r not very popular. They have a booth at Schiphol Airport, though.
Minimum age is usually 21 years. Consider Avis and EasyCar too.
Most rental cars are manual, you'd have to pay considerably more for an automatic.

Pim

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 27/01/2003 12:27

In case anyone else needs to know, there is a 6 Euro per day surcharge for renters under 25 in Amsterdam. Minimum renter's age is 21 and maximum is 75.

Compare that 6 Euro/day with $25/day I pay in the states and it's a good deal. This from National Car Rental by the way.

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 27/01/2003 12:32

National car rentals do exist, although they'r not very popular.

They are very popular with me. As far as I can see, they will always have my business. In the US, it is common for car rental companies to not rent to under 25 year-olds period. Because National will rent to me now, they have my customer loyalty. I am even an Emerald Club member for them.
Posted by: Geoff

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 27/01/2003 12:47

I have intended to get to each Euro meet as it has come around, but events (or the emptiness of my bank account!) have always conspired against me - such is the cruel hand of fate

I voted for the original date in June, because I don't think any of the dates in July will be convenient. July 18th - 20th might be a possibility, but I guess I'll have to wait and see how the vote goes... fingers crossed!
Posted by: genixia

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 27/01/2003 13:35

Bitt, also look at indirect (from this end) flights - DC might be a good choice.

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 27/01/2003 13:46

Oh, my lord. Going to Frankfurt or Amsterdam would cost well less than $400, about a third of the cost to fly to London. Whodathunk? What would be the cost of transportation to Amersfoort from Frankfurt or Amsterdam? Maybe I could rent a car and drive.

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 27/01/2003 13:46

Indirect didn't seem to make a load of difference.

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 27/01/2003 14:34

Lowest price to fly into Frankfurt is $615 for me. Flying into Amsterdam is at least $830.

Frankfurt seems to be a 6+ hour drive away from Amersfoort.
Posted by: jimhogan

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 27/01/2003 14:36

What would be the cost of transportation to Amersfoort from Frankfurt or Amsterdam? Maybe I could rent a car and drive.

Anytime I got to scope out train schedules in Europe, I go to DB's schedule Web page. It includes many schedules outside of Germany. I think you could get a train right from Schiphol to Amersfoort. Frankfurt, too, but longer probably with a change or two. In any case, it is ridiculously easy to change to the train at both of those airports.

Dang, I have to go to Dublin from about July 5 to the 13th for a wedding, but if I tried to sneak away for a meet, I might get shot by the mother of the groom.

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 27/01/2003 14:45

Actually, it looks like it's only about 60km from Amsterdam to Amersfoort, so I might just drive. (Assuming I can come.) I'd rather do that anyway, I think.

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 27/01/2003 14:50

Huh. You're around New York, right? (Hmmm. Stony Point?) That's odd, because Orbitz shows me a flight fron RDU to JFK to AMS for $415 a person.

I'm looking at July 3 - July 10 (so I can do aome other vacationing at the same time). I see similar things from JFK (via other cities or not).

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 27/01/2003 14:52

Any ideas about the rules for driving in the Netherlands? Do I have to apply for some international license or anything? Where can I read a manual for road signs, markings, etc.?

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 27/01/2003 14:59

just checked Orbitz and I got Air France for $540.

JFK -> Paris -> AMS

That's the best deal yet. I checked them last night and they were more expensive. By the way, I have been consistently checking June 12-16.

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 27/01/2003 15:06

Wow. I'm definitely voting for July 4, then. Flights are way cheaper for some reason.

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 27/01/2003 15:10

Now the prices are back up to $1000 all around. What's the deal?

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 27/01/2003 15:26

The pricing is definitely fluctuating a lot.

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 27/01/2003 15:31

What's the deal?

I've had the impression for a long time that, instead of the normal solutions such as Postgres or MySQL, airline booking web sites are instead all backed by one little bloke in the back room of a souk bar somewhere in North Africa, rolling an enormous number of twenty-sided dice.

Peter

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 27/01/2003 15:32

Any ideas about the rules for driving in the Netherlands? Do I have to apply for some international license or anything? Where can I read a manual for road signs, markings, etc.?

AAA has a generic signage guide. No special license needed (in all of EU, I think). IMO, if you can remember one sign -- the white bar on red DO NOT ENTER -- you are good to go! Seriously, the prohibitive signs are usually intuitive enough to keep you out of danger, and most folks can make their way without too much stress or time getting lost...

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 27/01/2003 15:36

I'm pretty sure he's rolling something in addition to dice.

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 27/01/2003 16:12

yep.. it looks like all the flights for me (msp to ams) are $1200-$1300. I think I'm going to use the excuse to take a longer vacation in ams, and use my frequent flier miles.. free ticket yay!
Posted by: djc

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 27/01/2003 16:18

I've had the impression for a long time that, instead of the normal solutions such as Postgres or MySQL, airline booking web sites are instead all backed by one little bloke in the back room of a souk bar somewhere in North Africa, rolling an enormous number of twenty-sided dice.

yep, that's me. we're not in north africa, mind you, but you should see my dice collection.

--dan.

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 27/01/2003 16:19

don't ya know it.

--dan.

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 27/01/2003 16:41

I'm starting to think that the travel agents are right, that you should use them and not rely on the internet sites.

I swear to you that Orbitz showed me a round-trip flight from RDU to AMS via JFK for July 3, returning July 10, for less than $400. Now it only shows flights nearing to over to well over $1000.

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 27/01/2003 16:52

I swear to you that Orbitz showed me a round-trip flight from RDU to AMS via JFK for July 3, returning July 10, for less than $400. Now it only shows flights nearing to over to well over $1000.

hmm, <$400 seems pretty low for summer travel to europe, unless it's a really unpopular route at off-peak times. this far in advance, i wouldn't expect to see that kind of discounting.

there is a major sale fare being announced tomorrow, but it's for spring travel (through april 30 for transatlantic flights). example: NYC-AMS for $244 round-trip.

orbitz gets the best fares available from most major airlines -- it's in our contracts. we often get access to fares that the airlines themselves don't offer on their own sites. i just booked a flight today from chicago to anchorage in july. the orbitz price was $443, and the same flight on the airline's own site was $667.

you have to be careful when you shop for travel these days, whether on the internet or from a travel agent. if you find a particularly good fare, check to see if there are any strings attached (details of the fare rules, can it be changed, is it a consolidator fare, does it qualify to earn miles, etc), and check the commission/fee structure of the agent as well. orbitz always sells regular inventory, same as you'd find elsewhere, but often at much more attractive prices.

--dan.
Posted by: matthew_k

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 27/01/2003 17:03

I had an amazing experience with a cross country flight (san jose - D.C.) where a $133 fare would show up in the evenings. I watched it appear and disappear at least twice before booking it. The airlines have an amazing ability to get the most you're personally willing to pay out of you for a flight. It doesn't always work, but most of the time it does.

One simple explanation is that we all like to think that if we wait a few days, the price will go down. In actuality, prices usualy go up as you get closer, so you wait and wait, slowly seeing prices go up until you realize that you won't be able to afford anything more, and book it. Sometimes they'll blink first, and have a sale, but you can't count on it. This far out they're still hoping to pick up people who can't sleep unless they have a plane ticket, and won't have any sales on travel that far out. Seeing as mid-june to mid-july is the peak season, there isn't much hope in fares coming down too far, but they'll probably come down some.

Matthew
Posted by: mlord

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 27/01/2003 19:43

Mmm.. I'm saving my frequent flyer miles to get Jane & I to Australia (First Class all the way) next fall, so this meet is gonna have to be on a pay ticket in cattle clas.. err.. "economy class" for me.

