Hijack Config

Posted by: Narkotic

Hijack Config - 19/09/2003 11:33

Hey guys, is there any way to disable the force DC power mode w/out using the front display? Where does hijack store its configurations... i looked in the config file for the empeg but didn't see anything in particular. Thanks;

Posted by: tonyc

Re: Hijack Config - 19/09/2003 11:40

Hey guys, is there any way to disable the force DC power mode w/out using the front display?
Mark stores that stuff in flash. You'd have to have some little program to write a single bit (or maybe 2 bits) to the flash. Wouldn't be terribly hard to do but if you write to the wrong flash location, you might end up screwing something up.

Re: Hijack Config - 19/09/2003 13:23

hmm... if that were the case, then I should also just be albe to re-load the firmware on the player then reload hijack and it should be back to defaults? I tried that and it still stayed on dc power mode.
Posted by: tman

Re: Hijack Config - 19/09/2003 13:24

The flash area it's saving to isn't affected by upgrades. The upgrader only puts the kernel into flash and doesn't touch the rest of the memory.
Posted by: tonyc

Re: Hijack Config - 19/09/2003 13:25

hmm... if that were the case, then I should also just be albe to re-load the firmware on the player then reload hijack and it should be back to defaults?
IIRC, the 128-byte flash block doesn't get erased/initialized by a firmware upgrade.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Hijack Config - 19/09/2003 13:26

What exactly is your intended application? Why do you want to use something else other than the front panel to control that?

Re: Hijack Config - 19/09/2003 13:27

I'd say he's trying to do it because he's the one that extended the display cable and blew something...

Re: Hijack Config - 19/09/2003 13:28

Just thinking of something actually... does the VNC server display the hijack overlays or does it just do the normal player display?

Re: Hijack Config - 19/09/2003 13:29

You are correct.

Re: Hijack Config - 19/09/2003 13:31

The VNC server is something I would have to install, correct? I dont think thers any way to do that while the player is in DC mode, because FTP and HTTP are disabled... which is why I want to disable force DC mode.

Any programmers want to try and make me a little piece of flash code that would change the bit for me?

Re: Hijack Config - 19/09/2003 13:37

If ethernet works, use my EmpegFace utility at my home page.
Posted by: genixia

Re: Hijack Config - 19/09/2003 13:43

Possibly,

If you hadn't used any other hijack feature since forcing the power mode then you can do it fairly easily by touch.

Boot up.
Long press knob.
Short press knob,
Cycle mode (Right knob click cycles Normal->AC->DC->Normal ad infinitum).
Short press knob,
Press left and right buttons together. (should reboot)

If you have used another hijack feature since forcing the power mode, then this wont work. If you can remember what feature it was then we should be able to count through them too.

Re: Hijack Config - 19/09/2003 14:34

I have NO display face on whatsoever. No buttons, no VFD, nothing. But thanks

Re: Hijack Config - 19/09/2003 14:36

That will not work because I would need HTTP or FTP services, which Hijack disables when in DC_Carmode.......

Re: Hijack Config - 19/09/2003 14:38

If you just want the FTP and HTTP servers you could just put "dc_servers=1" into the hijack section of your config you know...
It's in the Hijack FAQ

Re: Hijack Config - 19/09/2003 14:57

Well I thought that would work (it should), but it does not. UGH

Re: Hijack Config - 19/09/2003 15:03

GOT IT! I owe you a beer man.

Re: Hijack Config - 19/09/2003 15:04

BTW, Tony. This program you made kicks ass. Thanks for giving me a virtual face until I get the real one fixed.

Re: Hijack Config - 19/09/2003 15:15

No problem! Glad you've got a temporary solution. Sorry I don't know how to fix the actual hardware, since you've done all the things I know about (checking fuses etc).
Posted by: mwest

Re: Hijack Config - 19/09/2003 15:28

WHOA... WHERE'VE I BEEN... EMPEGFACE IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!

Re: Hijack Config - 19/09/2003 15:34

Thank you! I'm glad you like it!

Dunno why I decided to code it when there were already other perfectly-good remote-control applications available. Sometimes I just get this wild hair to make a little VB app and it just hit me then. If I recall correctly, it did so at an inconvenient time, when I was preparing for the trip to Europe.
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: Hijack Config - 19/09/2003 15:35

Um, Oklahoma?

<runs for cover>

Re: Hijack Config - 22/09/2003 14:12

Hey Tony... have you ever thought of button hacking EmpegFace?
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: Hijack Config - 22/09/2003 15:27

It's freeform skinnable. You can do anything you want with the buttons.

Re: Hijack Config - 22/09/2003 15:33

Actually, I do have a version of the skin that is a photo of my buttonhacked face. Dunno if I included it in the last release of the software or not. If so, the skin would be called "photo" in the zip file. If not, I can post it here if there's interest.

Re: Hijack Config - 22/09/2003 15:37

Just checked it-- the last version does in fact have the buttonhacked face as an available skin. Just go into the config screen and enter "photo" for the skin.

Re: Hijack Config - 22/09/2003 15:45

Very cool... Thanks... It looks great. My network is goofing me up though. The program is having trouble refreshing. If I open Emplode it refreshes and goes for a while and then hangs again.

Re: Hijack Config - 22/09/2003 15:52

Hmm, I never tested it simultaneously with Emplode...