empeg Owner's meet in London?

Posted by: Roger

empeg Owner's meet in London? - 09/01/2004 09:55

I'm not thinking of a full-blown Amersfoort style meet, for two reasons:

1. There's nowhere to park in London.
2. I don't have the necessary organisational skills.

Instead, this is just a thinly-veiled way for me to find some new drinking buddies who live or work in or near London.

Owner's Meet in London: You interested?
Yes
Possibly
No
I don't live anywhere near London, you insensitive clod

If enough people are interested, I'll look into the possibility of booking some space in a pub in Central London (or wherever else is suggested).
Posted by: h_blake

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 09/01/2004 10:00

Roger,

Any time you fancy a lunchtime or after work beer I'm at London Bridge and don't need too much persuasion!

BTW theres a pub that does a good Thai curry just around the corner from where I work...
Posted by: furtive

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 09/01/2004 10:07

I'd be up for that. Work on Fleet Street, live in Limehouse.
Posted by: frog51

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 09/01/2004 10:07

Well, I'm based in Edinburgh, but my head office is next to HMS Belfast, and I'm supposed to go there on a fairly regular basis so if there is enough notice I should be able to wangle it.
Posted by: h_blake

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 09/01/2004 10:09

I can see the Belfast from here if I look out of the window.

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 09/01/2004 10:11

I float past it twice a day...
Posted by: andym

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 09/01/2004 10:26

I can always think up some bullshit reason to come to london if needs be.
Posted by: skibum

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 09/01/2004 10:45

I used to work opposite Ye Olde Chershire Cheese pub (up the alley). That was at least 6 lifetimes ago however.

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 09/01/2004 10:47

Well, you see that big shiny glass building (not the round thing the mayor of London hangs out in, but the next one along)

Our Advanced Solutions Centre is hidden away in there - great place for techies. We nearly managed to wangle a big Origin 2000 for it, but the powers that be decided there were enough blinkenlichts from all the other machines so we couldn't have it.

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 09/01/2004 10:48

why? on a water taxi? or just hangin' out on the waves, dude?
Posted by: webroach

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 09/01/2004 10:50

We nearly managed to wangle a big Origin 2000 for it...

It's not quite as nice as an O2K, but if you guys feel like paying the shipping from the U.S., I could provide a nifty Challenge L.

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 09/01/2004 10:54

Watertaxi

http://www.thamesclippers.com

Much less stressful way to get to work than the tube.
Posted by: julf

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 10/01/2004 04:01

Given enough notice, I could even catch Easyjet down to London. Speaking of which, I will actually have a free weekend (it's been quite a while since last time - usually it's just in for a business meeting and out again) with my girlfriend in London in a couple of weeks. Anything on the *must see* list, assuming last time I actually had real spare time in London must have been 4 or 5 years ago?
Posted by: tman

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 10/01/2004 04:50

Yep. I'd be up for that. I'm usually in central London most of the time anyway.

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 10/01/2004 04:53

Neat. I've seen them before but never realised that they were watertaxis. Getting squashed against the tube doors does get old very fast. I'm just glad it's not like the Tokyo underground system where they actually employ people to push you in.
Posted by: gui

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 10/01/2004 05:09

Any objections to an ex empeg owner (3 times) and regular lurker here tagging along?

I did pay full retail for a mk1 and 2 mk2s he says trying to justify the current emeg-less situation...
Posted by: andy

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 10/01/2004 12:36

The London Eye is worth doing if you haven't done it already. I think it is closed for maintenance at the moment though.
Posted by: g_attrill

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 10/01/2004 13:20

I think it is closed for maintenance at the moment though.