So, the sooner the date is fixed, the sooner I/we can hunt down those mythical cheap tickets for cross-pond flights!

Cheers

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 27/01/2003 20:11

Um.

I think that my sub-$400 flights were for Feb 3-10. I didn't realize that the browser was resetting the months but not the days.

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 28/01/2003 04:29

Just remember that the speed limit signs are in km/h, not mph .
Posted by: rob

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 28/01/2003 11:36

Keep checking the airline web sites until you get a fare you like. I just bought tickets from LHR to SFO at £260 (about $400) including taxes with United. What a bargain!

Rob

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 28/01/2003 14:02

Keep checking the airline web sites until you get a fare you like.

That's kinda hard to do when there is no date set for the event.
Posted by: Cas_O

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 28/01/2003 15:03

Actually, there's this one bizarre rule whereby traffic coming from the right on an "equal" crossing or junction (no indicated priority for either road) has the right of way.

If you're not used to it, it can catch you out, on what looks like a normal through-road where you expect to have right of way, there's all these idiots pulling out right in front of you!

Other than that, it's exactly as you say.

Looking forward to this, my first Empeg meet, I should be ashamed as I'm about 80km away and missed the two previous ones ...

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 28/01/2003 15:13

Actually, there's this one bizarre rule whereby traffic coming from the right on an "equal" crossing or junction (no indicated priority for either road) has the right of way.
It's the same in the US. From the NC Driver's Handbook:
In reply to:

In intersections without traffic signs or signals, the right-of-way rules state that:

• the vehicle already in the intersection has the right–of–way ahead of any car that has not yet entered;
  • when two or more vehicles reach an intersection at the same time, the car to the right has the right–of–way;
  • a vehicle with the right–of–way may move straight ahead or, if legal and after signaling, turn right or left; and
  • even with the right–of–way, be careful to avoid hitting other vehicles and pedestrians.
When two facing vehicles approach an intersection at the same time, the right-of-way rules are not much help. Both drivers can move straight ahead or turn right. If one driver is going straight while the other wants to turn left, the driver who wants to turn must wait. The driver who wants to turn left must give the proper signal and wait until the turn can be made safely. Therefore, in this case, the driver who is traveling straight ahead has the right–of–way. Never change lanes while you are moving straight ahead through an intersection.

(God, I hate the limits of the markup on the BBS.)
Posted by: Cas_O

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 28/01/2003 15:49

Ah, I see... Does this apply to those crossings with the big STOP signs where you have to come to a complete standstill, even if there's no-one around?

Here in NTH traffic from right always (provided there's no indicated priority on through-road) has right of way, the car at the through-road has to drive at sufficiently low speed in order to be able to stop and let cars from the right in. Just as silly as eating fries (or should I say chips in true UK parlance?) with big gobs of mayonaise on top (yum!).

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 28/01/2003 16:07

In the US, most normal intersections will either have traffic lights, a 2-way stop (that is, the drivers on one road must always stop, regardless of traffic), or a 4-way stop (where all drivers must stop, regardless of traffic). Some intersections will have something different, but that probably covers 95% of the cases.

The only one where there are issues is the 4-way. Those rules apply there, too. In fact, they apply any other case where the right of way isn't abundantly clear (like at a 3-way stop where the two drivers are both at stop signs).

(Those rules I quoted were specifically for the State of North Carolina, but I imagine that the rules are very similar, if not identical, in all other states.)

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 28/01/2003 16:22

What would be the cost of transportation to Amersfoort from Frankfurt or Amsterdam? Maybe I could rent a car and drive.

I can't tell you what it costs, but it would be an experience if you have
never driven on the Autobahn. Remember there's no generic speed limit
in Germany. This could be exciting, but it can also be nervewrecking.

It's not unusual that average speeds are 80 km/h on the right lane,
and 180 km/h on the left lane. Always check your mirrors twice or
three times before overtaking.

Driving in the weekend is more relaxed (and faster), when trucks are
banned on the Autobahn.

Pim

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 28/01/2003 17:41

...or if a number of people co-ordinated to arrive in Frankfurt, they could share a car, the costs, and the driving. It's only a coupla hours.

Recent experience; check mirror to overtake, already doing 165km/h. Outside lane is clear as far back as I can focus (Gossakes, man, I am 41 after all, what else do you expect??? 20/20??), indicator is already on. Turn head to look forward again, start to pull out. I'm about halfway across the lane moving into what I thought was a clear lane (and I'm cautious!) and suddenly the interior of the car is lit by about 2,000,000 lumens as a C330 Kompressor tries to tell me I am where he wants to be at what must be about 100km/h above my speed. The horns peel the paint off my rear valance (I need new chrome on the bumper now, as well) and I touch cloth as I realise I am about to die. I have an artic doing about 70 in the inside lane and I have no-where to go, so I just go out (a rear end closing at 100 is better than a front end closing at 95 I reckon) and push the pedal through the firewall to try and get past. I struggle back in after the truck with Mr. Schumacher about 23mm from my rear bumper. He flicks me a bird as he passes, and disappears into the distance as quickly as he appeared, apparently out of nowhere, a minute (was it that long?) earlier.

4 km later I pass him sat on the hard shoulder with the windscreen pushed completely back and the screen smashed concave, liberally smeared with blood and guts from what must have been a bird strike at 230+. Hey, they make Merc windscreen posts good - maybe the bird thought it would be a laugh to take a tail ender at 210 k's.

Spoilt his nice paintwork, and I must say I laughed all the way to the Nurburgring (for thence was my intended destination), whereupon I burnt rubber and engine oil, put up my blood pressure, got hideously pissed and had a thoroughly good time fighting g-force in the passenger footwell of a metallic blue Tuscan (yes, if you were watching, it was me throwing up over the side of the car going through the S-bends). Dustin Hoffman was there that weekend in a yellow Porsche and got thoroughly embarrassed by me standing up in the cafe in the Paddock shouting "Look! It's the Graduate! It's him, no, REALLY!!! LOOK!". Subtlety was never my strong point.

Next owners meet on the Nurburgring in September, 2003? Drivers ONLY, please. Bring some bottle, 'cos I ain't got none.

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 28/01/2003 17:45

Hey, hang on, I like eating chips with big gobs of Mayonaise on top.

I'm beginning to think that I have been here too long. Where's my fish and chips with vinegar in a newspaper?

Gawd, have I got the munchies now.

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 28/01/2003 18:11

Just remember that the speed limit signs ...

Um, speed limit signs???

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 28/01/2003 18:17

Dustin Hoffman was there that weekend in a yellow Porsche and got thoroughly embarrassed by me standing up in the cafe in the Paddock shouting "Look! It's the Graduate! It's him, no, REALLY!!! LOOK!". Subtlety was never my strong point.

I guess not...but at least you didn't go grab his lapel, pull nose to nose and moan "Plastics" at him with beer breath!
Posted by: andy

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 28/01/2003 18:39

I just bought tickets from LHR to SFO at £260 (about $400) including taxes with United.

What date was that for ? I need to buy tickets for our holiday to Seattle in August.

P.S. I know that United doesn't fly direct from the UK to Seattle, the only people who do is BA and they only have one flight a day.

P.P.S. By the way, has anyone flown Premium Economy on BA ? Is it worth the 100% increase over Economy ?
Posted by: andym

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 29/01/2003 02:24

In reply to:

Driving in the weekend is more relaxed (and faster), when trucks are banned on the Autobahn.

Nice one, I wish we could have laws like that!

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 29/01/2003 04:53

What date was that for ? I need to buy tickets for our holiday to Seattle in August.

