My primary Rio almost died today...

Posted by: LiFTeD2X

My primary Rio almost died today... - 24/04/2003 18:31

I have been having problems lately with my IDE cable after I added a second hdd drive several months ago. After numerous operations on my Rio Empeg over these past weeks to glue, tape, or whatever it takes until I get a response from Support. My final operation was yesterday removing the secondary HDD since I gave up on taping, and glueing it down. And finally my Empeg shut itself off while driving today. I quickly park to the side, and shut the engine off to remove the Empeg so no further electrical damage can take place. I removed it and shook it and hear some screw(s) moving about. So I knew something was up and waited until after work to investigate and hoping everything will be okay after I clean the mess inside. I just removed the screw(s) and found out that it all the screws I put in myself weren't tight. The screws I used were from cd-rom drives. The one that fell had only one washer and the other 3 had 2 washers. I'm pretty lucky for now, I am going to use the original factory screws for now on my primary and backup empegs...

Another note, my volume knob is getting loose from over usage -- how can i fix that?
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: My primary Rio almost died today... - 25/04/2003 04:38

Greetings.

The knob might be an easy fix.
Posted by: DWallach

Re: My primary Rio almost died today... - 25/04/2003 09:38

The screws I used to hold in my second drive came out as well. My original, temporary, solution was to put small squares of duct tape over the screws. My permanent solution was the liberal application of hot-melt glue. Those screws aren't going anywhere (although replacing the hard drive will be a big pain when I want to do it).
Posted by: tman

Re: My primary Rio almost died today... - 25/04/2003 09:45

I used a tiny bit of thread locker on each of the screws. Seems to work fine and it's still easy enough to unscrew it.
The stuff I use is made by Locktite.

- Trevor
Posted by: genixia

Re: My primary Rio almost died today... - 25/04/2003 13:52

...I'd advise using the blue locktite, not the red. (Red is extremely strong and intended really for permanent use or for large bolts where head stripping isn't an issue)
Posted by: tman

Re: My primary Rio almost died today... - 25/04/2003 14:14

Don't do what one of my friends with slightly less common sense did and use epoxy as thread locker in his car...

- Trevor
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: My primary Rio almost died today... - 26/04/2003 21:15

I'll double that recommendation. I use the blue to keep the screws holding the disc brake rotors on my downhill bike in place.