Probably cleaning of the scorch marks from the fireworks...
Posted by: boxer

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 11/01/2004 13:11

Fleet Street, Cheshire Cheese, you're really taking me back, I only left Fleet Street for Yorkshire for a one year stint in '72, but never got back. My old firm's HQ was Chronicle House, 72 - 78 Fleet Street (right opposite the CC), I don't know if it's even still there.
Always looking for a good excuse for a journey through the past, not that that would describe an Empeg meet!
Posted by: Cris

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 11/01/2004 14:01

Roger,

I'm gunna be in London the 30th and 31st of Jan on the piss

Although, like Andy, I'm sure I can find an excuse to get down to the Big Smoke anytime

I'm not sure where in London I'm going to be yet (I've heard its quite a big place lol) it's sure to be pretty central.

Cheers

Cris.
Posted by: 753

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 11/01/2004 18:49

I could provide a nifty Challenge L.

You mean for free? I am certainly interested should frog51 not be and provided the offer stands for other empeggers as well. A real MIPS machine would be a cool thing to have for my Computer Architecture and related classes given that we currently do MIPS datapaths, MIPS assembler, etc... without even having a MIPS machine at our University . Doesn't the Challenge L have multiple CPUs? The shipping costs across the pond probably shouldn't be underestimated. Any idea what the baby weighs?

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 12/01/2004 02:53

The Challenge L is multiprocessor capable. If it's an L then it one of the deskside cases and can fit 3 CPU boards. Depending on what CPU family you use, you can have up to a maximum of 6 or 12. The Challenge series don't come with a graphics subsystem but I think you can use an Extreme graphics subsystem if you get the right adapter.

It's not going to be light but it's not as a bad as the rackmount case. The rackmount case fully populated was around 350kg.
Posted by: ricin

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 12/01/2004 03:14

According to the Owner's Guide:

Height 26 inches (65 cm)
Width 21 inches (54 cm)
Depth 29 inches (74 cm)
Weight
195 lbs (89 kg)—minimum
300 lbs (136 kg)—in shipping carton

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 12/01/2004 04:27

Hmm - that sounds very tempting. Just let me go off and find out how much shipping would be
Posted by: 753

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 12/01/2004 08:49

300 lbs (136 kg)

Hefty. Most likely hefty enough to make it more cost-efficient to find something over here.
Posted by: g_attrill

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 12/01/2004 11:48

Dunno, find somebody importing a containerised car and scrounge some space in one corner. Unfortunately I'm only RoRo'ing one 'cos I'm a cheapskate!

Gareth

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 12/01/2004 12:39

OK, so it looks like we've got enough people interested. Do we want to try for a weekday after work, or a weekend?

Evening or Weekend
An evening (not Friday) after work
Friday after work
The weekend would be better
Both, dammit. I just can't get enough empeg-related goodness
Not bothered, I'll come to either

...then I'll start thinking about actual dates and venues...

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 13/01/2004 07:15

Well, I'm trying to get down to London for most of the week beginning 8th of March for Websec2004 and my only evening booked up so far is the Tuesday, so the Monday or Wednesday would be ideal for me.

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 13/01/2004 10:10

I'm gunna be in London the 30th and 31st of Jan on the piss

And I'm going to be there Jan 31 and Feb 1st...

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 13/01/2004 10:11

The London Eye is worth doing if you haven't done it already.

Was actually thinking about it.
I think it is closed for maintenance at the moment though.

Hmm. Have to check out how long the maintenance will last.

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 13/01/2004 10:13

I only left Fleet Street for Yorkshire for a one year stint in '72

I can see the attraction of Yorkshire. 2 of my landies are stored near Harrogate at the moment...

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 13/01/2004 10:22

stored near Harrogate at the moment

I'm also stored near Harrogate at the moment!
On the dates that you and that nice Cris mention, I will, however, be at Aberdovey in Wales, which is, significantly, where the British Army learned how to use their DUKW's in the last conflict - I, and the boxers, like the seaside in winter: Bracing!

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 13/01/2004 10:26

Looks like the London Eye opens again Feb 1st

http://www.londoneye.co.uk/

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 14/01/2004 03:49

Looks like the London Eye opens again Feb 1st

As I will be in London Jan 31 and Feb 1, this might work out quite well! Excellent!