That's for next week. Currently it seems to be twice that price for August.

Rob
Posted by: drakino

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 29/01/2003 23:22

Once a date is set, I'll start looking into the cost. Late June is probably out for me, as I am hopefully going to be moving into my own house around that time. Depending on how well my stock money does, I should be able to afford the down payment, and a trip to Europe.

A raise at work would also be helpful for getting me across the pond this summer. I loved the trip to Scotland back in 98, and would enjoy to see other parts of Europe.
Posted by: Daria

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 30/01/2003 00:22

I'm also waiting to see what happens with the date. I have no idea if I can come so there's no point in pushing hard for anything but I know some of the probables conflict with other likely and definite engagements, and I still need to figure out what I'm doing about my 5th wedding anniversary...
Posted by: Dearing

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 30/01/2003 12:48

I'll have to check flights when the date is finalized. I'm about to vote for July 4, as it would be a nice change of pace in the summer. It may be difficult for Melissa, as she'll be starting at a new job on Monday and may not get the time off. She's already asking for a week and a half off at the end of May for our wedding in Jacksonville (thank you, thank you ).
If I or both of us can make it, we'll be there. It was so much fun last year! Honestly, some of the best ribs we've ever tasted, and we're Southern.

This is probably superfluous, but I strongly recommend any one who can make it to go, no matter the home continent. You won't be disappointed.
Jason
Posted by: BleachLPB

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 01/02/2003 22:11

Just curious if we're any closer to hearing a final date announcement.

At first when I saw the announcement about the meet I was like "Aww, no way I'll ever be able to make it". But now I am really considering it. I've never been to Europe, and I've been wanting to go for years now and see something different. I started looking at flights this afternoon. Plus - I had tons of fun at the Cinci meet (thanks Laura!)

Rob R. - and other Yanks - maybe we can coordinate arrivals. I'm over 25 so theres no problem with the under-25 car rental penalty. Besides - I'm tempted to take a train. If I drove on the Autobahn - I'd probably be too disappointed with the rental car and that I'm not in my Audi.

I'm still mulling over the idea though. If its July 4, though, I have very tentative plans to be up in northern Maine relaxing by a remote lake... so that wouldnt work.

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 01/02/2003 22:19

Rob R. - and other Yanks - maybe we can coordinate arrivals

I was thinking of trying to get on the same flights. That would be dope! Also, I love driving rental cars. It's something different and I always appreciate my car so much more when I get home. So, I would still get my own car (I think).
Posted by: 303

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 04/02/2003 10:35

i´ll be there!!! may be with something extraordinary patrick knows 303

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 04/02/2003 12:39

Please set a date.

*** Look at these rates !!!!! ***

I will drive to Boston to catch a roudtrip ticket for $254. That price is Mother F***ing INSANE! Set... Date... Now!

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 04/02/2003 12:46

Those are last-minute deals for this weekend only and will change on a weekly basis. They will probably be few and far between come summer. Not to mention that you'd have to wait until the last minute to get them, so you couldn't plan your trip, not to mention that they might not exist then and you'd have to pay thousands.

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 04/02/2003 12:51

From the page:

* indicates fares are available for dates other than this weekend

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 04/02/2003 13:01

Fair enough. Mostly for this weekend, but, at most, not far in the future. March 31 is the latest departure date (it's on Icelandair), which is actually much later than I expected.

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 04/02/2003 13:07

Yeah. It wouldn't hurt to try and get that rate for June/July though.

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 04/02/2003 13:11

It never hurts to try (fill in your own joke). But I doubt you'll be able to get it. Therefore, don't rely on it. I just don't want you to expect that it'll be available in the summer and get left out when it's not.

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 04/02/2003 14:27

bitt's right. current fare sales to europe run through the end of march only. the current low prices are due to the fact that it's low season, demand is down due to threats of war, and they are often for last-minute travel.

i'd expect to see some summer fares coming in april, and they might be good depending on the world political situation. on the other hand, it will be high season, so the demand (and prices) will certainly be higher than now.

--dan.
(the guy that works at orbitz.)

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 04/02/2003 16:49

OK, in spite of the fact I said I'd wait for votes until mid February, given that fares won't wait, and that there is a clear winner in the vote for a date for the event...

...I'm setting the event date for the meet on the weekend of the 4/5/6 July. I hope this means that you guys (and gals, of course!) in the States can get some useful prices by booking NOW - so I would really urge that you co-ordinate amongst yourselves to work out (for example) party travel on a given flight here, meeting at an airport (Frankfurt??) and sharing car costs, etc. Believe me, it would be a real kick to see as many of you Stateside owners over here as possible!

Don't forget, Rob is promising some exciting new hardware and software, some of which I've seen, and Hugo may well turn up in his new (censored) with a custom (censored) already installed in the (censored). Patrick has got some really nice things to play with, and we will try to beat all records on beer consumption at the barbecue!

Be there or be square!

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 04/02/2003 17:38

Thank You!
Posted by: drakino

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 04/02/2003 17:46

Cool. I'm putting in for my time off request now just to make sure I get it.

Airfare wise, under $500 and it's a sure thing I will be there. Much more, and it will depend.

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 04/02/2003 17:47

Maybe we can ask djc for some advice on the matter.
Posted by: rowitech

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 06/02/2003 07:55

Oh yes!

My Empeg and me would like to be there.
If you have a parking lot in spare, I'm there. (Oh, a rhyme :-))

Rolf

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 10/02/2003 06:58

Hell and damnation, third year running that I've got a holiday booked clashing with the all important Empeg bash, and don't seem to be able to change it. I'm still working on it, however!

Not very interesting fact:

It's a third cheaper to book a package to Holland on the Hull Rotterdam ferry in an MGF including six nights hotel bookings, than it is just to take a 7 metre motorhome across.

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 10/02/2003 08:37

Yeah - you would be charged for extra length above 6m on all the channel and also the Hoek ferries. Alternatively, you could hire a motorhome here.

Sorry about the date - are you SURE there's no way to change?

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 10/02/2003 08:54

are you SURE there's no way to change?

I'll have a look at it in detail tonight, but first reaction was that they couldn't move us forward a week - but I didn't try TWO weeks forward, or two weeks back, I'm not sure whether that just causes another clash.

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 13/02/2003 08:27

I am booked. If anyone wants to go out together, I am on Continental Flight 70 out of Newark, NJ on July 2nd.

Round trip was $680 after taxes and fees with I think is quite good for the days selected.

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 13/02/2003 10:15

that is a good price for july. just a reminder that the current fare sale to europe (which is really quite good, especially for non-east-coast cities) ends at midnight EST tonight. time to book!

--dan.
Posted by: ricin

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 13/02/2003 13:50

Eesh. Looks like it's going to run me ~ $200 to get from the West Coast to EWR, then $683 from EWR to AMS (round trip), then another $200 to get back to the West Coast. I'll have to wait a little while longer to see if I can really afford it or not, but I'd sure would love to go.
Posted by: Geoff

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 13/02/2003 16:44

Unfortunately, I already have at least 3 other things planned for the weekend of the meet... but I've been promising myself to go to an empeg meet for so long, that I am going to have to consider letting lots of people down and hopping over to Amersfoort instead

With a bit of luck and a following wind, I might just be able to make it this year (fingers crossed!)

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 17/02/2003 07:37

Still actively working on it, looking quite promising.

I only made this post to bring the thread back to the top, so more people notice it!

Shouldn't it be up in announcements, by now.

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 17/02/2003 13:27

Yes, you're right.

