Corvette C5 Installs

Posted by: dang

Corvette C5 Installs - 25/08/2003 01:05

Just got a '99 C5 and I want my empeg functionality. I've grown somewhat accustomed... :-) However, the stock head unit and 12-disc changer would be nice to keep around as well.

I did a search and saw one gentleman's heroic efforts to do the same - which involved heavy modifications to the AC controls... don't think I'm that brave with my new baby.

Any other C5 owners out there with some advice for me?

Thanks!

Dan
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: Corvette C5 Installs - 25/08/2003 13:55

saw one gentleman's heroic efforts to do the same

pics here and here for posterity.
Posted by: dang

Re: Corvette C5 Installs - 25/08/2003 19:04

Many thanks.
Posted by: caseyse

Re: Corvette C5 Installs - 25/08/2003 20:52

Thos pics look as if the individual placed the amp where the climate control is located (I have the duel control). I had attempted an install using a conversion adapter to the OEM head unit. I thought since each of the Bose speakers had their own built-in amp, I could get away with it. Well, they aren't powered enough as my empeg only put out a low volume level.

So, I decided to pay (through the nose) and have the stock head unit and my 12-disc changer (who needs it with the empeg) removed, and installed an MCC404M (4 channel) and a bridged MCC301M (2 channel) McIntosh amps (M=blue eyes), both on a removable platform behind the seats. Have 4 ADS 641is (I believe), two front and two in the rear, plus a sub in a glass box sunk into the large storage compartment. The two smaller side compartments store the crossovers, sharing space with my Penske shock nitrogen gas canisters. With both amps, I also needed to install a 5 farad capacitor to help the amps fire-up. Very clean sound. When running with the targa top off, I can crank full volume without any distortion I encode using EAC w. LAME at 256.

I do road race the car at Willow Springs' 2.5 mile track several times a year, so I remove the amps and woofer, which takes me about 45 minutes.

I currently have the car at a body shop for color matching a carbon fiber hood (saves 20 Lbs), but can post a couple of shots later this week if you like.

Sean

Found a couple of pictures...

www.droptail.com/svc/empeg.jpg

www.droptail.com/svc/amps.jpg