[edit] Ummh, the opening hours only show it being open starting Feb 2, but they seem to take bookings starting Jan 31 - go figure!

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 14/01/2004 04:10

Weird. Their opening times page says "5 January - 4 February 2004: closed for annual maintenance". I'd say try and find something else to do and not bank on it being open

Tate Modern is not bad if you like going around galleries. Most of it is free as well.
Posted by: bubbanz

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 14/01/2004 10:24

Can I come even though I left my empeg in its box back in New Zealand?

I'm all up for a thinly veiled excuse to make new drinking buddies. :-)

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 14/01/2004 11:14

All are welcome, as are partners and family - in fact, anyone interested may attend, whether you are an empeg owner or not

It's not my gig, but I would think that this sentence from the announcement of the 2000 Amersfoort meet is as true for this, as it was for that.
Posted by: mlord

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 14/01/2004 22:17

Well, even if the Eye is closed, you can still gawk at it, or at photos of it..

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 15/01/2004 04:57

Nice ones!
Posted by: Cris

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 15/01/2004 07:29

julf,

Do you want to meet up for a drink on the 31st then ??? I think I am placing you right as the guy with the stealth "I've hidden my empeg in some rocks" install at last years Euro meet.

I'm sure I owe a beer anyway

Cheers

Cris.

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 15/01/2004 07:45

Do you want to meet up for a drink on the 31st then ???

Sure! But part of the schedule is determined by my girlfriend. I'll let you know as it comes together.
I think I am placing you right as the guy with the stealth "I've hidden my empeg in some rocks" install at last years Euro meet.

Well, the speakers were in the rocks. The Empeg was in a military radio bag, and the subwoofer in the russian wooden crate

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 16/01/2004 03:01

As far as I can work out, these are the next four free weekends that I have.

I know that the 31st is a bit close to make it easy to organise, but I will say this: Even if we don't choose to have the meet-up on that date, I've got a weekend pass (my g/f is in New York), so if anyone's around, I'd be happy to meet for a beer or two...

Pick a Date
Saturday Jan 31st
Saturday Feb 7th
Saturday Feb 21st
Saturday Mar 27th
None of the Above

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 16/01/2004 04:18

Ah. Ignore the 7th February, I can't make it that day.
Posted by: maurij

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 17/01/2004 06:47

count one more in. i live in central london so anytime works for me

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 22/01/2004 12:11

OK, it looks like Saturday Feb 21st is shoe-in, with 8 people specifically interested in that date. So my plan at this point is to look at booking a piece of a pub (possibly a function room, but I'm not sure) somewhere in central London, probably Covent Garden area, because it's generally easy to get to. TBH, though, it might not be necessary to book if there's only going to be 8 or 9 of us.

I'm thinking that it'd be a late afternoon into the evening gig, probably starting around 3pm or 4pm and continuing until the pub kicks us out (i.e. 11pm). This way, people who have to head off early still have a fighting chance of meeting others.

I'm not planning to organise food, but I'll try to find a pub that does food, and then people can sort themselves out as necessary. Otherwise, if there's enough momentum, we can move to a curry house or chinese or something similar during the evening.

Any objections?

If you're planning to come (even if you voted already), could you PM me, please? Then I can start collecting email addresses and handing out my phone number and stuff.

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 22/01/2004 13:06

I sadly won't be able to make it as it's my wedding anniversary.

There is a huge bar on Tavistock Street though that allows you to reserve big tables that seat about 10 - 15 people. Can't for the life of me remember what it's called though.

And the Mongolian BBQ is just down the road.

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 28/01/2004 12:36

If you're planning to come (even if you voted already), could you PM me, please?