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 17/02/2003 21:03

grrr.. this is what I get for not reading the board closely enough.. I didn't even notice that the date had been set.. I can't find any NWA flights for under $1250. Time to start looking for deals. (Leaving from MSP)
Posted by: frog51

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 18/02/2003 03:37

Darn - that's now 3 things I have to sort. I could have a free 2 weeks in Portugal with my family (only paying flights), or a 2 day sailing competition at Cowes with my work on the 5th and 6th, or the Empeg meet.

Akkk!

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 18/02/2003 10:15

No competition then!

Why don't you start your Portugal on the 7th, fly with family to Amersfoort, then fly on to Portugal?

I have no solution for Cowes, unforch...

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 20/02/2003 02:41

"I'm billed out and bound to go" - to quote various blues singers!

I've even got the Campanile booked ( I'm doing a week's package and the overall price was dead cheap)

Unfortunately, I now have to take my summer holiday in Yakutsk at Christmas!

Really looking forward to meeting you and everybody on the 4th - I'm looking for a tutorial on how an old man can get more out of his Empeg, as if he isn't getting enough!

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 28/02/2003 14:40

Could people wishing to attend the owner's meet, requiring accomodation, please hold off making bookings as I am attempting to negotiate a discount for a block booking for the weekend. It looks like there may be a possibility of a 10% discount on the normal rate if sufficient people book. The booking will have to go through me, and it looks like reservations will need to be confirmed before the end of May, 2003.

I'll let you know more about this when I have more details. I'm not stopping you going ahead to try and make a booking at the hotel if you so wish, but there will be no discount for you if you do this.

In the meantime, could I ask anyone who is planning to come to vote so I can get an idea of numbers.

How many people are thinking of attending?
I'm definitely coming and will need a hotel room
I'm thinking about coming and will need a hotel room if I do
I'm thinking about coming and will NOT need a hotel room if I do
What's a hotel?

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 28/02/2003 14:43

Question. I know this is not in the US, so I have to ask about bathrooms.

Does this hotel have bathrooms (toilet, shower, etc.) in each room?

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 28/02/2003 14:46

Yep, all rooms are double, and have ensuite with stereo toilet paper
Posted by: mtempsch

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 28/02/2003 15:01

Warning: Variable passed to each() is not an array or object in /home/drakino/bbs/empeg.comms.net/php/viewpoll.php on line 72

Got the above when trying to vote...

I'm definately going to be there and need a room - probably arriving on thursday.

/Michael

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 28/02/2003 15:03

I got the same thing, but it appeared to register both our votes.

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 28/02/2003 15:09

it appeared to register both our votes.

OK, I didn't check the standings before voting, so I had no idea if it had been registered or not.

Got to start looking for ferry tickets...

/Michael
Posted by: kjohanss

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 13/03/2003 09:29

Dear Rob

I'm sorry to announce that I will not be able to join the meet in 2003. I'm going on vaication on the 20th of june, and will be in Spain for two weeks. Originally I planned to drive to Amersfoort on the way back from Spain (yes I'm driving from Kiel to Jerez de la Frontera - and back), but unfortunately my friends are'nt leaving until sunday, and I'm responsible for everything (dad's house) - so I can't really drive off until monday morning on the 7th.

Too bad, because I was really looking forward to see you again...

Kyrre

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 16/03/2003 12:02

Well, invite all your friends and leave early together!

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 16/03/2003 13:13

I'm still planning to attend, but haven't found a cheap plane ticket yet. I suppose I might eventually have to spring for a pricey one. I also hope to bring along a Docking Station to raffle off or use as a prize of some kind.

Cheers

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 16/03/2003 14:49

Rob, any news on bulk booking the hotel?

/Michael

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 17/03/2003 03:37

I have some detail, and I'll post it sometime this week. Don't worry - I have actually booked all the rooms the hotel had for the weekend, so you won't be left without a room!

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 17/03/2003 06:02

wait until the war starts, and watch the prices drop.

--dan.

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 17/03/2003 07:35

wait until the war starts, and watch the prices drop

At Campanile prices, they would be paying us!

But maybe plane tickets will be a bargain, by then.

Car rentals - 17/03/2003 20:54

This post on FatWallet.com looks like it can save me a ton on a car rental.

Using europecar, I was quoted 267.51 EUR for my rental (economy car) from the 3rd to the 7th. The fatwallet post directed me to try booking at lastminute.com which seems to be a european travel site. I got quoted £90.00 for the same class of car (through Hertz)!!!

This is a fantastic savings! The only snag seems to be that you have to enter a European phone number to book the car. So, who will be willing to lend me their phone number.
Posted by: speedy67

Re: Car rentals - 26/04/2003 13:38

Hi all,

i wasn't on the board for a long time...
I will come to the meet for sure.
Rob S., what about the rooms?

Rob R., did you get a phonenumber?

Rob V., any plans for shirts?

No question to norobs...

Looks to become a big meet this year. COOL

cheers,
Thomas

Re: Car rentals - 26/04/2003 22:35

Rob R., did you get a phonenumber?
Got a number already. Thanks.

Re: Car rentals - 27/04/2003 04:26

No shirt plans yet but I'll give it some thought if nobody else is planning to do some.

Rob

Re: Car rentals - 27/04/2003 05:23

Hmmm, I really can't decide wether to go or not. The g/f has said she definately doesn't want to go. I'm just a little apprehensive about going on my own. If there's someone else from Manchester/The North West who's going as well, let me know, maybe we can split some of the costs. Maybe I'm just being a wuss.
Posted by: Cris

Re: Car rentals - 27/04/2003 05:34

I'm planning on going, I'm in Leeds and had planned to fly from Leeds Bradford with Jet2 (about £60ish) but nothing is booked yet, I had planned an extra night in Amsterdam though, if you know what I mean

Cheers

Cris.

Re: Car rentals - 27/04/2003 07:45

In reply to:

I had planned an extra night in Amsterdam though, if you know what I mean

You saucy git!
Posted by: Cris

Re: Car rentals - 27/04/2003 08:28

Hey, young free and single me, I'm not planning on wasting the opertunity

Cris.

Meet-shirts - 27/04/2003 13:55

Did you like the shirts last year?
I can make them again. It's not printed, it's copied on transfer-film and ironed...
The advantage is, i can make individual names on it.
Disadvantage perhaps the quality after some washing.

Anyone with bad experience on the last year shirts?

What i would need is a cool design. This is not what i'm a hero in...

cheers, Thomas

Re: Car rentals - 27/04/2003 14:17

Well, I made it over here all right and I'm from Manchester (Worsley). So, no excuse then

She's nuts: loads of people came over with their better halves last year, and by all accounts the ladies all enjoyed it (we won't mention the hangover, and yes, you know who you are! ). The Ribs Restaurant (but it isn't just ribs), the Car Park Competitions, The Barbecue, plus this year's new attractions - the Microbrewery visit in the Friday, the Treasure Hunt on Sunday morning, the Bring and Buy Bootsale on Saturday, the Remote Control Cars Competition and the Feely Bag Game on Saturday at the Barby. You know you can't miss it!

PS Bring your cannons, biggest bang wins teh prize (and wakes the neighbours)

Re: Car rentals - 27/04/2003 14:32

(we won't mention the hangover, and yes, you know who you are! )

But she learned at least one german word this night: Weizenbier....

Re: Car rentals - 28/04/2003 01:51

In reply to:

Well, I made it over here all right and I'm from Manchester (Worsley).

No sh*t! I live in Worsley! Which bit are you from?

Re: Car rentals - 28/04/2003 01:57

In reply to:

Hey, young free and single me, I'm not planning on wasting the opertunity

Just remember:

Don't be a fool, wrap your tool.....