*bump*
Posted by: peter

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 28/01/2004 12:42

OK, it looks like Saturday Feb 21st is shoe-in
Surely it's a shoo-in? I always thought the reference was to livestock handling, where a flock or herd that could be corralled just by waving at it and calling "Shoo!" made for an unexpectedly easy job...

Peter

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 28/01/2004 12:50

shoe-in vs shoo-in

It's a fair cop, guv. There's a good number of websites (including professional news and sports ones) getting it wrong, though.

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 06/02/2004 04:48

*bump*

Still looking for numbers: I'll have to go and scope out some venues and look at booking soon. However, if it's just going to be the 5 people who already PM'ed me, then we can probably get away without booking.

So, even if you've already told me you're coming, or just figure you'll roll up anyway, please send me PM to give me some idea of the numbers.

This includes anyone from Cambridge who feels like coming down for a few jars and figures that they'll just phone me on the day.

Thanks.

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 18/02/2004 09:38

I'll have to go and scope out some venues and look at booking soon.

I'm heading out this evening to the vague area, so I'll be looking at venues. There's only 5-6 people who've responded, so I'll not bother booking anything.

My current thinking is that we'll meet in the Porterhouse at around 3pm and see where we go from there. If I find a better venue this evening, then I'll make another reply to this thread.

Those of you who have PM'ed me to say you're coming/possibly coming will shortly be receiving my mobile number as a PM.

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 20/02/2004 05:28

OK. I'll be in the Porterhouse from 3pm on Saturday 21st February. I've PM'ed people with my mobile number in case they can't find it or me.

The Porterhouse is at 21-22 Maiden Lane, just off Covent Garden.

More information can be found about the Porterhouse here, including a map.

A simple "Roger recognition guide" is attached, since I've had a bit of a haircut since my avatar was taken.

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 20/02/2004 06:38

Glad you sent that new photo, not sure I would have recognised you from the avatar...

I look something like this:

Posted by: jbauer

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 20/02/2004 10:55

I may see you guys there too!

- Jon
Posted by: mac

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 20/02/2004 13:34

A simple "Roger recognition guide" is attached, since I've had a bit of a haircut since my avatar was taken.

And I don't think I've ever seen a picture of you that looked less like you...

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 02/03/2004 12:16

Here's some pix. Sorry so late. Just got a chance to post these.

- Jon

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 02/03/2004 12:19

# 2.

- Jon
Posted by: andym

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 02/03/2004 12:45

Cool! The scary thing is I recognise every one of you. Apart from Jon who must be taking the picture.

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 02/03/2004 17:04

2 more pictures that I took in London that some of you US dudes might like...

I know it has a small engine, but don't it look cool?

- Jon

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 02/03/2004 17:07

# 2...

It's a Smart Roadster...

- Jon
Posted by: tfabris

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 02/03/2004 17:08

I know it has a small engine, but don't it look cool?
Engine? I thought that was the model where both the driver and the passenger had to pedal.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 02/03/2004 20:42

I think it's very cool. The front end is great. The back end should be a bit longer so it can have a little more of what my friends call a "cam back" (don't know if that's good car lingo or not) where it sweeps back up a little instead of being quite so chopped off.
Posted by: Mataglap

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 02/03/2004 21:41

Yeah, it does look pretty cool. I'd be concerned about driving something that small over here, though. These days even a normal sized coupe is dwarfed by the SUVs, pickups, and trucks.

--Nathan
Posted by: tanstaafl.

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 03/03/2004 15:21

"cam back" (don't know if that's good car lingo or not)

Very nearly...

It is actually Kamm Back or Kammback.

The reference is to German aerodynamicist Wunibald Kamm, who in the 1930s and '40s developed the concept of the short, upswept tail on a car as a means of increasing stability and reducing drag. Do a Google search for Wunibald Kamm and you'll get about 100 hits referring to designs using his theories, although not a lot of information about Kamm himself.

tanstaafl.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: empeg Owner's meet in London? - 03/03/2004 16:07

Excellent. Thanks.