Re: Car rentals - 28/04/2003 02:00

I'm on my way from Leeds with the redoubtable Mrs.Boxer, her only concerns are that she won't be able to get a Telegraph to do the crossword and everybody will be half her age . I'm regarding this as a plus, myself, as part of my stay young and beautiful initiative.
We're going for the week in the MGF and touring round after the meet, travelling Hull to Rotterdam overnight,so, unfortunately, we don't have space to share - but anyone taking that boat, thursday night, let's meet up.

Re: Car rentals - 28/04/2003 02:06

the Microbrewery visit in the Friday

What time does that kick off, I don't want to be done for speeding on the way up from Rotterdam!
Do us novices get an itinerary before the event?

Bring and buy sale, at last a chance to get rid of my one megabyte a week, Intel Anypoint network!

Re: Car rentals - 01/05/2003 05:21

We used to live in Broad Oak Park (Fairmount Road) near Worsley dell (behined the garden centre). I spent most of my youth trying (unsuccessfully) to build tree houses in Worsley Woods. Had a lot of friends on Ringlow Park Road.

Hotel - 01/05/2003 12:52

For those of you coming to the event, you will be pleased to know we have done a little deal with the manager of the hotel.

We have a block booking for all available rooms on Friday the 4th July, and Saturday the 5th July. No bookings have been made for the Sunday. There's a 10% rate reduction per person per night. What this means is, you will be paying E33 ( $30, GBP 22) per person per night, assuming you share a room. If you want a room on your own, there is an additional single occupancy fee to pay of E 19 ($16, GBP 12). One breakfast is included per room in the cost, so if two people in one room want a breakfast then you'll have to split the cost of another breakfast (E 6.95).

There are 22 double rooms reserved for our party. In the next few days there should be a website coming together to allow you to book. Please DON'T try to book directly with the hotel or you'll just confuse things: you will need to make your booking with me so that I can arrange the booking with the manager. You should note that the hotel bill is your personal responsibility. Bookings (via the website) must be made before the end of May: there will be NO exceptions to this - if you try to book after this date, then you may be out of luck.

I'll keep you all informed as there's more info - in the meantime, now's the time to make up your minds and get ready to reserve your seat!

Re: Hotel - 01/05/2003 13:31

you will be paying E33 ( $30, GBP 22)

What kind exchange rates are these ?

EUR 33 = USD 37,08 = GBP 23,03 according to http://www.xe.com/

Pim

Re: Hotel - 04/05/2003 13:31

Probably just the huge drop in value of US$ over the past week or two that's mucked up the numbers some.

Cheers

Hotel bookings - 19/05/2003 09:01

Could everyone requiring a room, based on the rates in this previous posting, mail me at [email protected] to reserve a room. I would advise you get a shift on, as 5 rooms have already been booked out of a total of 21 available.

You need to make your reservation to me before the 30th May. After this, I can still make bookings but there will be no discount and the likelihood that the rooms are all gone is higher.

Please state if you want a room share, or a room on your own, with preferences (non-smoking, smoking, etc.). For sharers, please include a contact telephone number so that I can put you in touch with the person who you will be sharing with.

It will be first come, first served. If I receive more bookings than we have rooms, then I'll contact you to see if you would like to go over to a room share rather than be left without a room. Please state if you would be prepared to go over to a room share in case a single room is not available.

When I have all the bookings in I'll mail you with a confirmation and further details as I have them.

I'm sorry this is happening so late: various factors have conspired. The event IS on, and a number of the Cambridge staff will be coming. Planning and pricing is going on, and as stated there will be a website sometime soon for you to register on.

Don't hang around, folks!!!

Re: Hotel bookings - 19/05/2003 12:09

The main event conspiring to make this late is my having not got around to putting the web site online - sorry Rob!

On the plus side, we hope to have some cool toys to show off, and as usual a few things to give away.

Rob

Re: Hotel bookings - 21/05/2003 09:10

Come on folks - get those room bookings in NOW or you'll miss your chance. A lot have gone already, so if you need a room you have to book sharpish - only a week left!

Re: Hotel bookings - 21/05/2003 09:58

What this means is, you will be paying E33 ( $30, GBP 22) per person per night, assuming you share a room.

If I book a double room through
http://www.envergure.fr/campanileen.html,
I'd pay EUR 55,- per room per night, excluding breakfast.

With your deal, I would be paying EUR 66, - including breakfast for one,
(value of EUR 6,95). So that's more expensive rather then less expensive.

Or am I missing something?

Pim

Re: Hotel bookings - 21/05/2003 10:40

Don't hang around, folks!!!

Hey, Rob! I won't know until around 1 July (it is contingent on me remaining unemployed!) but I may try to come -- I'd try to change my ticket to Dublin (for a wedding) so that I fly earlier to Amsterdam, then make my way to Ireland afterwards.

In the inferior motive department, I wonder if this would be my chance to finish illuminated buttons #2? I know you'll be too busy during the meet, but I could maybe bring the display and leave it for later return or send it in advance to take home. or maybe Mark would be up for it?

Mark, I saw your itinerary (not in this thread, looks like). Looks great, and you got your Paris visit. You have probably already seen these, but you'd be a candidate for the Paris Visite subway/train pass. At ~40Eur for a 5-day "Zones 1-5" pass, it is only a money saver if you intend to visit outlying spots like Versailles, but it makes it incredibly easy to take RER to/from airport and ride the Metro/RER at will during your stay. You can buy passes at the RER station at CDG. Best subway in the world, IMO.

Re: Hotel bookings - 21/05/2003 11:44

You've got mail

Re: Hotel bookings - 22/05/2003 06:10

Mmm.. good tip on the transit pass, and thanks for the web link, Jim!

Hope you can make it to Amersfoort!

Cheers

Get directed from Empeg via GPSapp to Amersfoort? - 26/05/2003 13:17

Wouldn't it be cool letting the Empeg showing the way to Amersfoort with GPSapp? Does someone know if this would be possible in an easy way (I know that there aren't maps from outside of the USA). Maybe I can help providing cities and their coordinates.

Rolf (arriving with empeg and car)

Re: Hotel bookings - 28/05/2003 08:42

Pim, I'm not sure I know what you mean. E33 is the single person, one night cost. This means that a room with two people costs E 66. If you hire this room (they are all doubles) then normally you would pay E66 on your own. How can 66 be cheaper than 33 per night? Equally, with the deal I have here, if you want to hire a room yourself with my deal, you pay E 33 + E 19 which is E52, so again, how can 66 be cheaper than 52?

You can book directly with Envergure, but there were limited rooms available for that weekend, and I booked all the remaining ones. The only reason I want people to book en bloque is so that I can go to the manager with a definite booking set. For this, we get some discount. However, please don't let me stop you booking directly if you want - but you'll need to bear in mind it will cost you more, and there's no guarantee that you'll be able to get a room.

Re: Hotel bookings - 28/05/2003 08:55

Pim, I'm not sure I know what you mean.
If Pim's bringing the missus, like he did last time, he pays E66 for two on your deal and E55 for two on the website deal (apparently, but the website had no rooms available when I looked just now).

Peter

Re: Hotel bookings - 28/05/2003 10:17

If Pim's bringing the missus, like he did last time, he pays E66 for two on your deal and E55 for two on the website deal

Yup, that was the idea.

(apparently, but the website had no rooms available when I looked just now)

Oh, bummer. I should have just booked right away ...
There were rooms available at the time of my post.

Grumble ...

Pim

Re: Hotel bookings - 28/05/2003 10:25

These are pretty impressive web deals, as the rates the hotel manager has given us are 10% discounted. The deal with the hotel does include one breakfast per day though.

Either way, the difference is pocket change compared with the cost (for most people) of attending the meet. Rob is trying to do everyone a favour with this (and he always ends up out of pocket) so I'd hate to see him stuck with a block of unwanted rooms.

Rob

Re: Hotel bookings - 28/05/2003 10:46

Yes, the differences aren't that big, and I'm not worryng about that;
I've already sent an e-mail to Rob about this.

Still, the Campanile hotel manager should have known this when
negotiating this arrangement, since the URL I passed is the
official Campanile website, not some broker passing deals.

Pim

Re: Hotel bookings - 28/05/2003 11:41

Hey Rob,

i think we need a bigger bus to the ribs this time...

Re: Hotel bookings - 28/05/2003 15:22

The Campanile have been a pain to deal with in the past (I'm glad Rob is doing it this time) but on the other hand they're cheap as dirt while having reasonable rooms (by low cost continental hotel standards).

Rob
Posted by: BryanR

Re: Hotel bookings - 29/05/2003 03:12

I'm very tempted to join you all this year - are there any rooms left, Rob?

I'm going to be in Cheshire until Friday afternoon, playing in a golf tournament which, for the third year running, is being held the week before the meet. However, this year I'd like to try and make it over.

Can anyone suggest a better way of getting there than the following:

The EuroTunnel, departing on the Friday evening and returning on the Sunday, will be £59. My estimates of time and distance from the ViaMichelin site are a total of 7hr 33min, plus crossing time, from the golf course to Amersfoort - so the bar had better still be open when I get there!

The other alternative seems to be from Harwich, but the quote I've just got from the website is a ridiculous £214, so I think I'll ignore that one!

So I know which crossing to book for, what sort of time do things wind up on the Sunday?

I'm going to have a spare seat (though not much luggage space, with my golf clubs being in the boot!), so I'm happy to give someone a lift if they're near my route from Weston-under-Redcastle to Dover, and want to return to somewhere on the way back to Reading!

Cheers,

Re: Hotel bookings - 29/05/2003 05:51

Check out Hull-Rotterdam, sails at 7.30 each day and would save you a great deal of journey time ( I'd find you a link, but I'm just off to a meeting).

It isn't cheap, but remember the prices also include two nights reasonable accommodation and the chance to relax and have a few scoops instead of driving.

Re: Hotel bookings - 29/05/2003 06:23

Meeting dissolved in disarray, lack of communication! Try this

Re: Hotel bookings - 29/05/2003 07:26

Thanks for the link.

Doesn't look promising, though. The only available crossings on the Friday and Sunday were at 21:00, the cost was £337 (admittedly, that was with a cabin to myself rather than the shared accomodation), and it's an overnighter, isn't it?

I need to get back to work on Monday morning, back here in glamorous Bracknell, so I'd have to leave on the Saturday night, having arrived that morning - which (especially for the cost) barely seems worth it.

It's looking like the Tunnel is the best bet. Mind you, I don't know if I fancy eight hours of travelling after playing golf for three days running... Falling asleep at the wheel has never struck me as a particularly clever move!

A quick look at EasyJet from Luton to AMS gives £103.74 for flights at the right sort of times - anyone know how much it would then cost to get to Amersfoort? It may end up being the cheapest as well as the quickest, when fuel costs are considered.

Hmmm... still can't decide...

Re: Hotel bookings - 29/05/2003 07:38

I'm no local (by a ocean or more), but my mapping s/w shows a rail line through AMS, and we already know the meet is within 0.5Km of the rail station at Amersfoort, so..

Cheers

Re: Hotel bookings - 29/05/2003 07:45

Just a thought: KLM Manchester Amsterdam fri PM, return sunday PM, plenty of time to drive to Bracknell to be refreshed and ready to work Mon. AM.

I don't know what the deal is on prices or if there are alternative, cheaper flights..

Re: Hotel bookings - 29/05/2003 07:47

True enough - that's how I was expecting to get there. I don't imagine a taxi would be a particularly cheap option! I just wondered how much it would cost, how long it would take, and whether it involved an excessive number of changes, and the resultant chance of my getting hideously lost and ending up on a non-stop train to Madrid, or something equally stupid.

Last time I was in Amsterdam one of our group got lost, got on a train, ended up somewhere out in the sticks, and had to wait for morning to get a train back to the city. Admittedly, he was rather the worse for wear at the time, but still...

Re: Hotel bookings - 29/05/2003 08:59

If I've understood the timetable, amsterdam - amersfoort looks like a 41 minute train journey with regular services, so I don't imagine it'll break the bank!
How near the airport is to the rail is outside my sphere of knowledge!

Re: Hotel bookings - 29/05/2003 09:01

The railway station is underneath the airport. It is extremely efficient, and fun as most of the trains are double deckers!

Rob

Re: Hotel bookings - 29/05/2003 15:59

There seems to have been a misunderstanding.

My assumption was that the regular Campanile prices
are the ones shown on the campanile website; the
regular prices at the hotel desk apparently are higher.

In my case, the web pricing would have been cheaper,
even cheaper than the discounted prices Rob Schofield
arranged. But this difference amounts to only four euros.

Like Rob Voisey wrote, this is pocket money compared
to the costs most of us are making, and it is definitely not
worth to make a fuss about. I should never have brought
this up, and feel like a complete ass.

I'd like to make my apologies to anyone involved, especially
to Rob Schofield, who has put so much energy and money
to make this event memorable.

Pim

Re: Hotel bookings - 02/06/2003 12:58

Stanstead - Eindhoven GBP 9.99
Eindhoven - Amersfoort via Utrecht E 13.20 /1.5 hours

Re: Hotel bookings - 02/06/2003 13:04

Get out of plane, walk to collect your luggage (300m) walk out of Arrivals (25m) walk 10m to train ticket machines, pay with cash card/credit card, go down the escalator and you're on Schiphol station. Wait a max of 25 minutes, catch a direct intercity to Amersfoort, or wait longer for a rapid stopping train direct to Amersfoort Schothorst. If you are arriving Friday afternoon, get the train to Schothorst. If you are arriving later, go to Amersfoort and join us at the ribs restaurant (or the bar if you're very late!)

Re: Hotel bookings - 02/06/2003 13:32

First off, without reservation, I am goiong to eat crow..

I have flown off the handle, again, in public, at Pim, for no reason. So in public, I would like to offer to Pim heartfelt apologies to my rudeness in response to his post. There was no need, and no reason for it and I hope that he forgives me. Pim, you and Gaby are without any reservations, wholly welcome to the event, as is everyone else on this board.

To set the record straight, I have just been round to the hotel and had a chat with the manager for nearly an hour about this, and here is the straight story.

Envergure owns Campanile. They also own other chains. Campanile is unique in this group in that it is franchised to owner-operators. Above a basic price, the operator is allowed to set his own prices. Hence, in the Netherlands, the basic room price at any hotel in the Campanile chain must never be lower than E55. This is what is advertised by Envergure on their website.

At each hotel, however, there are different room sizes, standards, etc. Hence, each hotel is allowed to set prices based on how they rate themselves - based on their facilities, and their location, and in competition (friendly) with other Campanile operators, and local hotels in their own areas.

In Amersfoort, the room prices are lower than Breda, even though Breda is a newer hotel. However, in Leuwarden the Campanile there charges less than Amersfoort in spite of being a larger hotel. Despite of their prices, the Amersfoort Campanile actually has the lowest room prices in the area (within a 16 km radius). You can find cheaper rooms in Nijkerk, but then you aren't at the event and your taxi costs will be quite high to get back at the end of the party (and believe me, there will be no-one sober enough to drive you back at the end of the barby, so DON"T ASK).

The local room prices are, in Amersfoort, E74. We have got, by virtue of making a group booking, the group booking rate, with a breakfast per room thrown in. So, at E66 per room (for two occupants) with one breakfast, you are actually saving nearly E15 per night, which is better off in your pocket to allow you to buy, say, 10 beers down at the Drie Ringen brewery. The manager is unsure as to why Envergure is offering the basic room price (E55) as a standard price, because as far as he is aware, there is no Campanile offering a room at that price in NL, and it is an internal company cost price required by Envergure per room per night. Hence, if he had received a room booking through Envergure, he would have accepted the booking, but then you would have been hit with a bill for E74 (his standard room price).

So, to cap it all: local price, double room, per night, E 74. Breakfast extra per person, E6.95.

empeg group booking, E66 per room per night, with one breakfast free (you pay the second yourself). Single occupancy is E33 + E19 with one breakfast free.

I hope that sorts things out for you all. I should have posted this straight off: I was totally unaware that the Envergure website was posting that price, and frankly - I don't give a toss! This way you get a room guaranteed, at an agreed price.

I hope it suits you all. Keep booking those rooms folks - you are now allowed to book until June 6th (please use the website instead of mailing me direct). Any special wishes, mail me seperately AFTER you have booked through the web site.

Re: Hotel bookings - 02/06/2003 16:03

Thanks for the update, Rob!

A note about the website booking: there does not appear to be an obvious way for me (or others) to specify that they are coming alone but would like to share a double room with some other random willing person.

Cheers

Re: Hotel bookings - 03/06/2003 11:23

Nor is there a way to specify which night you're staying when it's only one night.

Pim

Re: Hotel bookings - 03/06/2003 13:17

Just email Rob Schofield or myself with additional notes.

Rob

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - 08/06/2003 17:33

Okay guys, a friend of mine has decided that he'd like to come to the owners meet so I'm looking at the cheapest way to get there. I looked up easyjet and it looks like it'll be about £90 per person, that's flying from Liverpool to Amsterdam. I've also looked at taking a car on the ferry from Hull to Rotterdam but that looks like it'll be about £300. Any better deals out there to be had?

Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - Hotel is booked! - 23/06/2003 14:45

You'll be glad to know that all those who have made bookings through the event website have got rooms booked for them. We have got 23 rooms booked, and are the largest single party of people in the hotel over the weekend.

Confirmation emails will be going out tomorrow (Tues 24th June). Please read and check that they are OK: they match what the hotel has got down for you. If there is a problem, MAIL ME IMMEDIATELY in order that we can sort things out as fast as possible.

There are still a number of rooms available at the hotel: if anyone wants to make a last minute booking, please do so through the event booking form and it'll go onto the same group booking with the posted discount. Don't leave it too long though - we are ordering the food in the next two days so although you can book a room, if you want feeding you have to book NOW.

It's shaping up to be a damn' good event, with nearly 50 people attending - a big increase on last year, with many more ladies in attendance.

To remind you, on the day there'll be:

- RC cars in the car park (bring your own!)
- virtual reality buggy driving by remote control
- a Bring and Buy boot sale (bring those Euros!!!) - I know one owner is bringing a Sat Nav system to sell on the day - what will you bring?
- numerous competitions, prizes
- a raffle with an Empeg as the main prize (among other goodies)
- picnic lunch in the car park
- the empeg Crew bring over exciting new, and never-before-seen products they have under development (with perhaps a special surprise or two...)
- massive BBQ with local beer
- the world-famous Feely Bag Game!!!!
- Cannon shooting (at least until the neighbours get pissed off)
- Patrick's incredible (but true) after dinner stories

...and many other exciting events.

So are YOU gonna be there?

See ya in Amersfoort!

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - Hotel is booked! - 23/06/2003 15:27

all those who have made bookings through the event website have got rooms booked for them.
I couldn't remember if I did it through the website or just talking to you in email. Does my family have a room reserved at the Campanile?

Re: Owner's meet 2003, Amersfoort - Hotel is booked! - 23/06/2003 16:36

Yep Tony, you're on the list. There's no getting out of it now

Rob
Posted by: Mach

Re: Hotel bookings - 26/06/2003 06:14

I've had a last minute schedule change and won't get in on Friday night until late(between 11 and 12). Do I need to call the hotel to guarantee late arrival? What time does the last train from Amsterdam run? Thanks!

Re: Hotel bookings - 26/06/2003 14:28

Don't worry about late check in, I'll make sure you will be able to do so

The last train to Amersfoort, note NOT Amersfoort Schothorst (where the event is) is 12:36 AM, although I don't advise you leave it that late. We will be leaving Amersfoort on the coach back to the hotel around 1 AM, so you should try and get there before this so that you can come back on the coach with us.

I will be posting directions to the various locations closer to the date for people arriving at different times. PLEASE NOTE that after 6 PM Friday we will NOT be able to collect anyone from railway stations, airports, etc. since the alcohol will have started at this point: however, taxis are cheap and plentiful in NL and Amersfoort in particular.

This does tend to imply you will miss the ribs competition at the Kluijf - shame

Excited.. - 27/06/2003 01:48

I only want to point out that I'm so excited about the Amersfoort meeting. I count the days backwards, no I'm counting the hours :-).

Do we have some Stickers with names or something in this range? I'm sure I won't know who you are when I see you...

Rolf
Posted by: Mach

Re: Hotel bookings - 27/06/2003 03:03

Yeah, I'm disappointed but we'll get there eventually. I've got a meeting until 5pm on Friday which I'm hoping doesn't run over. After that, I'm on a plane to Amsterdam. Please post the details and we'll work out the timings to catch up with you on Friday night. Thanks!

Re: Hotel bookings - 27/06/2003 03:46

In reply to:

I've got a meeting until 5pm on Friday

Yeah, I know how that feels

Re: Excited.. - 27/06/2003 04:38

Rob S is producing some name stickers.

Rob
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: Excited.. - 27/06/2003 04:50

Argh!

Flashback to childhood...

Re: Excited.. - 27/06/2003 05:53

Re: Excited.. - 27/06/2003 05:59

Yes, that's some sort of what I've thought. Instread of "Hello" there could be an Empeg-Sign ;-).

Rolf

Re: Excited.. - 27/06/2003 09:49

Of course, each sticker would need to have two names. The person's name and their BBS handle.

Re: Excited.. - 28/06/2003 12:30

It's obvious that Tony hasn't been to a European empeg owners meet before....

I just heard a rumour... - 28/06/2003 12:34

... that something pretty exciting in the way of software may materialise at the owner's meet next weekend. Yeah, no joke, no windup....

No, not just a bit of shareware or something like that - I mean, something rilly, rilly special that affects the future of the player - you know, One-poiint-Ooh! stuff that lays a few foundation stones to make sure this toy we all love stays ahead of the pack....

Re: I just heard a rumour... - 28/06/2003 13:43

So someone with GPRS should put it online for the rest of us after they get it

(I have to work, and can't come)

Re: I just heard a rumour... - 28/06/2003 14:09

In reply to:

that something pretty exciting in the way of software may materialise at the owner's meet next weekend.

Oh my god! I can't frickin' wait!

Re: I just heard a rumour... - 28/06/2003 15:01

You may just get what you wish for....

...may you live in interesting times..

The old chinese curse - 28/06/2003 17:18

I've been living in interesting times for a while. Found out I needed to go to Manhattan for the other job last Friday. Went yesterday, and they realized, "oops, we should've asked for you to come Monday."

At least they're cool about it, and didn't ask me to come back Monday, but instead only to be near a phone and a computer.

See also pissing off my boss's boss at the first job, and some other various stuff. Very interesting times, indeed.

Re: I just heard a rumour... - 29/06/2003 00:28

They can't release something intresting i'm not on a ship

Re: I just heard a rumour... - 29/06/2003 01:12

OK - you'll have to stay on the ferry across the channel

/Michael

Re: I just heard a rumour... - 29/06/2003 01:16

ah i never thought of that but i think i am getting the same ferry as the empeg boys

How many folk are going for the friday morning sailing from harwich on the HSS

Re: I just heard a rumour... - 29/06/2003 01:56

Just don't do a Rudolph Diesel in exasperation!

Re: I just heard a rumour... - 29/06/2003 22:34

One-poiint-Ooh! stuff

Oh, man, you are killing me. I might have to travel to the Netherlands and have a beer to stay calm! Rilly looking forward to this.

Thankfully, the weather here *finally* turned to sh*t today, so I can bear to tear myself away. Not sure i could take anymore of this anyway.

So...how's the weather? Any last minute tips? Are fluorescent plaid Bermuda shorts considered acceptable dinner attire in Amersfoort, or would I stand out too much?

Re: I just heard a rumour... - 29/06/2003 23:59

The weather is fine, one of the hottest summers since ever.
The shorts will be fine, too... So everyone can identify you immediately...

see you at the meet,

Thomas

P.S.: the weather is changing fast in holland, better be prepared...

Spare Parts - 01/07/2003 10:08

Can anyone wanting spare parts please mail me off list so that I can bag them up in advance and have them ready for the weekend.

Don't wait to long to order - no spares on the day, people!!!

Bring and Buy/Boot Sale - 01/07/2003 10:11

Don't forget to bring over those items you have been wanting to get rid of for ages - no commission, cash only sales! Whether it's a Sat Nav, Old speakers, Old Junk, whatever - your junk may be someone's treasure!

Get those boots/trunks/coffers packed with Saleable Stuff (TM), folks!

RC Cars/vehicles - 01/07/2003 10:14

Don't forget we are having an informal race/show/whatever involving anything RC: Patrick (a ka GOD) is bringing over some pretty special hardware that you will have to see (literally) to believe/drive/fly (?). There's the Racing Mini. There's the Mini Maserati. There's the Masterful Motor. The ....

Well, what are YOU going to bring?

Re: I just heard a rumour... - 01/07/2003 10:16

It's No Rumour! It's Gonna Be Here, folks!

Be there, or be sq.... No, be deprived

Brewery Website - 01/07/2003 11:25

We are visiting the Drie Ringen Brouwerij (the Three Rings Brewery) on Friday, and they are also providing the beer for the BBQ.

Flying Saucers and Rockets - 01/07/2003 11:42

For those with an interest in these things -

We have a limited set of Rokit kits (water powered Coke bottle rockets) and Flying Saucer spinning tops (with LEDs) for sale at Amersfoort this weekend, either at the boot sale or the BBQ. Depending on the amount of beer drunk, demos in the back garden

Re: Flying Saucers and Rockets - 01/07/2003 12:17

Is there a reason I should bring my laptop? I'm leaning towards leaving it behind.

Re: Flying Saucers and Rockets - 01/07/2003 14:39

Not that I can think of, no.

Last minute request - 02/07/2003 08:19

If there's anyone yet to travel from the States, any chance you could pick up a USB/Ethernet adaptor for me (cash on arrival)?

Either a DLINK DU-E100, Linksys USB10T or LInksys USB100TX would do it, but ONLY those models.

Sorry, I think I left it a bit too late but if there's any chance, grab one for me please!

Re: Last minute request - 02/07/2003 08:51

I make no promises, but it's not too late for me to pick that up.

Re: Last minute request - 02/07/2003 08:52

If there's anyone yet to travel from the States, any chance you could pick up a USB/Ethernet adaptor for me (cash on arrival)?

Either a DLINK DU-E100, Linksys USB10T or LInksys USB100TX would do it, but ONLY those models.
Are they that rare in the Netherlands, or that cheap in the US? Dabs in the UK sells USB10T for £32 (but on 1-3 days' availability, so I can't get them in for you in time for the departees).

Peter

Re: Last minute request - 02/07/2003 09:20

Never been able to find any of them, to tell the truth. The last price I saw in the States was $46. If you can pick them for 32 quid from Dabs, then let me see if Rob has any luck, and if not, I'll contact you. I seem to recall Dabs being reluctant to ship out of the UK, which is why I've not ordered direct.

Re: I just heard a rumour... - 02/07/2003 10:38

P.S.: the weather is changing fast in holland, better be prepared...

Damn! Can't find my plaid shorts or UtiliKilt!!

I have a travel question for anybody who is feeling advice-prone at the meet.

In a moment of *good* paranoia, I drove out to the airport to get my ticket re-cut instead of risking a clusterf*ck in the morning. Sure enough, a leg they left on there -- Heathrow to Dublin -- was not "legal" on my new open-jaw itinerary. So I imagine I'll take the opportunity to meander from Cambridge/London to Holyhead on the train and catch a ferry to Dublin. Looks easy. This could give me a day or two to dawdle in London and I have never been to Wales.

So, does this seem like a plan? Is there any place I should stop and see? A more interesting route? One web site I saw said "Don't take the train", but no explanation of why. Other thoughts?

Ooooh and I got changed from a 6:30 AM departure to 9:30 AM. Ahhhh.
Posted by: altman

Re: Last minute request - 02/07/2003 12:08

Last batch of USB100TX's I got for the office were from PC world down the road; if they still sell them then myself/Rob could definitely pick one up before the trip.

Hugo
Posted by: sn00p

Re: I just heard a rumour... - 02/07/2003 13:11

...i take it you've not heard of all the train "disasters" we keep having in the UK then?!

Adrian

Re: Last minute request - 02/07/2003 14:41

Yes please!

Re: Last minute request - 02/07/2003 14:44

Pity i didn't read this before leaving aberdeen as i have one that is all lonely and unwanted sitting in my house

Re: I just heard a rumour... - 02/07/2003 16:16

.i take it you've not heard of all the train "disasters" we keep having in the UK then?!

Actually, these have made the news and I was aware of them, but wondered if things had actually gotten so bad that the relative risk of train travel compared unfavorably to getting there by car.

If anyone wants to give me an earful about the situation in Amersfoort, I'd be interested in hearing about it. My gut reaction was that the breakup/privatization of rail seemed like not the smart way to improve the situation, but I'm interested to know what the dope is.

Re: I just heard a rumour... - 03/07/2003 03:03

Trains in the North West and Wales have been susceptible to more than average planned strikes/stoppages over the last year, I have been to check with the information point at the main station here, and none are planned for the period in question. Here is the railway timetable site, which you may find useful: www.rail.co.uk/ukrail/planner/planner.htm.

I've just been in mid-Wales for the week, it's gorgeous, I would love to have shown you round, but you do need a car.

Given your time span, I would split your time between London and Dublin - for me, the bias would be to the latter. Ferry crossing would not be a problem, but neither would flying, and that would give you more time in both.

Re: I just heard a rumour... - 03/07/2003 03:07

The link you want is this.

Re: I just heard a rumour... - 03/07/2003 10:37

You won't get to see as much on the way, but you can pick up very inexpensive flights from London Stanstead or London Luton to Dublin with a budget airline such as Ryanair. If you don't mind travelling at an off peak time you can often get a flight for as little as £10 (plus taxes, which are higher than the cost of the fare!).

Rob